Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratchs on cylinder walls>>>help me please<<< PICS ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just the angle at which I'm seeing but it appears that the line is not straight but very jagged. Block looks cracked to me..... referring to the third picture the OP posted in #18
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

just hand hone, new main and rod bearing, arp rod bolts and stock replacement rings speed pro on my stock pistons. said that it would hold compression
Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikemunoz
just hand hone, new main and rod bearing, arp rod bolts and stock replacement rings speed pro on my stock pistons. said that it would hold compression
Sounds like a pretty basic re-ring/bearing type deal. I just would have expected more cleaning to be done. Probabably a hot tank for the block, check the crank/rod journals.

Did you see the bores prior work being done? Possible these are old scars? If these are fresh, I'd be bringing that back and asking some questions. No way should that be acceptable.

Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow....this has long term epic fail written all over it.

And it might not take that "long"

They "honed" the block but notice it didn't even clean up all the way (look at all the orange shading that the hone didn't even hit or clean). I suspect it was done with an inexpensive three finger manual hone and a drill but who the hell knows.

Also....I see OLD oil in the lifter bores....how do you hone a block with all the grit associated with that job and not thoroughly clean it after your finished prior to assembly (hot tank or spray wash machine....or even engine gunk and a garden hose would give you acceptable results if you were thorough enough).

The scratches look to be from sharp edges of the various rings....even out of the box rings need some attention with a needle file to knock the sharp edges down from their machining.

The fact the block wasn't decked (or at least scraped and cleaned properly) is also a disgrace.....so now they expect you to scrape the block getting half the gasket debris in the "new rebuilt" engine.

This job looks as "down and dirty" as they come.....if you didn't have any issues with this engine after the smoke cleared I would be surprised. The lack of attention to detail is screaming here....ya think they even bothered to check a single bearing clearance???

You almost always get what you pay for guys (in life and engine assembly....LOL) I can only hope the OP didn't pay a whole lot to get what little looks to have been done here.

I would take that block to another shop....have them hone it properly to the common 3.905 oversize....then install new forged pistons.....square deck the block deck leaving every piston out of the hole the same amount and also leave a perfectly flat machined surface to better seal a head gasket.....actually wash the block after all the machine work and install new pistons and rings with the proper care needed to get good results.

Thats my quarters worth of advice and while its not the cheapest option, its one that yields the best results and the most peace of mind. You can pay now or pay later....doing nothing in this case is the pay later option unless you are simply extremely lucky IMO. The bottom line is it's your dice roll.

Good luck....I hope everything works out for you in the end

-Tony

PS....Note in the very top pic the scratch in the cylinder starts at the very top of the bore.....that means when the piston was installed there was a sharp edge there that immediately grabbed that cylinder liner as the piston was installed and pushed down the bore. Once hooked to the crank it would be impossible for it to reach the top because all the ring lands are at least a quarter inch or so lower then the deck surface. Just something worth noting.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 03-06-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was the big end of the rods resized?using some arp rod bolts require it ,and the cracked rods being removed I believe require it.good luck hope every thing works out for you.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

this has to be a joke. i see it too, it looks cracked to me. it looks like a 16 year old auto shop drop out could do better work. come on tell me this is a joke
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

terrible work
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

It looks like someone took it apart, honed it with hand tools and put it back together. I bet the rings are the originals!! Hopefully that didn't cost you much. The block looks like it needs to be bored if it isnt cracked like others have stated. Have you checked the BBB website and seen if people have complaints out on that shop?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

What is the name and location of the machine shop?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn. Thats bad. I dont even see a cross hatch, it looks like they just held the hone in there and let is spin rather than using an up and down motion to get the cross pattern. Hope you get this worked out....
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Abuckeye
What is the name and location of the machine shop?
This should be shared so no one else on Tech in the local area goes there. That's some atrocious work.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What ever happened with this?
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
Damn. Thats bad. I dont even see a cross hatch, it looks like they just held the hone in there and let is spin rather than using an up and down motion to get the cross pattern. Hope you get this worked out....
That was the first thing I notice too. Horrible workmanship.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax4499
this has to be a joke. i see it too, it looks cracked to me. it looks like a 16 year old auto shop drop out could do better work. come on tell me this is a joke
I thought the same thing. I'm not buying it.

Quick Reply: Scratchs on cylinder walls>>>help me please<<< PICS ADDED