Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC Heads and LSR cam swap (Build Page)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Head all torqued down, pushrods installed ready for rockers

Stock rockers re-used for now, will decide if going to change after a few hundred miles are put on the car

Both heads installed and ready to put cover and coil packs on.

just a little shot of the 3 beautiful letters..PRC, these things are gonna take me far.

rockers torqued to 24lf lb's, valve covers installed, intake runner tapped off, power steering pump installed, new turn one pulley for PS installed, and ready for intake

coil packs installed, went in real easy.

routing the belt

Intake installed, went in real easy, but have to remove it again to replace oil pressure sending unit, was not working right in the first place, and just forgot to change it. had to go pick up special socket from autozone.

Radiator still missing, will install that tomorrow after it gets a real good reverse flush and external clean and inspect.

coil packs not connected, just so i dont forget to unplug them later. still have to turn over the motor a few times with starter as to get some oil to the pump before i fire this thing up.

everything installed and ready to go, except for a few things like air lid and radiator, otherwise i am gonna start this thing tomorrow!!!!!!!

ok guys, this thing is gonna start tomorrow if i have to get up really early to do it. but i am really scared and really looking forward to it at the same time, hope i don't **** off the neighbors to much!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good man. subscribed.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for something to think about...I read a lot about whether or not there was a need to "prime" the engine before starting it when I was getting ready to fire my new build up. Some people say its good, so people say it can cause premature wear and really doesn't help with getting oil pressure up. I decided not to, and just filled the oil filter with oil and got the top end stuff as oiled down as possible. I had oil pressure within literally about 1 second of it firing up....
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to know how you like the cam. I have an LS2 from a Trailblazer SS to put into an 86 Monte SS & of course I can't put it in there without changing the cam first. But can't decide which one.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, just picked this up, gonna change out this sensor, re-install the intake manifold, then get the cooling system all bolted up, then it looks like i might be able to start thing thing today

Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the most thoroughly photographed project I've seen and it's very impressive. Good luck with the startup!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Impressive Thread. Great Job... Good Luck and Your gonna post a vid of it on start up right?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Get rid of the eBay catch can they suck.I had the same one on my ttype and it sucks the Oil right back in the intake.Get you one with a baffle to block the oil from coming back up to your intake.I have had a lot of luck with the Norris catch can.Awesome right up.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool build thread !!!!.....people love pics
That cam should match puuurrrrrfectly w/those sweeeeet heads !!!!
Perhaps a comp cams trunion upgrade in the future after break in
before you swing it up in the rpms........good luck man car will fly 4sure
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! start up went great. oil presure is great and temp is allready at normal. i am gonna let it idle for a few min and then shut her off. i am really happy, i have a small tick on the drivers side near the header but it is probobly a slight exhaust lead!!! cant way to get the hood back to i can drive this thing!

Video of start up soon guys
Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Congratulations! Great thread with great pics. You planning on a dyno tune or track day soon? Subscribing to see the results.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok. today was a great day. today i got it fired up and running. finished off a few things and then started it up. went better then i could have hopped for. the oil pressure dipped to 35psi at one point, but usually idle at 40+psi and 60+psi when cold...so oil pump seems to be seated right. now i did delete the hoses for my PCV sysetm from the passanger side valve cover and only run the one from the drivers side...now i have a raging vacume so when i pull my oil cap off, the sucking goes away. so i am gonna get a little filter for that side. seem best. the tune will come when i get my hood back from the paint shop.

radiator and support installed fans installed, throttle cables routed to the TCS module.

SLP MAF next to the 2003 Z06 MAF, both 85mm, SLP is coming off my car and will be for sale shortly. I like the GM MAF table better then the SLP one, especially for a heads and cam car.

motor shot with the filter installed

FTP 98mm repainted due to leaking can of brake fluid that spilled on it.

filling up the radiator with the good stuff!!!! took about 2 1/2 gallons to fill it all the way up.

ensure the floor is clean and dry to make sure it is not leaking anything.

one last overview of the car before starting it up.

Lid all painted and intalled. still need to put the bird sticker back on the lid, bbut waiting till it fully drys so i dont feel up and paint.

Motor is ready to be fired up.

exhaust is all strapped back together fits up a little better now.

SLP LM1 is still bolted up there, till i get the QTP 4"-3" down-sizer welded to the Dynomax bullet.

no things on the floor lets start this thing

undercarriage clean, next up....first start.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cacmanjr
Congratulations! Great thread with great pics. You planning on a dyno tune or track day soon? Subscribing to see the results.
yes i plan on a dyno tune. Ellis @ Speed Secrets is gonna tune it for me, but i am still waiting for my hood to come back from the body shop so i can drive it. i also want to pull the fast intake off again and port it a little (just grind the tabs off the ends of it) so that should be worth a few (maybe 10) extra horsepower.

Video coming soon
Old 04-10-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok here is the raw video of the start up and a good exhaust clip.

Enjoy

First start up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8sTVajXFnM

and the operating temp idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJODBu-b51o
Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
yes i plan on a dyno tune. Ellis @ Speed Secrets is gonna tune it for me, but i am still waiting for my hood to come back from the body shop so i can drive it. i also want to pull the fast intake off again and port it a little (just grind the tabs off the ends of it) so that should be worth a few (maybe 10) extra horsepower.

Video coming soon

Great. Can't wait to see the results.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

videos posted, u just posted 1 min after i posted the videos...lol
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
videos posted, u just posted 1 min after i posted the videos...lol
That thing sounds wicked. AES is building me an LS2 with the 231/239 version of the cam with T/F 220 as cast heads. Can't wait to get it back and installed in my car.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought about the 231/239, but that is a little higher then i wanted, as my car sees track time sometimes, but more for a weekend cruiser. i also matched my heads for this cam. i plan to make 460rwhp with this heads and cam with tune, also i am gonna port my FAST before the tune for a few extra horses.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you did the oil pump and you said you lowered the pan like it say on ls1howto, what do you exactly do ?

i got the same pump and are those bolts on the pickup tube accesible without "lowering the pan" ?

Nice work btw i am getting so worked up to do mine. I only have a day and a half to install mine though 8/

Anything else you recommend or wish you did ?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Launching!

I just did my motor mounts and all i removed was the starter, compressor, and alternator and lets just say it took AWHILE.....but it was worth it in the end. Im just saying i know your pain. lol Im going heads and cam soon also.

Quick Reply: PRC Heads and LSR cam swap (Build Page)