Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 top end inspection and what i have found.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 top end inspection and what i have found.

today i got to inspect my engine 2002 ls1 that developed a top end tick 2500 miles after doing a ms4 cam and prc 1.0 heads install.

All the lifters but one came out like butter. the front lifter on the drivers side of the engine is frozen in the lifter bore and will not move.
i have yanked and yanked on this sucker but no dice she is stuck for sure.
its not really a big deal being that im going to a different set up and as long as the lifter bore is not jacked up.

Has any one had this problem any tips would be great.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure it moves some or your cam lobe is completely round. If you can work it far enough "up" to pull the cam completely out, you can then push the lifter "down" into the crankcase. Since it's the #1 cylinder, you might could reach through the cam tunnel and and grab it with some long needle nose pliers...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several years ago I bought a 98 Formula M6 that started ticking the day after. After a month or more I sent it to get looked at. The mechanic (who I won't name) recommended throwing in a 6 liter first or opt to replace the lifters, which was the route I chose. After a 'new' set of lifters and 1,400 I noticed when picking the car up from him that it still ticked. He gave me a bs excuse and told me to drive it. Worst case scenario he said was it would lose about 5 hp. LOL Shortly thereafter I took it to SRP in Cincinnati (Thank you Tracey Scott!) who tore it down to find a lifter that came apart and trashed it's bore. Turns out the ball on bottom cracked in two. It was stuck in there pretty good too. They did charge about twice what LT1Dickhead charge me but they actually did something. Got me a used 99 block, had the crank polished, installed a 226/226 cam, p&p the tb, installed 918's and new push rods, and put a speed density tune in it. Through the stock LS1 intake, exhaust manifolds and without any other mods it put down 358/355 rwhp.
Good and bad news for me. Hopefully yours will be a totally unrelated issue that works out inexpensively. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I'm sure it moves some or your cam lobe is completely round. If you can work it far enough "up" to pull the cam completely out, you can then push the lifter "down" into the crankcase. Since it's the #1 cylinder, you might could reach through the cam tunnel and and grab it with some long needle nose pliers...
oh no it does not move at all its frozen in time for sure. Im waiting on a pulling tool to show up. other wise its tear it down and pull the block time

i just hope the block is ok.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Launching!

This really is messed up i planed to replace my prc heads with some trick flow heads and a different cam this throws a wrench in my plan.
If its a short block that is needed i will be useing the prc 1.0 heads and some sort of cam if i need to get a short block.

Quick Reply: ls1 top end inspection and what i have found.