Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls2 timing chain

i have a ls6 and just put a ms4 cam in it, is it true that a ls2 chain and gears are stronger if so would a timing set for a 06 trailblazer fit, just looked at jegs and they offer 3 diffrent sets for different years what do i need thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bit my tongue long enough.... What is it about the ls2 timing set that makes them so special? Aren't they double roller? Ya know i've never heard of anyone jumping time or breaking a ls1 setup. Have You? Or anyone else? I mean obviously they wear out and stretch but all setups will do that.

Heck My Vortec 5.7L will roll over this weekend to 239K and it still has the original timing set in it.

Im building a "ls1" (5.3L bored to 5.7l) and i am putting a ls1 set on it. Im a firm believer in not trying to fix stuff that AINT broken.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Just run a l s 2 chain it stronger
Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

...and im a firm believer in trying to head off potiential problems before they start, why not go with a stronger part?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

The ls2 chain is beefier than the ls1 chain. When u get that new timing set if it is a gm part it will be a ls2 chain anyways. Unless u get the junk chains for ls1 at a parts house. There is a very noticable difference in a ls1 chain and ls2
Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yank sells a timing set that includes an LSA timing chain. I think its a little over 70.00 shipped. They have a thread in the for sale section.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

just buy an aftermarket timing set they can be picked up for 100 bucks and are stronger then an ls1 or ls2 set
Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LS2 timing chains are stronger then stock LS1 timing chains. LS1 timing chains are known to stretch over time so its not a bad idea to replace the stock chain with the LS2. For only 42 dollars I feel that it is definitely worth the time as you are already down there doing the work anyway. You can buy aftermarket chains for not that much more money but for someone on a budget looking for a decent chain on a mild build it is a good deal.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shutdown Theory
...and im a firm believer in trying to head off potiential problems before they start, why not go with a stronger part?
Amen
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

LS2 here...def do the upgrade while in there.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just look up a stock chain for a 2005 and newer motor..

you can see the difference...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...7/DSCF0082.jpg
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GM replaced the LS1 chain with the LS2 it is a stronger unit...and to the poster that asked has anyone ever broke a LS1 chain or known anyone breaking one the answer is a resounding YES...for the $$ you cant beat the LS2 chain.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
LS2 timing chains are stronger then stock LS1 timing chains. LS1 timing chains are known to stretch over time so its not a bad idea to replace the stock chain with the LS2. For only 42 dollars I feel that it is definitely worth the time as you are already down there doing the work anyway. You can buy aftermarket chains for not that much more money but for someone on a budget looking for a decent chain on a mild build it is a good deal.
ALL timing chains stretch over time. As a matter of fact ALL chains stretch over time. Bicycle, chain saw, motorcycle....you name it. But how much of a TIME frame are you talking about? Of course they will be stretched with 150k miles on them.
Are you saying to JUST replace the chain for $42 without replacing the cam/crank timing gears? If you are....i would have to totally disagree with that. The gears are already wore in to the old chain and the NEW chain would start to wear in and tear the hell out of the gears or vice versa.

Last edited by remauto1187; 03-15-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slt200mph
GM replaced the LS1 chain with the LS2 it is a stronger unit...and to the poster that asked has anyone ever broke a LS1 chain or known anyone breaking one the answer is a resounding YES...for the $$ you cant beat the LS2 chain.
Need a little bit more info.... was the engine in a drag car or DD? Did car have nitrous or supercharger? How many miles during the break?

I just got done pulling apart a RUNNING 5.3L with 255k miles on it and yeah it was stretched but hey i would say 255K is pretty good mileage!

I saw the pics posted above (link) and its obvious the ls2 setup is alot beefier.

Im not putting the ls2 down but i would weigh cost vs. appication BEFORE i just ran out and got a ls2 setup just because everyone says they are "better".

Looking at the pics, if the price is right....I am putting a ls2 setup on my LSX build.

Yes i am running in circles!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought the LS2 chain and gears set from Yank....
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by remauto1187
Need a little bit more info.... was the engine in a drag car or DD? Did car have nitrous or supercharger? How many miles during the break?

I just got done pulling apart a RUNNING 5.3L with 255k miles on it and yeah it was stretched but hey i would say 255K is pretty good mileage!

I saw the pics posted above (link) and its obvious the ls2 setup is alot beefier.

Im not putting the ls2 down but i would weigh cost vs. appication BEFORE i just ran out and got a ls2 setup just because everyone says they are "better".

Looking at the pics, if the price is right....I am putting a ls2 setup on my LSX build.

Yes i am running in circles!

The engines that broke chains were built/modded engines...(a couple of them were high $$ builds) some with single row chains and some with double row chains. All were being used for road racing or autocrossing. I am sure that a lot more people than myself know of them breaking too they just have not read this thread. But breaking timing chains is few and far between problem. But you made a statement that was far from true. Just an FYI for ya...you cannot buy a LS1 chain anymore ...as was posted numerous times already GM superceded it with the LS2 chain...if a $35-$40 priced part is hard on your budget you are in the wrong hobby/sport.

PS There is a big difference between the strain on a truck/SUV engine than a modified LS engine being run hard up and down threw the gears. I see LS engines with well over 200,000+ miles on them all the time I work at a Chevy dealership.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

ALL timing chains stretch over time. As a matter of fact ALL chains stretch over time. Bicycle, chain saw, motorcycle....you name it. But how much of a TIME frame are you talking about? Of course they will be stretched with 150k miles on them.
Are you saying to JUST replace the chain for $42 without replacing the cam/crank timing gears? If you are....i would have to totally disagree with that. The gears are already wore in to the old chain and the NEW chain would start to wear in and tear the hell out of the gears or vice versa.
You are incorrect sir a few years ago I put a new LS2 chain on a set of gears that had 68,000 miles on them and just replaced that chain after putting another 99,000 miles ... besides the normal stretch of the chain there was no visible wear on the chain or gears...a new chain went on the old gears again...I'll let you know how it does this time around in about 50K-100K miles..I have been putting new chains on old gears in Chevy V8 engines now for over 40 years now....
Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Launching!

You don't need to replace the gear set, just the chain and ur fine.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slt200mph
The engines that broke chains were built/modded engines...(a couple of them were high $$ builds) some with single row chains and some with double row chains. All were being used for road racing or autocrossing. I am sure that a lot more people than myself know of them breaking too they just have not read this thread. But breaking timing chains is few and far between problem. But you made a statement that was far from true. Just an FYI for ya...you cannot buy a LS1 chain anymore ...as was posted numerous times already GM superceded it with the LS2 chain...if a $35-$40 priced part is hard on your budget you are in the wrong hobby/sport.

PS There is a big difference between the strain on a truck/SUV engine than a modified LS engine being run hard up and down threw the gears. I see LS engines with well over 200,000+ miles on them all the time I work at a Chevy dealership.
Exactly my point. All depends on application. The cheap set i would put a on a DD. I wouldnt run out and buy a $150 setup for a DD. Now with a engine basically dedicated to racing and has turbo/super on it then obviously you wanna go with the higher end equipment.
Its not a question of affording $35-50..its common sense...why spend $50 on a DD engine when you can get away with $35 and take the extra $15 to spend on spark plugs.
That is how i have made it this far doing well....by not squandering $$ just because.....But your point is well taken....High end engine and/or trackstar needs the heavy duty equipment.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have been putting LS2 timing chains on LS1 gears since they came out and have not had a single issue. The stock gears themselves hardly ever have any issues, if they did it is something you would definitely see on install. This includes multiple cars with over 100k miles. Are you saying that someone with a 150k mile timing chain should not replace it if they have the $42 to do so? If so, I would have totally disagree with you there.

Quick Reply: ls2 timing chain