Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205 vs TF 215

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ran the afr 205 in the past with GREAT results. I'm sure the afr 210 head is even better. I ran the 205 head with a stock rocker and had no issues for years. I now run the trick flow 235 had with yella terra rockers. My boy has ran the same rocker for three years and i one so far with no issues. Both of us spin to 7,000 rpm's and are at or over the 500hp,10 sec n/a mark. Either head is money well spent and worth it in performance. The afr 205 head got me 4 tenths in 1/4mi over a top sponsor's ported head. The tfs head got me 2.2 tenths over a cnc ported l92 head and my 60's were a full tenth slower. They work!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mike, exactly the input i needed
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike c.
I have ran the afr 205 in the past with GREAT results. I'm sure the afr 210 head is even better. I ran the 205 head with a stock rocker and had no issues for years. I now run the trick flow 235 had with yella terra rockers. My boy has ran the same rocker for three years and i one so far with no issues. Both of us spin to 7,000 rpm's and are at or over the 500hp,10 sec n/a mark. Either head is money well spent and worth it in performance. The afr 205 head got me 4 tenths in 1/4mi over a top sponsor's ported head. The tfs head got me 2.2 tenths over a cnc ported l92 head and my 60's were a full tenth slower. They work!
Agreed. They are both top peices..
Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

TFS because thats what im getting.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Launching!

I went with TFS but either head will give you excellent results. Both heads are in a class of their own. IMO
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

I think Im going to go AFR 205's so i dont have to spend the extra on rockers.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Did you read my post on the first page. You dont need to spend extra money on rockers.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I dont want to spend extra on the valve guides, or other stuff. 2400 is enough to spend on 2 heads
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Also, the AFR 205 is no longer available and has been replaced by the AFR 210. I prefer the AFR's over the TFS heads. Internet rumor seems to indicate that the TFS make remendous power over any other head, never seen the proof.

I honestly gotta agree with you.. I know TFS makes a damn good product, especially when TEA does the magic, but i havent seen any vids of guys running TFS heads in action such as at the track, or street.. I am sure there are guys running 9's such as Vengeance customers, or guys that hardly post. But I even tried to do a search, and all i see is dyno numbers, or TFS head cars on the dyno. I want to see these heads in action. The only results i see are from hardcore drag racers. I want to see these heads on the street.

I have seen AFR heads, Ported LS6 heads, and TSP PRC heads lay the smack down on street cars. I havent seen anything with TFS. Not trying to bash, just my .02..as far as search goes, all i see is dyno numbers and hardly anything else.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I went with the AFR's for the same reason I didn't want to dick around with shimming/aftermarket rockers/goofy pushrods, etc. I'll be putting mine on this spring when the snow melts
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are great and PI (old ETP) is just as good as either.

Kinda laugh at the guys commenting who have "this or that head" but have never seen the "other head" run but proclaim their preference. At this level it is more about the supporting combo than which head is better IMO. They are all top shelf and VERY close at least on a street/strip motor.... Never seen the PRC proprietary castings run but on paper they look good too. I keep looking for them at the strip...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as which head is better, I only have a little experience with AFRs, and all i know about the TFS heads is from reviews on here.

I can say that I am VERY happy with my AFRs, and the service and knowledge that Tony Mamo provides makes them that much better!

BTW, im running AFR 205s with stock rockers, set up by Tony himself
Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Both heads use bronze valve guides. I would personally run Yella Terra on either head. The higher lift of an aftermarket cam results in a wider wipe pattern with stock rockers then you will get with properly set up Yella Terra rockers. This will result in higher side loads and faster wear on the bronze guides due to the side loading. GM heads use a powder metal guide that is much harder and less prone to wear due to side loading.

Also, the AFR 205 is no longer available and has been replaced by the AFR 210. I prefer the AFR's over the TFS heads. Internet rumor seems to indicate that the TFS make remendous power over any other head, never seen the proof.
You can request powdered metal valve guides from TEA/TFS for $75 when you order them. I'm doing this and will run stock rockers.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by earmuffs
Is it better to run AFRs with stock rockers or TFS?
Both heads need to run roller rockers since they both use bronze guides.
Originally Posted by firefighter813x
You can request powdered metal valve guides from TEA/TFS for $75 when you order them. I'm doing this and will run stock rockers.
If your going to do that make sure you change the valve springs to the softer spring pressure like the platinum springs that tea uses. The original springs the are supplied on these heads are designed for the heavier tipped roller rocker. Using the heavier spring with the lighter tipped stock rocker will cause valve scrub and excelerated guide wear. I believe they will do this at no extra charge.

Pm coming your way.

Last edited by ct06gto; 03-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I honestly gotta agree with you.. I know TFS makes a damn good product, especially when TEA does the magic, but i havent seen any vids of guys running TFS heads in action such as at the track, or street.. I am sure there are guys running 9's such as Vengeance customers, or guys that hardly post. But I even tried to do a search, and all i see is dyno numbers, or TFS head cars on the dyno. I want to see these heads in action. The only results i see are from hardcore drag racers. I want to see these heads on the street.

I have seen AFR heads, Ported LS6 heads, and TSP PRC heads lay the smack down on street cars. I havent seen anything with TFS. Not trying to bash, just my .02..as far as search goes, all i see is dyno numbers and hardly anything else.
The only H/C/I setup that I ran against on the street was Patriot Stage 2 LS6 heads, cam 226/226 112, Intake FAST. And I walked him pretty easily. He said his combo put down 425rwhp.(not sure where it got dynoed) I put down 450rwhp with 215 TFS and 224/228 112.(on TSP dyno)

One other race I had that was intresting was against a 2001 Z28. The owner just purchased the car two weeks prior so he only knew what the previous owner said. The Z28 put down 475rwhp (some dyno in Georgia) it had a Prochager with a blower cam. (unknown specs) When we lauched off the line it was pretty even until we hit second gear and I slowly started inching away from him. We shut down about 125 with me having about a half a car lead. I don't remember what all supporting bolton's he had but I think his car should have walked me pretty good. Could have been a bad tune, stock cam, or just a bad setup. Good runs though.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I went with the AFR's for the same reason I didn't want to dick around with shimming/aftermarket rockers/goofy pushrods, etc. I'll be putting mine on this spring when the snow melts
Any aftermarket head, or stock GM OEM head, with BRONZE guides running STOCK rockers will suffer from guide wear. GM heads come stock with powdered metal guides, but if they've been changed to bronze, they will have problems too. It may never cause you an issue, or it may start to consume oil after 5-10K miles or it may take 20K miles. We've had every head made through our shop at one time or another, and they all have guide wear. We've repaired several pair of AFR heads that were using oil and the guides were worn out. Since they were the first aftermarket LS head available, they tend to have more miles and show more oil consumption because of it. Sometimes the oil consumption results in detonation (oil lowers the octane of fuel) which takes out a piston, and guys never realize it was coming from their heads. Then they take those old heads and build a new engine and the new engine consumes oil, but it gets blamed on the shortblock and not the heads. Even my TFS 235's with HS roller rockers had guide wear.

The only heads I will ever run will have powdered metal guides and will run stock rockers. I checked the guide wear on the 4.8 heads off my 150,000 mile truck and there was NONE, once again, they come stock with powdered metal guides from GM.

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 03-06-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: AFR 205 vs TF 215