Sponsored by:

Patriot Performance flow numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 05:56 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Hooker
Two quick questions:

-Were the two heads (PP's & TEA's) flowed on the same size bore fixture?

-How did the TEA exhaust port compare with the PP exhaust port. (I assume they were both flowed with a pipe)
SAME BENCH SAME FIXTURE. Tea's exhaust flow numbers were better in the mid lift.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
All heads were tested under the exact same conditions.
I guess you were there huh? So what did the TEA heads flow?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Patriot Heads

Originally Posted by mike m
I guess you were there huh? So what did the TEA heads flow?

I was not there.The man that owns the heads told me this.

I will submit a head to any independent test.I want a magazine to do a head to head flow test shootout.I will call monday and talk about setting this up.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So i know this guy paid a few hundered extra for these heads. So these are not a production head. or are they? So lastls1 how much did you wind up paying for these heads?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
YES HE IS! He is very honest. Also I've had a bunch of PM's on "who's the other head" it was Tea Judson! I know all benches vary, but those were just flowed there. I wanted to do a side by side test. BTW our two heads were the most out of any LS1 head ever flowed there!! I'm sure both sets of heads will work great.
LOL You need to make sure you have your facts straight before PM'ing and posting. The true Judson head is a 6.0L head with a 2.08 5/16" stem valve and on a 4.00" bore flows 330 cfm @ .600" these require an adjustable Jesel rocker system due to the +.100" length valve, I know you didn't flow one of these because there are only 2 or 3 sets in existance, one on a Corvette in Memphis that makes 500 RWHP, one set on a customers Corvette in our shop, and one in Canada I think. The ones that are on the Corvette in our shop were set to the customer so that he could flow them in Florida and they flowed 330+ @ .600" much to the machine shops surprise.

There are derivitives of this head, with a 2.08 LS1 stem valve the head flows 320 on intake once it is hand finished on a 4.00" bore, we shrunk the CNC program .030" to run a 2.05 valve and ran it through a few sets of 6.0L heads and these flowed 320-325 on a 4.00" bore fully hand finished, once again there are just a few sets of these, and one of them belongs to a Corvette buddy of mine here in BG. None of these heads flow well on a 3.90" bore because they were not designed to. It knocks about 15 cfm off of the port flow on a 3.90" bore, due to the air flowing out into the 4.00" size of the 6.0L chamber and then hitting the ledge of the 3.90" bore. So the only good way to use this smaller Judson port on a 3.90" bore is to use a LS6 head, due to its 3.90" chamber, these heads flowed around 320 cfm @ .600", there are 2 sets of these in existance, one is on my car and the other set was sold to GMMG and installed on a customers car that made 433 RWTQ and almost 450 RWHP. I will post the graph for your viewing pleasure.

I think I know of the heads that were flowed at High Flow, they were basically a Stg 2 intake with a N2O exhaust that we flowed on a 4.00" bore and I guess Mike flowed them on a 3.90" bore, and the report I got was they had the highest flowing exhaust port Mike has ever seen. BTW, these were NOT high dollar heads as the guy that owns them traded a set of 5.3 that he used for a while, had some problems with them (the only set ever!) not due to anything we did, and to help him out I gave these 6.0L heads to him for his used and torn up 5.3 heads, a gift to say the least, not a $$$ set of heads.

So please, before you start running off at the mouth about something that you don't have a clue about you may want to think twice, because this is slander, and slander is a chargable offense.

BTW, we flowed a set of Terry's Stg 2 LS6 STYLE heads and they flowed 185 @ .300" (15 down from our 5.3 Stg 1.5) and 299 @ .600", not too bad, but the port volume was 230cc+, so Terry you need to recheck your port volumes, but if it flowed those numbers at Mikes then congrats to Terry, too bad he can't repeat those on every set. I could write a book on how hard it is to get every port on every set to flow those kind of numbers, as I'm sure Terry could also. The only way anyone can be assured of consistent flow numbers is to buy a CNC ported head and then fully hand finish it (by a true expert). Otherwise we all have some better then others, just like our 5.3 heads many have flowed 300+ all over the country, but some have only gone 285. So then you have customers that make 440 RWHP and some that make 390 RWHP. So until the customer can afford to get the heads fully hand sanded by an expert, then it is a crap shoot as to what you are going to get. One thing that is not a crap shoot with our product, having a torn up engine due to valve breakage, spring breakage, or seats dropping, you truly get what you pay for!
Attached Thumbnails Patriot Performance flow numbers-2.5dyno.jpg  
Old 02-14-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was not there.The man that owns the heads told me this.

I will submit a head to any independent test.I want a magazine to do a head to head flow test shootout.I will call monday and talk about setting this up.
what so you can send a ringer head? It would be nice but it would also have to be done without the shops knowing when and which set of thier heads. Kind of a mystery shopper deal.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So i know this guy paid a few hundered extra for these heads. So these are not a production head. or are they? So lastls1 how much did you wind up paying for these heads?
Stage 3 heads cost a hundred or two more than the stage 2's depending on what options you get.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can reproduce this every time.After I hand blend the bowl area every set will be within a couple of cfm of each other.I will do this for the standard stage 2 price.I posted in an earlier post that the 2.055 valve will be an option for the stage 2 from now on.

I don't care what people have claimed the heads flow in the past.I now flow test every set before they ship.If they do not flow what I advertise they will not ship.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can reproduce this every time.After I hand blend the bowl area every set will be within a couple of cfm of each other.I will do this for the standard stage 2 price.I posted in an earlier post that the 2.055 valve will be an option for the stage 2 from now on.

I don't care what people have claimed the heads flow in the past.I now flow test every set before they ship.If they do not flow what I advertise they will not ship.
When did this policy start? Just so I know when we flow a set of your ls6 style heads that your customer recieved last week. We dont want any excusses then.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

what so you can send a ringer head? It would be nice but it would also have to be done without the shops knowing when and which set of thier heads. Kind of a mystery shopper deal.
Mike M,
I will let you pick out the set.This way it will not be a ringer set.I am very confident in the heads I produce.In the past 2 weeks,I have done many flow test to make the heads as good as possible.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

When did this policy start? Just so I know when we flow a set of your ls6 style heads that your customer recieved last week. We dont want any excusses then.

I have been checking them the last week and a half.If for some reason a customers head does not flow what I advertise,I can fix them with a small amount of work.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Does that mean you hand blended the bowl area and sent heads out to customers and did not check what it flowed first in the past?
Old 02-14-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Terry if you like send me a head and I'll get the head flowed at an independent bench that is very honest & fair and post up the results.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Does that mean you hand blended the bowl area and sent heads out to customers and did not check what it flowed first in the past?

In the past I have not tested every set.I would test some periodicly.I have always hand blended the valve bowl area.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:09 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
LOL You need to make sure you have your facts straight before PM'ing and posting. The true Judson head is a 6.0L head with a 2.08 5/16" stem valve and on a 4.00" bore flows 330 cfm @ .600" these require an adjustable Jesel rocker system due to the +.100" length valve, I know you didn't flow one of these because there are only 2 or 3 sets in existance, one on a Corvette in Memphis that makes 500 RWHP, one set on a customers Corvette in our shop, and one in Canada I think. The ones that are on the Corvette in our shop were set to the customer so that he could flow them in Florida and they flowed 330+ @ .600" much to the machine shops surprise.

There are derivitives of this head, with a 2.08 LS1 stem valve the head flows 320 on intake once it is hand finished on a 4.00" bore, we shrunk the CNC program .030" to run a 2.05 valve and ran it through a few sets of 6.0L heads and these flowed 320-325 on a 4.00" bore fully hand finished, once again there are just a few sets of these, and one of them belongs to a Corvette buddy of mine here in BG. None of these heads flow well on a 3.90" bore because they were not designed to. It knocks about 15 cfm off of the port flow on a 3.90" bore, due to the air flowing out into the 4.00" size of the 6.0L chamber and then hitting the ledge of the 3.90" bore. So the only good way to use this smaller Judson port on a 3.90" bore is to use a LS6 head, due to its 3.90" chamber, these heads flowed around 320 cfm @ .600", there are 2 sets of these in existance, one is on my car and the other set was sold to GMMG and installed on a customers car that made 433 RWTQ and almost 450 RWHP. I will post the graph for your viewing pleasure.

I think I know of the heads that were flowed at High Flow, they were basically a Stg 2 intake with a N2O exhaust that we flowed on a 4.00" bore and I guess Mike flowed them on a 3.90" bore, and the report I got was they had the highest flowing exhaust port Mike has ever seen. BTW, these were NOT high dollar heads as the guy that owns them traded a set of 5.3 that he used for a while, had some problems with them (the only set ever!) not due to anything we did, and to help him out I gave these 6.0L heads to him for his used and torn up 5.3 heads, a gift to say the least, not a $$$ set of heads.

So please, before you start running off at the mouth about something that you don't have a clue about you may want to think twice, because this is slander, and slander is a chargable offense.

BTW, we flowed a set of Terry's Stg 2 LS6 STYLE heads and they flowed 185 @ .300" (15 down from our 5.3 Stg 1.5) and 299 @ .600", not too bad, but the port volume was 230cc+, so Terry you need to recheck your port volumes, but if it flowed those numbers at Mikes then congrats to Terry, too bad he can't repeat those on every set. I could write a book on how hard it is to get every port on every set to flow those kind of numbers, as I'm sure Terry could also. The only way anyone can be assured of consistent flow numbers is to buy a CNC ported head and then fully hand finish it (by a true expert). Otherwise we all have some better then others, just like our 5.3 heads many have flowed 300+ all over the country, but some have only gone 285. So then you have customers that make 440 RWHP and some that make 390 RWHP. So until the customer can afford to get the heads fully hand sanded by an expert, then it is a crap shoot as to what you are going to get. One thing that is not a crap shoot with our product, having a torn up engine due to valve breakage, spring breakage, or seats dropping, you truly get what you pay for!
If you read careful this was not meant to bash anyone. Just state the facts! I CHALLENGE YOU to prove me wrong! If my heads didn't work that also would have been posted. Why only post bad results on PP? BTW I have owned your heads. I had a little problem and never posted it. I called you. I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you. I don't benefit from it in any way. And if you feel that posting your flow numbers and a head that you passed off as a Judson head "SLANDER" . Then call your lawyer!
Old 02-14-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TERRY I JUST BOUGHT A SET, CAN YOU SEND THE FLOW SHEET WITH THEM?
KYLE BURLESON
Old 02-14-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Alot of people bash PP heads, but everytime Terry stands up and addresses the issue at hand. Say what you want but I think for someone to take that kind of abuse and keep on improving the product without raising the cost is great. I challenge other sponsors offer those exact features at the same cost.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

I challenge other sponsors offer those exact features at the same cost.
Don't you think you are setting the bar a little high? I don't think they can, but I would love for them to try
Old 02-15-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKTA
Alot of people bash PP heads, but everytime Terry stands up and addresses the issue at hand. Say what you want but I think for someone to take that kind of abuse and keep on improving the product without raising the cost is great. I challenge other sponsors offer those exact features at the same cost.
Do you think any of the other sponsors never got abused? When his product is up to par with the rest and seats stop falling out, and oil consumption stops, then Im sure he could charge what he wants to. He seems confident in his new flow #'s now that he is checking them before just sending them out. Now we will just have to wait for some people to get some mileage on the cars to see if the other problems are fixed. Then if all is good im sure the bashing will stop.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

If PP made a quality product why in the last year...

bad valves
bad springs
retainer issue
oil consumption issue
seats that fall out of the heads
changing from teflon to stock or viton valve seals
just starting to finally machine the chambers on 5.7 heads
bowl clean up but not checking on the bench to see if the heads flow correctly until last week.

That stuff is obvious for the most part and should have checked from day one when PP opened the doors. They are still just learning to get around too doing it. That's a stout list of issues. It's good Terry is working to correct this stuff but seems like PP should have worked harder to correct issues before sending this stuff to customers.

When that sort of thing is taken care of I too think the negative stuff about PP will stop.

Quick Reply: Patriot Performance flow numbers