Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vindiactor and 243's question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vindiactor and 243's question

I have an 01 Z/28 and it has a stock ls1 in it . I bought a set of 243's and had a p/p and VJ done on them and I also have Veng. vindiactor cam. question I have is who has done this and do I need to flycut the pistons because of the size of this cam. or will I be ok.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by somZ2801
I have an 01 Z/28 and it has a stock ls1 in it . I bought a set of 243's and had a p/p and VJ done on them and I also have Veng. vindiactor cam. question I have is who has done this and do I need to flycut the pistons because of the size of this cam. or will I be ok.
It will be close ptv, but the valve job helped you with a tad extra clearance though. Get with Ron and he should have a number on how far it clears by.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

careful...did the machinist cut the deck surface of the heads? More importantly, where are you dialing the cam in?

Don't screw around here...CHECK IT!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

nothing was milled on the heads. i was going to just line the cam up dot to dot and see if it would spin without hitting i was just wondering if anybody had done this without flycutting . If I have to flycut is it able to be done in the car i dont want to pull the motor
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if it spins cold things happen when it gets hot and parts expand, remember that. It will be close but it *should* clear if everything is correct. Personally if you dont mind flycutting i would, and run a smaller head gasket for more compression while you have the heads off. It will help your car quite a bit because of the size of that cam.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by somZ2801
nothing was milled on the heads. i was going to just line the cam up dot to dot and see if it would spin without hitting i was just wondering if anybody had done this without flycutting . If I have to flycut is it able to be done in the car i dont want to pull the motor
That is a horrible way to determine PTV clearance. You could freewheel with .010 clearance...but it won't run with that...for long anyway. Spend the time to do it right...you won't regret it.

Yes...they make a tool for cutting the pistons in the car. You have to pull the head, but not the engine. There are actually threads here on the site that discuss it. Tool is about $100 for a good one if I recall. I may even have a brand new one.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
That is a horrible way to determine PTV clearance. You could freewheel with .010 clearance...but it won't run with that...for long anyway. Spend the time to do it right...you won't regret it.

Yes...they make a tool for cutting the pistons in the car. You have to pull the head, but not the engine. There are actually threads here on the site that discuss it. Tool is about $100 for a good one if I recall. I may even have a brand new one.
Best way to check ptv?Without all the million dollar tools.