Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block, heads and cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Block, heads and cam question

I think this is my first actually post since joining long ago!

I want to do a budget build, but not be a complete cheap ***. I got a set of L92 heads that I will use stock valves and parts, new or low mileage. I am looking at an LQ9 short block and wanted to put a Z06 cam in it with an LS3 intake. I have read through lots of threads and used the search function like mad. My question is will this combination be good? It will be in a daily driven 2 door Jimmy and not a race car. I am not hard on my engines, so I think the I can get away with low mileage parts as long as the machine shop says there ok. Also what year would I need to use a z06 cam from or does it matter?

Or would the same parts work with an LQ4 pistons and crank?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

The LQ4 would work with all the same parts that an LQ9 does. You will just be down about a half a point of compression with the LQ4. I would not recommend the LS6 cam with L92 heads. If you are set on using the LS6 cam then you would have better results with some 243/799 heads. On the other hand if the heads are what you want to stick with then I recommend going with a cam that has been designed around them. An off the shelf cam for a G8 or 2010-up Camaro would yield much better results with those heads.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
The LQ4 would work with all the same parts that an LQ9 does. You will just be down about a half a point of compression with the LQ4. I would not recommend the LS6 cam with L92 heads. If you are set on using the LS6 cam then you would have better results with some 243/799 heads. On the other hand if the heads are what you want to stick with then I recommend going with a cam that has been designed around them. An off the shelf cam for a G8 or 2010-up Camaro would yield much better results with those heads.
I really appreciate the information. I want to stick with the heads since I have them and will look for the g8 or 2010 camaro cam.