Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some answers/clarifications for my build...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011 | 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Need some answers/clarifications for my build...

Just got an EPS 234/242 custom grind cam for my 98 formula m6. Has the stock 10 bolt with 4.10s and an Eaton posi unit in the rear, bit of suspension, clutch has been replaced over the years obviously etc etc. I was originally thinking just do the cam swap, enjoy that, then slowly do heads/intake, finish the suspension, etc, but now I'm thinking about maybe doing the heads at the same time. That being said, here's a few things I'm curious about and more info on what I will be doing..any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-EPS 234/242 .601/.605 111lsa custom grind
-With the cam I will be doing an LS2 timing chain, upgraded oil pump, pushrods, valve springs, and injectors
-If/when I do heads, they will be stock 243's until I save up to have them ported and with the heads I was planning to upgrade to the ls7 lifters with ls2 trays (or ls2 lifters with ls7 trays, always forget which it is haha)
-Is it worth it to save and do it all at the same time?
-Would the standard ls1 rocker arms work for the 243s?
-With all that, would I for sure need to replace the clutch? Or could I keep the clutch (im assuming its pretty basic) that's in there for a little while if I'm easy on it?
-Would I need to replace the fuel pump with it to a Racetronix one as well?
-What else would I need to do with any of that?

Last edited by 1Psycho; 03-21-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2011 | 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bumpp
Old 03-21-2011 | 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

C'mon guys..any advice?
Old 03-21-2011 | 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

If you can afford it, do it all at once. I wouldnt just swap to 243's then wait to do them down the road though. either stay with the stock heads or get the 243's ported before you install them.
Stock rockers are fine either way.
Ls7 lifters are the universal replacement lifters for any ls motor. IMO you do not need the ls2lifter trays but there are some on here that will swear up and down that you do.
I would leave the clutch alone until it starts causing you problems, you may be surprised at what it will hold.
You dont NEED an upgraded fuel pump. most people opt for one though.
Old 03-21-2011 | 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, thanks man. Well since it's a 98 I have the shitty 853 heads or whatever they are so 243s would be a solid upgrade until I saved a bit of cash to have someone port em out.
Really? I thought you had to have the ls2 trays for the ls7s to fit..what would be the reason to upgrade to the ls2 trays then? Sorry, not up to date on my lifter knowledge lol
Alright, then I'll just do the injectors and leave the pump and clutch alone for a bit and not beat the hell out of it for a little while haha
Old 03-21-2011 | 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1Psycho
Alright, thanks man. Well since it's a 98 I have the shitty 853 heads or whatever they are so 243s would be a solid upgrade until I saved a bit of cash to have someone port em out.
Really? I thought you had to have the ls2 trays for the ls7s to fit..what would be the reason to upgrade to the ls2 trays then? Sorry, not up to date on my lifter knowledge lol
Alright, then I'll just do the injectors and leave the pump and clutch alone for a bit and not beat the hell out of it for a little while haha
people run the ls2 lifter trays because they think its some kind of upgrade. the only thing the lifter trays do is hold the lifters up during a cam swap so you dont need to pull the heads. they make absolutely no contact with the lifters when the motor is running.
Id say dont worry about the clutch my car is still on some form of a stock type clutch and hasnt had problems H/C/I. same deal with the fuel pump, if it goes out oh well put a racetronix in.

The heads are really your call. but IMO i would wait and do it all at once and get ported 243's if thats what you want. no use in half assing it and not doing what you want with it now, because you will just be tearing back into the motor in a month or 2 when you have the cash and want the heads done. plus you will save money as you will only need tuned once.
Old 03-21-2011 | 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
people run the ls2 lifter trays because they think its some kind of upgrade. the only thing the lifter trays do is hold the lifters up during a cam swap so you dont need to pull the heads. they make absolutely no contact with the lifters when the motor is running.
Id say dont worry about the clutch my car is still on some form of a stock type clutch and hasnt had problems H/C/I. same deal with the fuel pump, if it goes out oh well put a racetronix in.

The heads are really your call. but IMO i would wait and do it all at once and get ported 243's if thats what you want. no use in half assing it and not doing what you want with it now, because you will just be tearing back into the motor in a month or 2 when you have the cash and want the heads done. plus you will save money as you will only need tuned once.
Alright, thanks man..I might do the lifter trays just for an extra $40 insurance because I guess with the stock trays theres a chance of the lifters turning and screwing the cam up. I'm probably just gonna do it all at once except for ported heads because I wanna finish up the suspension and interior then start building even more power since with 243s and a nice EPS cam will get me good numbers

Last edited by 1Psycho; 03-21-2011 at 10:32 PM.