Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Question, I have searched A LOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb Question, I have searched A LOT

Ok, so I sincerely mean it when I say I have actually searched and I know I am going to get flamed like hell for this but whatever.. I have read alot about these oil catch cans and now im just confused.

What I have gathered from SEARCHING is that the PCV system on LS1 cars suck and vent oil back into the intake, right? If thats the case then the oil catch can grabs that oil and prevents it from going into the intake runners, throttle body, all that, right?

Then I see guys say to put a breather in place of the oil fill cap and do away with the PCV system all together and it works just as well.. so why spend the money on the catch can?? I know its a newb questions but im confused and need clarity on this subject
Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breathers do not work as well, that is a step backwards technologically from an emissions and oil life point of view.

The PCV system does like to suck some oil into the intake. The LS6 style PCV system (especially the 04+) contained in the valley cover offers an improvement in this regard. A catch can on the stock style system reduces the amount of oil that goes into the intake manifold by catching it in the can. The best way to put it is that it doesn't really reduce the amount of oil lost, but does reduce the amount consumed.

The reason to have a PCV system under vacuum is to pull combustion vapors and other crap that doesn't need to be in the oil and put them back into the motor for combustion and expulsion through the exhaust system. This helps keep your oil in better condition for a longer period of time.

I think most of the info on catch cans is in the external engine section if you didn't look there already.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, I kept using the search function looking for info and never realized there are two forums for Generation III engine (internal, external) I feel like a tool sorry
Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

type "ls1 catch can" in the search... it works best to quote what your searching for!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Tried that.. nothing about why you need it, which one works better, ect ect...

See screen shot
Attached Thumbnails Newb Question, I have searched A LOT-untitled.jpg  
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a good place to start, long but covers most of the stuff about catch cans and the PCV
"My Catch can routing ok?"

Here is a random thread about catch cans with some recommendations if the above is not enough.
"Best Catch Can??"

Here is some stuff about the LS6 valley cover. I think I mentioned it before but you want the 04+ part because it is better than the earlier one. Also there is nothing to preclude doing the LS6 valley and a catch can.
"LS6 valley cover vs. catch can on an LS1"
Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Excellent responses from Haz-Matt