Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Un-freakin believable. I will be da@#ed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT THE FIX TO IT. i'll call and get some mighty putty from Billy Maze and put on it...
Or one better than that. The original fix all McGiver putty. J.B. BY GOD WELD. I'm headed to Napa. LOL.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn dude, sorry to hear about the block. Def a good time to upgrade to a six liter! Good luck with the build and finding a new powerhouse for the ride. ...I was gunna mention jb weld as a joke

Originally Posted by z99ls1
im really sorry to hear about that man, that sucks. That is why when I am working on something really important I don't use powerfull air tools and just use a ratchet where you can feel if something is getting more tuff than it should be.
haha I said the same thing when I read that first post after the OP posted this thread...no need to make fun of someones misfortune; very immature and I am a firm believer in karma so hopefully his block dont crack next...

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 05-08-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Rockstar

Go Bigger...
Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I've heard that pop before while assembling my buddy's h/c setup. That'll make your heart skip a beat. Nothing happened, but it scared both of us stiff for a couple seconds.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

I was so afraid of this when I bolted my AFRs on that I blew them out with a compressor, sucked them out with a vacuum, jammed paper towel in there to dry em out, chased em out, and then blew em out, and vacuumed them again for good measure. Then finally I climbed in the engine bay with a magnifying glass to check each one.

Sorry to hear man, better luck next time.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

^ A bore-scope would REALLY come in handy there!! 0_o
Old 05-07-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chicken Coupe

Was installing my heads and cracked the F-ing block. Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, blankety, blank, blank. I cleaned out the holes until old bolts screwed in and out freely, even sprayed brake clean in them and blew' em out. Was installing the passenger head and was running them down with my air ratchet until the touched the head and not a very powerful air ratchet at that. Just a cheap 45.00 dollar one. It got a little tight and wasn't even touching the head yet and all of a sudden pop and it started screwing in like normal again and at the same time I noticed water coming from front of engine block. I said what the heck. And backed the bolt back out a run back in and sure enough, freakin water pushing out the block. I thought when it was getting a little tight that it was the thread locker on the new bolts grabbing hold. But who the heck knows now. Motor is is fixin to hit the floor in about an hour. Gonna push it out in the yard and put a cover over it until I can find me a 6.0 iron block or a long block to go in this thing. This is . Maybe this block will be used someday to make beer cans................. Anybody got any suggestions on a nice budget build on a 6.0 with a decent rotating assembly.
brake cleaner doesnt dry in holes like that. the surface area is much too small, even when blowing it out with an air gun. i almost made the same mistake.

sucks.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kmracer
brake cleaner doesnt dry in holes like that. the surface area is much too small, even when blowing it out with an air gun. i almost made the same mistake.

sucks.
Same here. I made a thread chaser using an old head bolt and ran it w/ WD-40 through each hole until it came out clean. Took at least 3 iterations on each hole.

Sprayed each hole w/ brake cleaner, ran a rifle brush to remove the gunk.

Then I used the Shop Vac, 120psig air nozzle, both at the same time...still had a puddle of brake cleaner in the holes.

I finally bought 2 cans of computer cleaner w/ long plastic tip, laid a paper towel over each hole, and blew it out. Went back and checked each hole and they were completely dry finally.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

^ 0_o THat is a good fukin idea right there! Rife bore brush! Wire......... hell yeah.. Strap that beotch to a t-handle and go to town.. But take it easy.. Aluminum and all.

Right. The puddle won't dry but the sprayed surface should. -Depending on the Brakleen "model." Some dries easy, some doesn't.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats with the brake cleaner? Clean the threads and blow out period. I check mine with a flashlight and never assemble engines with air wrenchs...that is how I do it.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

^ That too. I never used air tools to assemble it. Only taking small stuff off. Covers, pumps, Alt... etc etc.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys don't use an impact gun to put the heads on??? Just kidding.

Sorry to the original poster about it. It's one of the reasons I went with studs. Manually run them in and if you can't do it by hand, there's something wrong. Then you never have to worry about coolant in the bolt holes again.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A good rule of thumb to use on the pre-2004 blocks....

Unless you have an air nozzle that will reach the very end of the hole to blow water out, most of the time you will not get the last 1/4" of water out of the hole. It's best (only on pre-04 blocks) to take a sheet of paper towel, twist it up like a Twizzler, and twist it down each of the deep holes. Let it sit over night. This will soak up the remaining little bit of water down each hole. You'll be surprised to see how soaked the paper towel is the next morning, even after blowing them out with compressed air.

The 04+ blocks have short holes and it's easy to get the water out with compressed air. Pre-04 blocks take a little more attention to do so. I know it doesn't help the OP now, but hopefully this post will prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

Also, you can make your own thread chaser with a stock head bolt that works just as good as any ARP chaser.

Last, but not least. Physics/Chemistry 101: Water does not compress, and WILL win the fight to find room every time.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love reading this stuff BEFORE I do my own H/C. I will be very careful when I get to this step.

Do you make a thread chaser by notching the stock head bolt vertically?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
A good rule of thumb to use on the pre-2004 blocks....

Unless you have an air nozzle that will reach the very end of the hole to blow water out, most of the time you will not get the last 1/4" of water out of the hole. It's best (only on pre-04 blocks) to take a sheet of paper towel, twist it up like a Twizzler, and twist it down each of the deep holes. Let it sit over night. This will soak up the remaining little bit of water down each hole. You'll be surprised to see how soaked the paper towel is the next morning, even after blowing them out with compressed air.

The 04+ blocks have short holes and it's easy to get the water out with compressed air. Pre-04 blocks take a little more attention to do so. I know it doesn't help the OP now, but hopefully this post will prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

Also, you can make your own thread chaser with a stock head bolt that works just as good as any ARP chaser.

Last, but not least. Physics/Chemistry 101: Water does not compress, and WILL win the fight to find room every time.
Nice tips. I would add, avoid using power tools when installing heads. Use a good torque wrench instead and take your time.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicken Coupe
DANG!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT THE FIX TO IT. i'll call and get some mighty putty from Billy Maze and put on it...
Or one better than that. The original fix all McGiver putty. J.B. BY GOD WELD. I'm headed to Napa. LOL.
if you have a good welding shop near by, it would pay to see if it can be welded up.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Do you make a thread chaser by notching the stock head bolt vertically?
Thats what I did, worked great.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss1le02
I was so afraid of this when I bolted my AFRs on that I blew them out with a compressor, sucked them out with a vacuum, jammed paper towel in there to dry em out, chased em out, and then blew em out, and vacuumed them again for good measure. Then finally I climbed in the engine bay with a magnifying glass to check each one.

Sorry to hear man, better luck next time.
this now... before i was a little nervous about putting my shortblock together,now im just gonna be plain paranoid until its all together
Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
damn dude, sorry to hear about the block. Def a good time to upgrade to a six liter! Good luck with the build and finding a new powerhouse for the ride. ...I was gunna mention jb weld as a joke

haha I said the same thing when I read that first post after the OP posted this thread...no need to make fun of someones misfortune; very immature and I am a firm believer in karma so hopefully his block dont crack next...
Someone doesn't know when someone is poking fun at another person....
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Sucks about the block though. Same thing happened to a buddy, and he put a 6.0 in his and is making 478 Hp to the wheels or somewhere around there. At least you have nowhere to go but up

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 05-08-2011 at 11:33 PM.