Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun bearing or bent rod? and opinions on next route?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011 | 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default spun bearing or bent rod? and opinions on next route?

Well last night the 6.0 took a dump on me running a buddy last night. Car had good oil pressure until i let off at the end of the run then started to drop dramatically so i shut the car off and coasted to the side of the road. Not leaking any fluids but was knocking terribly before shutting down. Motor will still turn over with the key but its so hard that it will not start. Makes a couple cranks and then its done. Curious if you guys have any knowledge from what ive listed if you would think its a bent rod or just spun a bearing?

Also depending on the situation i have two routes i can go at this point and just looking for some opinions. I have a friend that is at SAM in houston, tx and i can get free machine work and wont have to pay for shipping either. However I dont have the funds to do a complete build like i want and the car would be down for quite awhile. Or if just a bearing was spun i could fix the issue and put the motor back together and run it as is. Alternate route would completely change the setup of the car, would be a turbo 408 build.
Old 05-23-2011 | 07:10 AM
On The Tree

My 347 was pretty quiet was #6 rod bearing was starting to let go & then spun really bad.My car was hard to turn over, when it was running wasn,t terribly loud but would shut down as soon as I was off the gas. All my bearing were in bad shape after tear down.Now I have the lq9.You probably need a few rods & a machined crank.