Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new iron Block 402.. Dex-Cool or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn....I flush my cooling system yearly. At less than $20 it's not like its gonna break the bank.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by remauto1187

Maybe you havent "seen major problems" with dexcrap because YOUR F'N EYES ARE CLOSED ! ! ! !

I suppose the rest of the whole United States is "just making things up".... or all the lawsuits over dexcrap are just "people's imagination" trying to get rich schemes.

Please! Its hard working people trying to make a living that bought a GM product that is defective simply because GM refuses to admit that dexcool is destructive to ANY cooling system it is put into. Somebody is getting rich of dexcrap....and it sure isnt the hard working people! They are the ones paying for a new car/truck that should be fine with 40k-120k miles on them instead of broke down in the driveway with a fatal dexcool induced failure.

They tried the BS angle back in mid 90's that Dexcool won't harm pets unlike the green stuff to get it out in the market....and charged, what double atleast the cost of what ethylene glycol (green) is!

NO THANKS! I'll keep the Green. My Great Grandfather used it.....and I will always use it. I dont have to worry about it eating everything away.

***NOTE*** I am a diehard GM fan/owner.....but GM screwed the pooch on this one among many others. (Shall i say VIN R 5.7L leaking intake manifold) to bring back memories.

I own a '85 Corvette '99 GMC Sierra and 5.7L GEN I and 4.3L Equipped boat...the only thing i dont have gm is my lawnmower and 4 wheeler !
my great grandfather used to **** in a bucket...but that doesnt mean im ripping my toilet out anytime soon and replace it with a bucket.

times change. every GM vehicle i have owned has had dexcool in it. (95 GAGT, 95 Monte Carlo, 98 S-10, 02 Cavalier, 98 Z28)...even my 89 K5 has dex in it. i did a coolant flush when i first bought it and replaced the green with dexcool. havent had any problems yet. make note that the intake gaskets were leaking when i bought it...horribly. i blame that on the green stuff simply because everyone else blames intake gasket leaks on dexcool.

its common fact that small block chevys either gen 1, TBI/Vortec, or LT1 have intake gasket issues regardless of the coolant used.

evey GM vehicle ive had has never had any problems out of the ordinary that i could even remotely begin to blame on dexcool. and untill then ill chalk it up to operator error. (adding green to dex or failing to replace radiator caps...etc when their life expectancy expires.)
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That has got to be one of the weakest analogies i have ever heard! But if you really want to compare a toilet and your engines then so be it. It just reflects on your mechanical abilities.

And I never claimed that the Vin R intake leaks were caused by coolant. Its obvious you have never had to deal with all that or you would have jumped all over that misconception that you had!

Like I said before.....I suppose the rest of the U.S. is making shi^ up.....

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

I seen some unbelievable conditions caused by dexcool. The older coolants might turn bad after a very long time but NOTHINg like dexcool. I seen a cavaler with 75k that the cooling system was COMPLETELY clogged. You couldn't even flush it, It looked like someone pumped rusty grease into it.

I had a 89 camaro with the older green coolant in it for 200k! I changed it one time over 10 years and never had a problem. Try that with dexcool and you'll be tossing the engine away.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HELL NO, Green coolant only!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

remauto...your argument is weak. Untill you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that dex is infact causing the problems. You don't have a leg to stand on. For every car you claim is messed up by dex...there are just as many people claiming that they have cars that are perfectly fine...

From your argument I'm guessing your mechanical abilities aren't the greatest since every car with dex you owned is messed up.

My cars run perfect on dexcool because I maintain the cooling systems. If they need water they get only distilled water or pure dexcool.

Some preventative maintenence goes a long way...something you should try sometime.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

DEX COOL Sucks!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

i love the dex cool supporters.... If you maintain it perfectly the way you're supposed to it wont completely destroy your engine. Well No duh. I dont use full synthetic because it is magically restorative. I use it because I dont monitor my mileage with a notepad and change the oil exactly when the bottle and road conditions say so. Full synthetic allows me to be fuzzy in the times i do things a lot more than conventional oil would. Same goes for not using dex-cool. I can use regular anti-freeze and it doesn't matter if i dont change or flush it for 5 years. Hell, you can go 10 years and just top it off and it's not going to do even a fraction of the damage that dex-cool will do when you do the same.

It's not about what it does when you deal with it according to what they want, it's how much damage it does when you dont. It isn't magical in the mean-time compared to green stuff so why even bother with the risk?

And dex-cool had plenty of service bulletins when it started getting used in pontiacs around 2001ish or so dealing with eating intake gaskets specifically. I had a 01 grand am gt that had massive coolant leaking (it was less than 2 years old and the coolant system was not in need of any maintenance either scheduled or otherwise).

You go ahead and use dex-cool. I dont care. For all i know dex-cool today isn't even the same formula as the dex-cool back then. But you couldn't convince me to use dex-cool if you showed me car after car of perfectly clean non-gunky coolant systems using it. Maybe if you showed me more cars destroyed by green gunky muck than orange ...but until then, no.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

To each his own....but this ^^^ right here is a perfect example of pure laziyness.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588
remauto...your argument is weak. Untill you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that dex is infact causing the problems. You don't have a leg to stand on. For every car you claim is messed up by dex...there are just as many people claiming that they have cars that are perfectly fine...

From your argument I'm guessing your mechanical abilities aren't the greatest since every car with dex you owned is messed up.

My cars run perfect on dexcool because I maintain the cooling systems. If they need water they get only distilled water or pure dexcool.

Some preventative maintenence goes a long way...something you should try sometime.
LMAO. YOU ARE A JOKE! Hmmm im pretty sure its not the engines and their cooling systems causing problems.....only one thing left.....dexcrap! '
Im hoping your old enough that your reproducing abilities have ended.....there are enough Dumb A$$ES in this world....and they all want you to be their leader!

Have you even changed atleast a thermostat in any of your vehicles? Im guessing not or you would have seen what all the rest of us have. Or maybe you too...should open your F'n eyes too!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Let's add a few more things to the list...

No its not the engines and their cooling systems causing problems...it is...

1. Not maintaining the systems. Yes all my vehicles get coolant flushes once every 60-70k miles. Thermostats are fine and operating properly.

Here are the main causes of dexcool failure.

2. Adding tap water or green stuff to top off lost coolant.

3. Quick lube shops adding "compatiable with any color coolant" coolant. Green and dex do not mix period. So these universal coolants are
not universal.

4. Idiots who do not maintain their cooling systems regulary. Like you...I maintain mine. That's why I don't have problems with dexcool.

Everyone on here sounds like the honda fanboys when supporting green and bashing dex..."I can go 50k miles on a oil change and my honda will outlast your chevy". Who gives a ****. Why on earth would you neglect any system on your car regardless of the color of the coolant? Ill tell you why...sheer lazyness or lack of ability.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

bww get your facts straight.......dexcool was designed to be used with tap water.....thats one of its "selling points"
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html

It sucks hard enough to lose a class action lawsuit that spans 10 years of various models of GM cars.

GM changed most if not all of the affected components to different materials and manages to sweep the sludge under the rug of "maintenance error".

So yea, i'll use green stuff and maintain my car knowing that even if i decided to be an idiot and not keep up on it, i'm not going to be rewarded with a clogged coolant system covered in orange sludge (or any color sludge). So once again, why even bother having that hanging in the background the entire time you own your car? There's no reason.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form
bww get your facts straight.......dexcool was designed to be used with tap water.....thats one of its "selling points"
its main selling point was "100k life" as well.

just like the selling points of the "universal coolant"

but we all know thats not true.

no antifreeze regardless of manufactuer propylene glycol (green) or ethylene glycol (dex) is compatiable with tap water. tap water is full of impurities which have no business in a cooling system. this is what causes sludge. that and not keeping your fluid level full.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by remauto1187
LMAO. YOU ARE A JOKE! Hmmm im pretty sure its not the engines and their cooling systems causing problems.....only one thing left.....dexcrap! '
Im hoping your old enough that your reproducing abilities have ended.....there are enough Dumb A$$ES in this world....and they all want you to be their leader!

Have you even changed atleast a thermostat in any of your vehicles? Im guessing not or you would have seen what all the rest of us have. Or maybe you too...should open your F'n eyes too!
the rest of us? who might that be? people like you who neglect their cars? i think so. there are many many many cars on the road that are taken care of that have dexcool in them that are running fine...i have 3 of them.

all i can gather from your bullshit arguments is...

1. you dont maintain your vehicle good enough.

2. your pissed off because all 3 of my vehicles, even the ones that didnt come factory with dexcool that now do ('89 K5) are running just fine with perfectly functioning, non leaking, sludge free cooling systems that do not let the engine overheat and provide toasty warm heat all winter long, because i make sure the coolant is flushed and filled every 60-70k miles.

and even if i did have the green stuff you claim to be "idiot proof", i wouldnt leave it in there more than 60-70K miles. im starting to understand why you use green stuff...cause even an idiot cant **** that up.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

its main selling point was "100k life" as well.

just like the selling points of the "universal coolant"

but we all know thats not true.

no antifreeze regardless of manufactuer propylene glycol (green) or ethylene glycol (dex) is compatiable with tap water. tap water is full of impurities which have no business in a cooling system. this is what causes sludge. that and not keeping your fluid level full.
BS Dexcool was formulated so clean tap water can be used........why are you posting if you don't even know the most basic faqs? This is dexcools claim to fame ya knucklehead!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form
BS Dexcool was formulated so clean tap water can be used........why are you posting if you don't even know the most basic faqs? This is dexcools claim to fame ya knucklehead!
i never said they didnt claim that.

i said its common sense it shouldnt be used. why are you posting if you dont even know the most basic facts?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drained the orange going green.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

i never said they didnt claim that.

i said its common sense it shouldnt be used. why are you posting if you dont even know the most basic facts?
BS you know nothing.....with the old green coolant you needed to use distilled or deionized water. With dexcool you DO NOT. So get it right ya big weenie!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE Dexcool. Came in my 99 Z-71 and swapped it with more DC in 2007 at 155K. Now at 210K + and looking good... Topped off last summer when a heater hose fitting broke but not one issue that could remotely tied to it

It was in the 98 bird when I bought it in 07 and and have changed it a couple times but still in it.

Oh...that class action lawsuit means SQUAT... There was one against piston slap too and they never got anywhere... I don't wanna jack so I will start a new thread titled "piston slap".

Quick Reply: Brand new iron Block 402.. Dex-Cool or not?