Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass media blasting LS heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Glass media blasting LS heads

I recently brought a set of 317 heads to a machine shop to have them cleaned and checked. I was fully expecting them to put them in a solvent bath or something. When I picked them up, I found that they had removed the valves and glass bead blasted the castings everywhere (including head gasket surface, areas in contact w/oil, combustion chambers, valve seating areas, etc.). I was handed a box of valves with no markings as to where they go and the heads with beads still spilling out of thier tapped holes.

i was a bit concerned to say the least. i posted up on another forum and got responses ranging from "your engine will be trashed in 20 minutes" to "this is completely normal I have done this to countless heads, just clean them out good". I am hoping for a few more opinions so I'm posting up here.... should I be worried?

Last edited by mattster03; 02-24-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I ever got bead blasted was the rims on my boat trailer before I repainted them. Warped both rims.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattster03
I recently brought a set of 317 heads to a machine shop to have them cleaned and checked. I was fully expecting them to put them in a solvent bath or something. When I picked them up, I found that they had removed the valves and glass bead blasted the castings everywhere (including head gasket surface, areas in contact w/oil, combustion chambers, valve seating areas, etc.). I was handed a box of valves with no markings as to where they go and the heads with beads still spilling out of thier tapped holes.

i was a bit concerned to say the least. i posted up on another forum and got responses ranging from "your engine will be trashed in 20 minutes" to "this is completely normal I have done this to countless heads, just clean them out good". I am hoping for a few more opinions so I'm posting up here.... should I be worried?
Wow nice......now you need to find a good shop to do them right.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

You can clean them out, but you'll need a new valvejob and have them resurfaced.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

common machine shop cleaning process...but that is usually only done when you are going to have new seats and guides put in and have them milled. its nothing out of the ordinary.