Sponsored by:

'01 Z28 bogging down during mid-throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '01 Z28 bogging down during mid-throttle

Hi all!

Total newbie here. Purchased a 2001 Z28 with A4 (122,000 mi) last weekend and still blown away by the awesomeness of this ride! Already noticing a severe (?) problem with it though. Here's the story:

I purchased the 'Ro as a weekend driver that I would eventually like to mod enough to take to our local drag strip. For now, though, I have a 15-day, 500-mile warranty that states that the dealership must fix any power/drivetrain errors that I can find. So I've been using the car all week to see if I can notice anything unpleasant about it. Up until today it was driven very softly, never really enough acceleration to bring it past 2,000 rpms, about 95% of the time with one or two WOTs per day thrown in for good measure (what good is having a Z28 if you're not gonna open the bad boy up, right?). I find nothing wrong under normal throttle use, and it seems ok during WOT, but today I tried something different and was fairly alarmed.

I decided to start slowly from a stop and then when the A4 slipped into 2nd I gradually depressed the gas pedal. Enough throttle to accelerate all the way through 2nd without dropping back into 1st or slipping into 3rd. Imagine my horror when the engine totally bogged down when it neared 3,000 rpms. It bogged down for about a full second, spurted back to normal for a split second, then bogged down again until I was above 4,000 rpms or so. I tried it several more times on the way home from work and it was the same thing every single time. Normal acceleration: fine. WOT: fun as hell. Mid-way between those two extremes: it was bogging down every time.

Please help! If anyone has experienced this before and found out what caused it please let me know so that I can bring it to the dealership's attention when I take it for repairs this weekend. This is my new honey and I want to make sure she's kept in good shape!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you change the fuel filter before you try anything else.

Quick Reply: '01 Z28 bogging down during mid-throttle