Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine bone stock with 120k on it and did all mods in sig. It now has 173k and running stronger than ever. BTW I dd mine 110 miles a day to and from work and average over 20mpg. Yeah Id say its a reliable engine....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

Tell that to the guys that go to start their engines after a rain storm and they toss a rod out the side of the block. Cast Iron engine woooood just lock up, cheap aluminum blocks come apart.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
Tell that to the guys that go to start their engines after a rain storm and they toss a rod out the side of the block. Cast Iron engine woooood just lock up, cheap aluminum blocks come apart.
That has nothing to do with the integrity of a block they sucked in water that SNAPPED a steel rod and sent it through the side of the block. if has enough power to break a steel rod 1" thick it has enough to break an iron block... Btw should I tell my friend that just had a leaky injector on his 5.0 cause a hydrolock and cause him to leave half of cylinders 3 and 4 on the driveway that it cant happen to an iron block? Bottom line is you shouldnt be hydrolocking engines they werent made to do that and run ya know lmao.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redbird555
That has nothing to do with the integrity of a block they sucked in water that SNAPPED a steel rod and sent it through the side of the block. if has enough power to break a steel rod 1" thick it has enough to break an iron block... Btw should I tell my friend that just had a leaky injector on his 5.0 cause a hydrolock and cause him to leave half of cylinders 3 and 4 on the driveway that it cant happen to an iron block? Bottom line is you shouldnt be hydrolocking engines they werent made to do that and run ya know lmao.
BS you don't even know what i'm talkin about.......You'r telling me that water in a cylinder that leaked in while the engine was shut off AND NOT running should be able to break the block as the starter turns the engine over????????

I seen COUTLESS cast iron engines with bad head gaskets that hydroed as you tried to start them....NOT ONE EVER ruined the block.

FACE it aluminum is junk! thats why they use it to make soda cans....it throw away garbage.

Don't bs me i've bean doing this a VERY LONG time.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, ya can't BS a BSer...

We all get it, you don't like aluminum blocks.

Next...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

BS you don't even know what i'm talkin about.......You'r telling me that water in a cylinder that leaked in while the engine was shut off AND NOT running should be able to break the block as the starter turns the engine over????????

I seen COUTLESS cast iron engines with bad head gaskets that hydroed as you tried to start them....NOT ONE EVER ruined the block.

FACE it aluminum is junk! thats why they use it to make soda cans....it throw away garbage.

uhh yea i think this guys with the NAACP(NATIONAL ANTI-ALUMINUM CONSERVATIVE PARTY) LOL i am a ford guy,first and foremost,never liked chevy parts or styling,but when i did some research on motors for my 88rx7 i read up on the ls1 and was nothing short of impressed,sure these motors have had problems over the years such as early oil pump issues and rod bolts,etc. but as far as the block design,nothing but outstanding engineering,ive got three books on these motors so i learned all the possible problems and ways to make them more durable when i rebuild mine,the only discrepancy i see with the blocks is when you go to torque a headbolt down you sure better not have any uncompressible material in there or it will be junk,im sure thats true for many alum. blocks though,dont know where you been getting all your info but maybe you should go read a book?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I have seen it happen so theres your devils advocate.... Now if aluminum is complete junk then the ls6 shortblock in my garage that was hydrolocked should be toast right?? Well needless to say its not a new rod and bearing and the thing is good as new NO BLOCK DAMAGE. If starting a motor up creates enough pressure to break a rod you better damn believe it would have enough power to go through an iron block especially in an area where the block is much thinner than the rod...

But ya we get it you just dont like aluminum its ok, btw the reason they use al in soda cans is that it doesnt rust and is lighter than steel... Theres no point in arguing anymore with you as you are the only person who seems to have a problem with aluminum blocks in this thread. One other thing I dont care how long you've been doing this, it's kinda like riding a bike just because you may have been doing it all of your life doesnt mean your Lance Armstrong. Get my drift?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Aluminum blocks are weak, look through the posts on this site. I'll bet there are 100's of posts about blocks breaking at start up. Thats just unacceptable in a production engine IMO. At least they should have not used a reduction starter and save the block from damage. NOWAY a starter should be able to develope enough force to ruin the block. I think gm engineering is lacking in this engine's application and supporting systems. Same with the intake design and windshield, If rain water is going to allowed to flow freely over the engine at least it should be water tight that water can't enter the intake. Maybe a cheap 10 dollar plastic cover? Anything to save the poor soda can engine.

They even sound like a soda machine with all the clicking and knocking and ticking. Sometimes I expect a tilt light to flash on or a couple quarter's to pop out the dash.

Last edited by O2Form; 04-18-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

WOW... U do realize that none of what you said up there makes any reference to the strength of an aluminum engine right? The sewing machine noise is common on all commonly based lsx and lqx engines so I'd say its more of an aluminum head trait more than a block trait. And once again if cranking a motor over has enough power to bust a rod it certainly can send that piece of the rod through a block iron or not... OP sorry for jacking your thread I'm done answering to this guy, a lot of us have explained why the motor is great and proven he's just one who happens to disagree and skews the information.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=O2Form;14799855]Aluminum blocks are weak, look through the posts on this site. I'll bet there are 100's of posts about blocks breaking at start up. Thats just unacceptable in a production engine IMO. At least they should have not used a reduction starter and save the block from damage. NOWAY a starter should be able to develope enough force to ruin the block. I think gm engineering is lacking in this engine's application and supporting systems. Same with the intake design and windshield, If rain water is going to allowed to flow freely over the engine at least it should be water tight that water can't enter the intake. Maybe a cheap 10 dollar plastic cover? Anything to save the poor soda can engine.

They even sound like a soda machine with all the clicking and knocking and ticking. Sometimes I expect a tilt light to flash on or a couple quarter's to pop out the dash.[/QUOTE]

LMFAO at this but at the same time I love my ls1 soda/sowing machine.
Theres no doubt these engines are VERY reliable I am on my 3rd ls1 camaro and never once (knock on wood) have I been left stranded anywhere.
Now although I believe that this aluminum block can hold alot of power I wouldnt expect it to hold more than an iron block. Ill have to agree with 02form because aluminum just isnt as strong and probly is more fussy than an iron block but ill also say that aluminum block isnt as bad as how 02 form is making it sound. Theres my unbias .02
Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Cast iron blocks are just about bullet proof, Aluminum blocks are crap. They are high tech, fussy and full of problems. I've seen cast iron block ran WITHOUT coolant that melted the cam bearings into the mains AND after freshing up up they still run fine. Aluminum blocks are touchy, just ask gm how many they toss out in a production run.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Aluminum blocks are weak, look through the posts on this site. I'll bet there are 100's of posts about blocks breaking at start up. If rain water is going to allowed to flow freely over the engine at least it should be water tight that water can't enter the intake. Maybe a cheap 10 dollar plastic cover? Anything to save the poor soda can engine.
They even sound like a soda machine with all the clicking and knocking and ticking. Sometimes I expect a tilt light to flash on or a couple quarter's to pop out the dash
It's obvious this guy is just trolling this thread. No one is disputing that cast iron is stronger than aluminum. Duh.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
how did we all "prove" that they dont last very long?

and OP, my t/a has piston slap aswell, its very common and nothing to worry about, im at 168k and still going strong

After building, yes actually building 302's. Including, boring, honing, decking & milling.

The 302 is a good powerplant, don't get me wrong. It's plenty capable of 400 RWHP Reliably, however anymore than that and it's a timebomb. They split from the lifter valley straight down to the pan. The rods are also an incredible weak spot, being iron rods they warp easily under detonation. After enough detonation the 302 pistons pit and crater I can send you a dumptruck full of detonated pistons even out of low mileage blocks.

The ls1 however is 100% more efficient at dissipating heat and expanding/shrinking. A H/C/I LS1 can put down near 470 RWHP and be incredibly reliable.

The only known problem is the upper ring lan inbetween 3k-3500 rpm's under light load floats and burns oil. And the short skirt pistons wobble slightly when cold, which is the knock. But my ls1's only got 113k beaten on miles and still leakdown & normal compression testing 97% of highest!

Have you also seen the crank walk on the thrust bearing, these little ******* move around alot.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by x42bnx
After building, yes actually building 302's. Including, boring, honing, decking & milling.

The 302 is a good powerplant, don't get me wrong. It's plenty capable of 400 RWHP Reliably, however anymore than that and it's a timebomb. They split from the lifter valley straight down to the pan. The rods are also an incredible weak spot, being iron rods they warp easily under detonation. After enough detonation the 302 pistons pit and crater I can send you a dumptruck full of detonated pistons even out of low mileage blocks.
I was going to mention this but didnt want to feed the Troll!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

When ever you guys don't like what someone posts....troll troll geez get over it and find some other complaint!

I'm stating my opinion, if you don't like I DON"T CARE!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

When ever you guys don't like what someone posts....troll troll geez get over it and find some other complaint!

In general iron is stronger, nobody argued that, move on!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

We don't like it, go elsewhere with it please.

Idk why you're on an LS (aluminum engine) forum when all I ever see is you bashing them. You say you've been doing this a while and that's obvious too, you cant teach an old dog new tricks right? Well here's a new trick! Lightweight, perfectly reliable, fuel mileage and performance enhancing ALUMINUM v8 engine. If you don't like the new stuff go play with a small block!

Seriously If you don't like it then go watch Bambi.
If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
We don't like it, go elsewhere with it please.

Idk why you're on an LS (aluminum engine) forum when all I ever see is you bashing them. You say you've been doing this a while and that's obvious too, you cant teach an old dog new tricks right? Well here's a new trick! Lightweight, perfectly reliable, fuel mileage and performance enhancing ALUMINUM v8 engine. If you don't like the new stuff go play with a small block!

Seriously If you don't like it then go watch Bambi.
If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.
I agree with you but my points are valid too. GM should have spent a little more time on the little things that screw these cars badly.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

ok but lets be real here. we can play the shoulda woulda coulda game all day long with gm, mopar, ford, datsun, honda, toyota, etc....you get my drift. I feel very confident that many improvements have been made since the LS1's creation
Old 04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock iron 5.0 block from early 90's ford making 600hp

stock ls1 block making 600hp

See which one cracks in half first by JUST making that amount of power, not an abnormal situation (hydrolocking, running abnormally lean, etc)

Quick Reply: Piston slap