Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Ca Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, the Vortech's have been CARB approved for at least a year, and there is one ATI kit that is CARB legal for Fbodies; the P1SC with 5 psi I think. The rules to be completely legal are they have to use the specified pulley size, but no smog station is going to bust out a tape measure to check.

380-400 with heads/cam and shorties and cats should be no problem at all. I have 320 now on a 98 automatic with just exhaust work. Add an LSX intake, pulley, small cam, ported heads, throttle body - should be good for an easy 70hp.

Last edited by Trojan T/A; 02-26-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojan T/A
Steve, the Vortech's have been CARB approved for at least a year, and there is one ATI kit that is CARB legal for Fbodies; the P1SC with 5 psi I think. The rules to be completely legal are they have to use the specified pulley size, but no smog station is going to bust out a tape measure to check.

380-400 with heads/cam and shorties and cats should be no problem at all. I have 320 now on a 98 automatic with just exhaust work. Add an LSX intake, pulley, small cam, ported heads, throttle body - should be good for an easy 70hp.

Gotcha.. didnt know if they ever got that CARB certification (last I checked ti was the good old 49 state legal thing..)

JRP.. you have an axe to grind with Don Lee's??

I also agree with Terry.. I had ALL the bolt ons and with shorties and a 220 cam I made 380rwhp.. I could have done better with a 224 cam but 20hp better?? Oh, I forgot I had stock heads so maybe 400rwhp wouldnt be too out of the question

If its CARB legal then the best option is F/I.. N20 should work well too
Old 02-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Terry Burger
The largest cam that will pass is maybe 224 duration/114ls, and only if you have good stock cats. Forget about headers as those are illegal too. Basically if you want a smog legal setup in CA expect around 380rwhp with the stock bottom end, or 440rwhp if you spend a ton of money on 400+ci bottom end.
This sounds the most accurate, but why only the stock cats? I thought Random or Carsound cats have the same filtering capability as the stock ones...however I don't know how legal they are technically.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 52172
...plus a intricitley ported Holley intake man that should maximize the setup. The cam specs are somewhat close to 228/228/.590.590/114.
Depending on the total overlap this may be ok. Since it's a custom grind, you can't compare it directly to other off-the-shelf sticks with similar numbers. I have heard 4* of overlap is smog safe, regardless of specs. There's no telling what this has, at various lift and duration points, without measuring.

I'm glad to see you are not skimping on the porting. Port matching everything will go a long way to adding up to great numbers, and stock castings/matchings are notoriously off for lots of things here.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Trojan T/A
There used to be a guy putting down around 540rwhp through JBAs and a Vortech kit in San Diego. His name was Blown Interceptor. He doesnt have the setup anymore, but it's proof that it can be done. It takes a lot of tweaking though with FI to get everything to work right when you are pushing the blower hard.
I know his personally, hell i got the transmission out of that car

he put down I think a best of 552 RWHP at 10 PSI boost and then he got the alcohol injection and better tuning and bumped it up to 13 PSI so I think he may have been pushing 600RWHP all through a completly stock motor, by stock motor I mean stock cam, stock heads, and stock bottom end.

I think if you did a forged bottom end with good flowing heads and a mild blower cam like a 220/224 and some big boost you could hit 700 RWHP and pass with flying colors on the sniffer...