Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost oil pressure on my LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost oil pressure on my LQ4

I was having some maintenance work done to my 02 1500 HD the water pump was leaking and we replaced the Oil cooler lines they leaked as well.

On my way home from the shop while waiting at a traffic light, I noticed the oil pressure was dropping so I give it some gas and it jumps up, next light it drops again, so I pull over and check the oil, its good, go back to start it up and see the gauge NO OIL PRESSURE, not 5 seconds went by and I shut it off and can hear the lifters chattering. I call a tow and now its back at the shop.

Has anyone seen anything like this ?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

I've see a local engine at the machine shop I use that had a cam bearing back out. It's either that or the pump I'd guess.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Default What would you do

I have a problem I have a clean and well taken care 2002 1500HD crewcab, something got into the oiling system and it lost oil pressure and the engine is spent....1. Would you rebuild
2. Buy a reman
3. find a decent complete engine in salvage yard

Also what other engines are compatible with my truck, ie LQ9 etc.

any help would be great.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did something get into the oil system? Its just about impossible unless someone put it in there. Could try pulling the oil sender off attach a hose with a fitting and run the engine for a few seconds and see what comes out. Usually if something "gets into the oil system" cloggs the lifters and may jam the oil pump relief valve. I've fixed engines with this problem rather quickly once i found whay type of material was causing the trouble. Good Luck......sounds like someone screwed up installing the oil cooler lines.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Thats a great question...but as far the oil cooler lines what can you do unless there was some crap/metal in the new lines the shop did not know about, we dropped the pan and cut open the filter, it looks like metalic brown paint in the pan and filter, and inspected the oil pump the bypass was stuck and popped while it was in my hands, so its time to cut bait.

What I need to know now is what other 6.0 engines are compatible with my harness/electronics, plug n drive.

Thanks for your info

Quick Reply: Lost oil pressure on my LQ4