Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest Smog Cam With Stock Cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXnorcal
Do they even have smog in Texas where you're at? If they do, isn't it just to check for check engine lights, etc.?
only a few counties currently do and mine if one of them. Newer cars only get obdII and visual checks. Even though my car is ls1 swapped its supposed to be obdI gets a sniffer and visual even though the obdII port is available.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

California's emissions laws will only get worse...

Been considering becoming a new resident of Texas in the future.

Based on what I'm reading here, it appears that much of Texas doesn't have emissions test other than the counties mentioned below ?

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp.../item_insp.asp

Emissions Testing Procedures

Is your vehicle required to be emissions tested?
All Texas registered vehicles are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection; however, some vehicles are required to have an emissions test in addition to the safety inspection.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Yes but those are all the good counties to live in lol. Anywhere else and its a good hour to a real city lol.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a 98 why?
because i was gonna say that u should leave your car alone and smog it with what u have. than in 2013 when its time for the smog u would not have to worry about the sniffer anymore, just a OBD2 scan and can put whatever cam u want in your car. but since your car is not a 2000 or newer that law will not apply to u.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
because i was gonna say that u should leave your car alone and smog it with what u have. than in 2013 when its time for the smog u would not have to worry about the sniffer anymore, just a OBD2 scan and can put whatever cam u want in your car. but since your car is not a 2000 or newer that law will not apply to u.
Oh, that sucks! Where did you hear they were going to be doing OBD II checks only, and no sniffer? Do you have a link you can post?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, that sucks! Where did you hear they were going to be doing OBD II checks only, and no sniffer? Do you have a link you can post?
the bill passed not to long ago. but does not go into effect till 2013. it has been on alot of cali forums. if u go into the western section there is a thread with links so u can read about them.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
the bill passed not to long ago. but does not go into effect till 2013. it has been on alot of cali forums. if u go into the western section there is a thread with links so u can read about them.
Cool, thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may be able to go a little bigger with a dead on tune and fresh cats but i dont think it would verify the cost of the swap and retune for me though.

This is about the most aggressive cam you can run: Thunder racing grinds it
xTReme 227/227 .639/.639 116 LSA
Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ebk06
Yes but those are all the good counties to live in lol. Anywhere else and its a good hour to a real city lol.
That's funny. I have a friend in Beaumont, they have no emissions there.
Or I could buy a small shot gun shack somewhere out of a major town with a mailbox.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
you may be able to go a little bigger with a dead on tune and fresh cats but i dont think it would verify the cost of the swap and retune for me though.

That would actually pass ?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatt
That's funny. I have a friend in Beaumont, they have no emissions there.
Or I could buy a small shot gun shack somewhere out of a major town with a mailbox.

It should, it's actually got less over lap than a 224/224 114 LSA cam. It wouldn't work well for a restrictive stock exhaust like I've got planned though. It would need to be an exhaust biased cam to help crutch such a restrictive setup.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should, it's actually got less over lap than a 224/224 114 LSA cam. It wouldn't work well for a restrictive stock exhaust like I've got planned though. It would need to be an exhaust biased cam to help crutch such a restrictive setup.

That's great if one can get past that sniffer. Even a 224/224 114 is a nice street cam.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya but that about as big as you can go you will need a good tune, it will also be pretty hard on valvetrain.

well you need to list the exhaust you got planned if you want help as far as cam advice. your sig says you have longtubes

something like the cheatr v3 would work well with stockish exhaust
Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM

ya but that about as big as you can go you will need a good tune, it will also be pretty hard on valvetrain.

well you need to list the exhaust you got planned if you want help as far as cam advice. your sig says you have longtubes

something like the cheatr v3 would work well with stockish exhaust
Not to be a dick, but you must have not read any of my posts lol. I keep mentioning over and over again that I'm taking the longtubes off for a stock exhaust/cats. That's the whole reason for this thread.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been wondering if there is anyone in California running a LS2 block/L92 heads or LS3 long block in a 4th Gen F-body, with a larger cam, that has legitimately made it through a smog check.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to be a dick, but you must have not read any of my posts lol. I keep mentioning over and over again that I'm taking the longtubes off for a stock exhaust/cats. That's the whole reason for this thread.
yup thats my bad, i still suggest the cheatr v3.

I've been wondering if there is anyone in California running a LS2 block/L92 heads or LS3 long block in a 4th Gen F-body, with a larger cam, that has legitimately made it through a smog check.

as CI increases it effectively decreases the size of the cam so to say, so the more cubes you have the more you can get away with but you are still limited by the factory cats and manifolds.

I am sure there have been or that could be easily done but i dont believe the cost is worth the power gains.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup thats my bad, i still suggest the cheatr v3.

as CI increases it effectively decreases the size of the cam so to say, so the more cubes you have the more you can get away with but you are still limited by the factory cats and manifolds.

I am sure there have been or that could be easily done but i dont believe the cost is worth the power gains.
If it wasn't for California emissions, I would just go with a larger cam, long tubes, bigger injectors, EGR, airtube, airpump removal and a good tune.

If my motors goes, it would be fun to go with more cubes.
There are guys running nice 500 rwhp normally aspirated with LS2 6.0L blocks and L92 or LS3 heads. But this in less restrictive states.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The lift/lobe are aggressive, but that cam still only has -5* of overlap.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it wasn't for California emissions, I would just go with a larger cam, long tubes, bigger injectors, EGR, airtube, airpump removal and a good tune.

If my motors goes, it would be fun to go with more cubes.
There are guys running nice 500 rwhp normally aspirated with LS2 6.0L blocks and L92 or LS3 heads. But this in less restrictive states.

yea it is nice, my Yuma az regisration requires no smog.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The lift/lobe are aggressive, but that cam still only has -5* of overlap.
ya with as aggressive as that cam is i would say it would act more like a 228/228 though but still should pass with a good tune/cats
Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Google camshaft overlap. Wallace? has a cam spec calculator that might help you. Try to stay under -4 degrees. Overlap is the killer for Calif. smog. Hope this helps!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea it is nice, my Yuma az regisration requires no smog.
That must be nice.

Quick Reply: Biggest Smog Cam With Stock Cats