Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Ring Gap Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Piston Ring Gap Info Needed

Okay, Im almost through with being finished with my shotblock. I have a ls1 honed to 3.905. Je Piston's, Eagle Rods, Fully Balenced rotating assembly, clivete bearings. TSP LS6 oil pump, torquer v3 and a double roller timing set. Now i orderd the JE Piston Rings with my pistons, i was under the impression that these piston rings didnt need to be gapped prior to installation. which is how i felt after ordering them and talking to a person at JE. The rings were VERY expensive compared to helfire rings and such. Now the question is should i have gapped them? Or are they fine how they are. They are all in everything is together and i have yet to put the heads on. Just want to make sure im not looking for a problem with this. I have built many DSM's without gapping the rings and no problems there. They were "pre gapped" rings however. Just not sure where to go with this. Pull them out and gap them accordingly, or leave them alone and expect no damage or anything due to this? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are the specced out for that final bore size? I am the complete opposite, I have always bought file to fit rings and set my own gaps. I would say that if they were specced to that final size and the machine shop got it to that bore size setting it up for your piston to wall clearance that they are prolly real close and consistant. However you have no way of knowing for sure unless you pull a rod and piston and remove the rings and measure. You should have measured them all beforehand anyways and wrote them on a build sheet so you would know,,and then you wouldnt have this eating at you.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
The Machinist

^^ 2nd that. I hope you at least checked the ring end gap to see that it was at the spec in your paperwork. If you didnt even check it, then plan on pulling the engine back apart. I would never assemble ANY engine without checking gap.

The best thing you can do is check and set the gap yourself so you know its right.

Besides that, you always should break all the sharp edges on the ends whether you file them or not.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Alright. Im kickin my self in the *** now. Ill be pulling the pistons and rods out one by one checking the end gaps and filing if needed.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Teching In

What should i gap them to for say street/ to 150 shot ocassionally? Help is very appreciated!!