Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrods needed, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrods needed, or not?

Hey guys, I'm planning on a Hot Cam kit going in the goat this summer and was wondering if replacing the pushrods is NEEDED, or if its just reccomended since your already there? The stock ones have about 83k currently. Info is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

with the hot cam you probably wont need to raise the rev limiter or turn it past the stock redline to get the max power so maybe they aren't necessary, but the added insurance is definitely worth the $120. Never fails you go to beat on the thing and hit the limiter and bend one of those pushrods or pop the ball off.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for pushrods. Worst case you bend a stock one. But the lobes, lift, and duration is so lazy on the hotcam you are in some serious problems if you did something to bend a stock pushrod on a hotcam setup.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Launching!

^What? That makes absolutely no sense. Why even bother posting? Yes. You'll want to change them
Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by usmonaro
^What? That makes absolutely no sense. Why even bother posting? Yes. You'll want to change them
Is that a joke? What about my post makes absolutely no sense? What data have you compiled to show that a hotcam needs pushrods? Here's mine:

If you were wondering, my black camaro is running stock pushrods with a hotcam. If you were also wondering, the black GTO with the Lingenfelter GT1 cam? Stock Pushrods. That girls white C6 Corvette with the GT1 cam? Stock pushrods. The 1956 Chevy Bel Air in our shop with the hotcam? Stock pushrods. None have ever bent a pushrod, and you and I both know how hard Blue beats the dog-snot out of his GTO, hahahaha.

Pushrods are a recommendation on a hotcam at best. No point in replacing on a hotcam unless you just feel the need to **** away $100.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Ur misunderstanding what I am saying. Either that or I don't understand what u mean by your post. And yes I know how blue does. I read ur post thinking you were contradicting yourself. BUT I am saying for peace of mind I would run hardened pushrods for anything like that.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

Ur misunderstanding what I am saying. Either that or I don't understand what u mean by your post. And yes I know how blue does. I read ur post thinking you were contradicting yourself. BUT I am saying for peace of mind I would run hardened pushrods for anything like that.

Like i said, you're not going to hurt the motor by putting them in the car, just lighten your wallet a little. If you've got the $100 to burn, by all means, throw them in there. But they aren't needed. I'd much rather replace the timing chain and oil pump with that money than put in some pushrods on a hotcam setup.

Maybe i misunderstood the
part. Sounds like you are misunderstanding my post? Why do i bother posting? Because I can add actual experience as I actually own a hotcam car and feel my personal experience on the subject helps to answer the OP's question.

Let me be clear, In my personal opinion:

You. Do. Not. Need. Pushrods. With. A. Hotcam.

Easy Tiger! Can't we all just hug and rub fuzzies?! <3
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Lol to clarify I thought you meant that it was no big deal if it broke a stock one that he would have bigger problems. Go back and read it the way I thought lol. Sorry I read it again and I understand it the way you meant now. I was thinking that if you thought it might bend a stock pushrod why wouldn't you change them. And sorry Tim if I Had realized it was you I would've just asked you what you meant.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

Lol to clarify I thought you meant that it was no big deal if it broke a stock one that he would have bigger problems. Go back and read it the way I thought lol. Sorry I read it again and I understand it the way you meant now. I was thinking that if you thought it might bend a stock pushrod why wouldn't you change them. And sorry Tim if I Had realized it was you I would've just asked you what you meant.
You won't likely break a stock pushrod, even with a MASSIVE cam. You'll end up bending one long before breaking one(although breaking the tip is mildly possible i guess). And it really isn't a big deal. LOL, I bent 4 in my Trans am doing a immature onramp shift from top of 3rd into 4th....eeeerrrrr 2nd! Manually overrevved the STOCK internal motor to god knows what. IT bent 4 pretty violently and i limped it to the next exit. Changed the rods with some other stock ones the next day and drove away a humbled man, haha. Fair enough, misunderstandings are bliss!!! Haven't been by the store in a while! I need to drop in. Keep your eyes out for anyone looking for a LS car. My Camaro is for sale.

Now, back to the OP!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Teching In

I have ls3 with LPE gt1 cam which is comparable to your hot cam. I bounce mine off the rev limited daily on stock pushrods. I put over 10k miles on them. I just replaced them yesterday with chromoly pushrods because I had then laying around and none of the stock push rods even showed signs of weakening or bending. Don't waste your money on pushrods unless you really want them.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Lol to clarify I thought you meant that it was no big deal if it broke a stock one that he would have bigger problems. ...

You WONT break a stock push rod. At worst, and it would be the first case I've heard of with a hot cam, you'd bend a few. And no, thats not a big deal IMO unless you tangle it up in the block like something youd see in a cartoon. IF you broke one, yes... I'd say you have bigger problems.

Just to recap for clarity, you don't need them. At all. Period.

Last edited by thatGTOguy; 03-14-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

I think that the oil pump and timing chain definitely should come first but its not like its a bad idea to get pushrods
Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
I think that the oil pump and timing chain definitely should come first but its not like its a bad idea to get pushrods
100% agree.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks guys. Looks like I MIGHT get them. Iam however a "what if", and "worst case scenario" kind of guy so theyll probably end up going in. Im familiar with a lot of the LS engines issues but I dont understand why a timing chain and oil pump with 83k of a 04 model LS1 should be replaced? Just curious, not trying to stir up an argument. Ive heard the older model 97-99 engines had issues but I dont think mine should, should it? Hasn't yet anyway.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 AM

i would change them bro
Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MotoFreak
i would change them bro
Agreed with the motofreak.. Change them out..
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to change them on that small of a cam i am running a hot cam with 1.8 rockers and yellow springs and i am hard on my car and have yet to have a problem with the stock pushrods, onless you already have a set laying around save the 120 bucks and spend it elswhere
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

The only thing I see as might happengin is if I dont end up doing BIG plans to it in the future and leave the stockers in there a while and a ball pop off. Its got 80k on it, been driven hard sometimes, but WELL taken care of. That cars like my child lol. First car I ever bought.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pushrods

In most hydraulic roller applications pushrod strength isn't a concern and you can save your money and keep the stock pushrods if they are the correct length. Usually the reasons for having to change pushrods in hydraulic roller Gen III/IV V8 applications (LS1, LS6, LS2 etc.) are the following:
  • your camshaft base circle is smaller than stock and you need a longer pushrod
  • your block deck height has changed
  • you changed to a different type of lifter (different length or different travel)
  • you have milled the heads/changed heads

The production lifters have a fairly significant amount of travel and can accept some changes in camshaft basecircle etc without requiring a different pushrod length. If you are using any of the aftermarket lifters, especially the short travel ones, then getting the pushrod length correct can be a bit more complicated because the lifter has less available travel and you have to be more exact on your pushrod length.

Although this doesn't happen as often anymore, you may also need to change the pushrods, even if your length is correct, if you have changed to some sort of unguided aftermarket rocker that needs a guide plate so then you need a hardened pushrod because the pushrod runs against the guide plate. If you don't have a hardened pushrod you will fairly quickly fail a pushrod as it gets worn away by the guide plate. This is often the reason for changing pushrods in L98 and LT1/LT4 applications (GM Gen I & II V8 engines).

IMHO with any cam change, even if the company says you don't need pushrods or supplies new pushrods and says those are the ones to use, you want to check the amount of travel/compression of the lifter and make sure you have the correct length pushrod.

Quick Reply: Pushrods needed, or not?