Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious issue with Eagle stroker crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verbs
Funny how I started a thread a while back about Eagle cranks being garbage and and a few people came on and said hogwash......
I was gonna say the samething,but I reserved my opinion till now...my engine builder refuses to use them. Wash
Old 02-21-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy

This is like the LSX and the Holley intake or the Patriot Heads that came out. For months everyone said "oh this is going to be the ****....everyone should buy one NOW so they can get in on the ground level" . I'm a big believer in the "NEVER buy something untill it has been out for at least a six months to a year" philosophy. OTHER people will jump on the wagon first and spend THEIR money to find out all of the problems (and get them fixed).
Didn't you jump on the bandwagon when the BBK 80mm TB's came out?
Old 02-22-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chicago Z06
it cracks me up to hear all the bitching and moaning... boy everyone is getting lazy today... machining off the counter is NO big deal... hell people have been knife edging cranks for years... and nitriting, and heat treating, and cryo.. this is all done after the machining... and yes extra cost.. when your building high HP applications this is necessary. Clearancing blocks, small base circle cams, clearancing cranks this has been status quoe for years in engine building. I understand ordering a package should be "bolt in" but come on having to spend MAYBE 200-300 extra to clearance the crank is STILL a lot cheaper than the other setups out there.. there are too many combinations out there to machine for every possiblity. Buy their package and all is well... using your own components and machining becomes necessary. Geez have we all forgotten what it took to get a 3.75 or 85 crank in an LT1 or stroking a small block chevy with the 400 crank while using the 5.7 rods?? small base "custom" cam, block clearancing, water jacket holes, block filler, push rod lenghts.... the LS is still the easiest motor to work on. not sayign the gripe isn't legitimate, just remember there is still technology in this stuff and high performance is high performance... now we can all start bitching about NO true bolt in adjustable valve train with NO modifications...
I highly agree with you here, I think the problem is not really they are lazy though, I think we have inexperienced people comming into the LS1 world, they are good w/ LS1's, but they do not realize that these sort of things are the norm in the performance world.... I'll bet the experienced engine builders and machine shops would not be surprised about this at all, but to the average newbie it sounds like a really big deal.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by verbs
Didn't you jump on the bandwagon when the BBK 80mm TB's came out?
nope...bought mine USED because my stock TB was fucked up....

by the way...how are those Yella Terras doing......when they first came out you were ing them constantly

I have NEVER baught anything that has not been on the market for a MIN of 6 months......

Originally Posted by angst911
I highly agree with you here, I think the problem is not really they are lazy though, I think we have inexperienced people comming into the LS1 world, they are good w/ LS1's, but they do not realize that these sort of things are the norm in the performance world.... I'll bet the experienced engine builders and machine shops would not be surprised about this at all, but to the average newbie it sounds like a really big deal.
Its neither inexperience nor laziness......its expectation. When you buy something that is "supposed" to fit (this product is designed to work with ___ and ___ without any problems) and it doesn't, then that’s shitty . When I first read this post, I realized that the answer was to just turn the crank throws off "X" amount to clear and ballance, I just thought it was shitty for the above reason.

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 02-22-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2001, it's bought, not baught. Sorry, I'm **** retentive
Old 02-22-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

my bad.....I had only been up about 10 mins when I typed that (long night )
Old 02-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

Ive shipped a few eagle cranks to customers that ordered them from the shop. And I have one guy that read all these posts about clearancing and says "I dont want the crank anymore, refund it because its junk". Well unless the crank is wrong or damaged etc we dont refund things without a restocking fee to cover all the credit card % charges, shipping etc. And you tell the customer even eagle might cover the extra money to clearance...but he refused to be reasonable.

How would you guys deal with this?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
Ive shipped a few eagle cranks to customers that ordered them from the shop. And I have one guy that read all these posts about clearancing and says "I dont want the crank anymore, refund it because its junk". Well unless the crank is wrong or damaged etc we dont refund things without a restocking fee to cover all the credit card % charges, shipping etc. And you tell the customer even eagle might cover the extra money to clearance...but he refused to be reasonable.

I would:

a) give him the option to get it fixed and therefor Eagle will pay that cost (now he does not have a "junk" crank )

or

b) if he won't do that, then take the crank back and charge Eagle for any costs.

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 02-22-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1

I am not sure, but I think he is talking about me. I have no problem keeping the crank if I know for sure they were gonna eat the extra cost.I would have no problem paying to have the weights ground If I was told to expect that in the first place..I feel that this guy is a good guy to deal with and I know at this point that his hands are tied..but the key word in his statement was and is, eagle might cover extra cost..and also to those of you talking about how you had to do back in your day well I understand that as well, I heard the story from my dad a million times of" we had to make our things to fit" but these cranks were made to fit and ls1 and they should..
Thanks for everyones time!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just ordered an Eagle 383 kit from C5 Corvette group, they insists the issue is with the Diamond pistons for the most part ( I did mention this thread! ). Someone else in this thread posted about the piston manufacturer's needing to be included in the fitment testing. This may be where the big problem came from. C5 said all the kits he has sold with JE pistons have had no issues. I am paying the extra $250 clams for internal balancing so maybe they will catch a clearance problem then.
Last, I still wonder if the wrist pin offset and/or rod length were wrong for the original kit ordered. The 6.125" rod goes with a 3.900" crank and 6.100" fits the 4.00" one. Could have been some mixup at some point? Oh well, I'll post my results when they are available.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

For the second crank, the keyway ended up being 40-thou too wide for the key. So Eagle just asked for the crank to be returned and they are shipping another crank already cleared for 6.125 rods with a correct keyway.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you look close at the pictures that were posted the counter weights were about to hit the piston pin boss area on the bottom of the piston.If he was using a6.125 rod there should have been enough clearance in that area a 6.100 rod would have been even closer also even if the pistons had the wrong compression height the clearance problem at the pin area would be the same.I don,t know if everyone is having trouble with these Eagle cranks but I personally would not want to have to machine the crankshaft C.W.s.Also the cranks should fit from the factory. If Cola and Lunati can make a crank that fits so should Eagle . :
Old 03-11-2004, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking as someone that builds a lot of engines, this is why you pay someone to do this stuff that's done it before. Often you have to clearance things yourself and rebalance stuff anyway. It is just the way it is since the crank company doesn't always know what pistons and rods you will be using. It happens WAY more than you guys would probably believe. If you buy a crank by itself you have to make it fit yourself too. If you buy a kit I think it should all fit already. I don't know if these Eagle deals are in a kit or they're just selling the crank ala cart?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting theory, Erik/Racer. BTW, I just bought a "kit" from RaceNet there in Houston. You know anything about them? Thanks for any info!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ktmrider
Just ordered an Eagle 383 kit from C5 Corvette group, they insists the issue is with the Diamond pistons for the most part ( I did mention this thread! ). Someone else in this thread posted about the piston manufacturer's needing to be included in the fitment testing. This may be where the big problem came from. C5 said all the kits he has sold with JE pistons have had no issues. I am paying the extra $250 clams for internal balancing so maybe they will catch a clearance problem then.
Last, I still wonder if the wrist pin offset and/or rod length were wrong for the original kit ordered. The 6.125" rod goes with a 3.900" crank and 6.100" fits the 4.00" one. Could have been some mixup at some point? Oh well, I'll post my results when they are available.
I regularly build 4" strokers and always use 6.125" rods. The length of the rod is partially determined by the pin placement in the piston, the goal most often is trying to keep the pin out of the oil rings. As far as the issue you are unfortunately experiencing with your crank, I've got to agree with Erik (racer7088). Each piston manufacturer has their way of constructing a piston, and you'll sometimes find clearance issues with the pin bosses. The answer to that has already been covered. I'm curious, when you (or whoever assembled it) were turning over the engine by hand, could you feel any resistance or hear anything?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Eagle should know that a standard LS! stroker build up uses a 6.125" rod. How many aftermarket piston man's are making pistons for a 6.1" rod and 4" crank? None that I know of unless they are custom order.

Besides, the Eagle rods (6.125") were ordered with the Eagle 4" crank "Helloooo McFly!"
Old 03-11-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The eagle LS1 383 CID rotating assembly comes with JE pistons that are designed to work with a 6.2 inch rod.
The pin in the pistons is .927, the reason they are using the longer rod is to help the clearance issues a little, but clearancing still has to be done on the block and crank.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Banned

Finally some resolution!

I just got off the phone with a tech guy at eagle. He said they would cover all the shipping fees for us to send the cranks back to them. (thats about $60 per crank from our side of the country) and they will replace the crank or machine it correctly etc to keep the balance good as well.

But the crappy part of this is that its going to hold up several customers motors for a few weeks.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, I just got the same answer as C4Vette. Eagle is recalling all the existing cranks for re-engineering at this time. Bummer is that it will take around 30 days for turn around! I guess the motor can wait.

Quick Reply: Serious issue with Eagle stroker crank