Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kendogg
I'm not really sure that this pertains to anything I've asked. This is not a drag race vehicle, it'll never go to the strip, and drag racing has little to do with low-end (~2500 rpm) torque.
What? You asked about performance cams for a 5.3L, you do realize these are truck motors right?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
What? You asked about performance cams for a 5.3L, you do realize these are truck motors right?
Correct. First off, one of my friends pointed out that I'm being a bit more abbrasive than I should be when looking for help, so I wanteds to apologize for that. However, I'm not looking for a peak HP cam, 7k RPM fire-breathing won't really do anything for me. What I NEED is what I've already stated. Good all-around smooth powerband, don't care much about idle, low-end torque, and decent fuel economy. Hell, I've read about some people GAINING fuel economy with some cam upgrades. Sadly, cams are one area I'm not very familiar with, so unfortunately I need to ask for advice.

FWIW, I see alot of the main specs discussed (duration, lift, LSA), but nobody ever mentions ramp angles. From what i DO know, it's not just lift and duration, how quickly you can get that valve opened, and the rate at which you close it (lobes don't need to be symmetrical), is going to effect alot of things too, specifically valvetrain wear. I see alot of people commenting on spec'ing valvesprings by lift only, which really isn't correct. Ramp angles (really valvetrain acceleration) plays a significant role as well, and thats what will cause valve float, along with other harmonics.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are looking for 325whp and want good low end why are you looking for a different cam? I'd Clean up the bowls on the heads a little and a decent tuner can get 325whp all day long.
If the truck intake has larger runners than the LS1, then if your concerned about low end TQ, why not put a stock LS1 one on? Why put headers on?
Also tuned right the LS6 cam , you wouldnt notice a difference in TQ driving it. You seem to be trying to peice something together with random parts that already is capable of achieving in its near stock form. Camshaft is the last thing i'd be messing with in a case like this.
Thats my $.02
Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM
The House is Rockin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct. First off, one of my friends pointed out that I'm being a bit more abbrasive than I should be when looking for help, so I wanteds to apologize for that.

thru this whole thread all you have been acting like is a complete tool, demanding info, try using your own brain and do your own research. dont even come over to pt.net with that attitude, you will get eaten alive.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
If you are looking for 325whp and want good low end why are you looking for a different cam? I'd Clean up the bowls on the heads a little and a decent tuner can get 325whp all day long.
If the truck intake has larger runners than the LS1, then if your concerned about low end TQ, why not put a stock LS1 one on? Why put headers on?
Also tuned right the LS6 cam , you wouldnt notice a difference in TQ driving it. You seem to be trying to peice something together with random parts that already is capable of achieving in its near stock form. Camshaft is the last thing i'd be messing with in a case like this.
Thats my $.02

I've never liked porting and polishing, it's like a black art. If it was done on a CNC or other automated machine like a wire-feed EDM or something, with before/after flow modeling, then maybe I'd be ok with it. But outside of yanking stock heads, and swapping to different ones - it's really not something I'm interested in doing.

And why keep the truck manifold - all the flow data I've seen shows it outflows the LS1 intake. I'm not trying to peice anything together with andom parts, thats exactly why I made this thread. If I see what you're saying, you're recommending to retain the stock cam, and do something with the heads? What about swapping to a different stock head instead then? And also yes, I will be getting a dyno tune.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was stabbing a motor into a car I'd be swapping the cam before it goes in as well. What casting # heads are on there now? What year did the motor come from?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
thru this whole thread all you have been acting like is a complete tool, demanding info, try using your own brain and do your own research. dont even come over to pt.net with that attitude, you will get eaten alive.

You're right, I have been a dick. However, it's hard to keep composure when you continue to get responses that seem as if they pertain very little to what you actualy asked for. I am attempting to do my own research, but I assumed a simple cam recommendation would be easier than this - I guess it wasn't. I guess I need to borrow a book somewhere on camshaft design & theory, and hope I can read/understand it before my engine is ready to go in.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
If I was stabbing a motor into a car I'd be swapping the cam before it goes in as well. What casting # heads are on there now? What year did the motor come from?
I'll have to check the casting number when I get home, but something like 802, or 852 sounds right? The engine is an aluminum block 5.3 (LM4 I beleive??) from an '04 Buick Raineer.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I've never liked porting and polishing, it's like a black art. If it was done on a CNC or other automated machine like a wire-feed EDM or something, with before/after flow modeling, then maybe I'd be ok with it. But outside of yanking stock heads, and swapping to different ones - it's really not something I'm interested in doing.

And why keep the truck manifold - all the flow data I've seen shows it outflows the LS1 intake. I'm not trying to peice anything together with andom parts, thats exactly why I made this thread. If I see what you're saying, you're recommending to retain the stock cam, and do something with the heads? What about swapping to a different stock head instead then? And also yes, I will be getting a dyno tune.
Why are you so concerned about more airflow for the intake when you're only looking for 325whp and want optimal torque? You make no sense. You can make well over 400whp on a stock ls1 intake and if it flows less would probably be better for lower end TQ. Flow data has nothing to do with your goal. You have an engine that is making optimal TQ, and is capable of making 325whp with someone that knows how to tune it, and you're changing stuff and researching airflow?? trying to achieve this??
Quit wasting your time... throw it together w/ the LS6 cam and run it. You'll be happy and no need to waste time trying to re-invent the wheel.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Why are you so concerned about more airflow for the intake when you're only looking for 325whp and want optimal torque? You make no sense. You can make well over 400whp on a stock ls1 intake and if it flows less would probably be better for lower end TQ. Flow data has nothing to do with your goal. You have an engine that is making optimal TQ, and is capable of making 325whp with someone that knows how to tune it, and you're changing stuff and researching airflow?? trying to achieve this??
Quit wasting your time... throw it together w/ the LS6 cam and run it. You'll be happy and no need to waste time trying to re-invent the wheel.

The other reason is that I'd have to change out all of the front accessories as well, and why spend such a rediculous amount of money to change all that stuff when I already have an intake that flows better?

I've heard alot of good things about the LS6 cam, but I've also read about people talking about a loss of low-end torque. problem is, nobody has a dyno graph of a STOCK motor with an LS6 cam, so it's really hard to compare.

Last edited by kendogg; 04-15-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

The other reason is that I'd have to change out all of the front accessories as well, and why spend such a rediculous amount of money to change all that stuff when I already have an intake that flows better?

I've heard alot of good things about the LS6 cam, but I've also read about people talking about a loss of low-end torque. problem is, nobody has a dyno graph of a STOCK motor with an LS6 cam, so it's really hard to compare.
The loss of low end TQ would probably be the tuner. I just swapped in a 224/224 .581/.581 112 cam into my vette. I been messing with the fuel and timing and it seems to have more low end then the stock cam did now. A stock dyno graph is worthless.. your not going to be able to throw a stock LS6 tune in it and have it run the same. Lots of things can effect the RPM band, and a lot can be done to make up for what a cam does.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Launching!

The loss of low end TQ would probably be the tuner. I just swapped in a 224/224 .581/.581 112 cam into my vette. I been messing with the fuel and timing and it seems to have more low end then the stock cam did now. A stock dyno graph is worthless.. your not going to be able to throw a stock LS6 tune in it and have it run the same. Lots of things can effect the RPM band, and a lot can be done to make up for what a cam does.
Well, a stock dyno graph can be a nice comparison to see what the end result is from stock. So, you're saying with an LS6 cam (and of course the proper springs), and a dyno tune alone, I should see low 300's to the wheels on 93 pump? I forget if I mentioned it in any of the posts above, but I'm planning on either dual 2.25", or dual 2.5" all the way back, proper X-pipe, and a single dual-in, dual-out muffler. And at this point, whatever headers I can make fit, hopefully small primary long-tubes.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Also, what kind of fuel economy would the Z06 cam and a tune yield? not asking for numbers, as thats not really very easy to predict, but better or worse than stock?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

As you said earlier , many people gain mpgs from a cam and solid tune. With your setup I see no reason why you wouldn't gain in that category. I don't assume the factory 5.3 Raineer motors come optimally tuned.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know in my TA I went from 26/7 mpg to 28/9 after my cam/tune.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
I know in my TA I went from 26/7 mpg to 28/9 after my cam/tune.

Really? Damn, thats good! What cam, and what rear gearing do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Completely different application, I know, I'm just curious how radical you went. My stock rear gearing is a 3.73. I don't have many ratios to choose from being a Volvo IRS diff, but there are a few out there, and I plan on buildin an LSD later on, so.....

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by kendogg; 04-15-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Well, a stock dyno graph can be a nice comparison to see what the end result is from stock. So, you're saying with an LS6 cam (and of course the proper springs), and a dyno tune alone, I should see low 300's to the wheels on 93 pump? I forget if I mentioned it in any of the posts above, but I'm planning on either dual 2.25", or dual 2.5" all the way back, proper X-pipe, and a single dual-in, dual-out muffler. And at this point, whatever headers I can make fit, hopefully small primary long-tubes.
that power level I think is totally doable...even w/ a stock cam.
the mpg thing.... That is all what you set in the tune....which is a necessity after a cam. You can tune a stock LS1 to get better mileage and make more power w/o doing anything else to it.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really? Damn, thats good! What cam, and what rear gearing do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Completely different application, I know, I'm just curious how radical you went. My stock rear gearing is a 3.73. I don't have many ratios to choose from being a Volvo IRS diff, but there are a few out there, and I plan on buildin an LSD later on, so.....

Thanks for the help guys!
Pat G spec'd 227/235 EPS cam on stock 3.42 gears, M6 trans. I'm not the only case either. My buddy had an Si5 cam (231/237) on stock 3.42 gears as well and he was getting the same mileage as me. There's people on here with hot cams and smaller duration cams that swear they get 30+mpg on the highway. My tune was spot on. A lot of others in the area that don't have his tune had bucking/surging issues.

As others have said, it's all in the tuners hands. Mine, I could just simply let out the clutch and roll @ 5mph drama. Same said in part throttle @ 20-30mph.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Launching!

I have to agree with the other poster. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel. Call 3 camshaft manufacturers/dealers and give them your info and see what they say. Its their science.....they know it and spent alot of money to learn and produce it.

325rwhp out of a 5.3L? You know that bone stock they put out 285-315hp in the trucks they were originally installed in, right?

Bore it to 3.898 or 3.905, throw some LS1 pistons in it, ls6 cam or equivalent, some 243/799 heads, ls6 intake and call it a day! 350hp min. will be the end result.

Ill let you know the dyno numbers when mine is all done.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by remauto1187
I have to agree with the other poster. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel. Call 3 camshaft manufacturers/dealers and give them your info and see what they say. Its their science.....they know it and spent alot of money to learn and produce it.

325rwhp out of a 5.3L? You know that bone stock they put out 285-315hp in the trucks they were originally installed in, right?

Bore it to 3.898 or 3.905, throw some LS1 pistons in it, ls6 cam or equivalent, some 243/799 heads, ls6 intake and call it a day! 350hp min. will be the end result.

Ill let you know the dyno numbers when mine is all done.

295 bhp, yes. No idea what that translates into at the wheels, because as I stated before I've yet to find a stock baseline dyno, and unfortunately I won't be able to get one either. But I'd guess somewhere in the ~240-250 rwhp. So, yes, I do question being able to gain ~75 hp with just a cam exhaust and tune. And no I'm not doing all that work, did you not read I'm keeping the motor as stock as possible?

Quick Reply: 5.3l questions