Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another internet myth bites the dust... LS7 vs. LS1 lifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Havoc40
Correct tools, but you need to clamp the part in a v-block to keep it parallel with the indicator. I'll snap a picture in the morning when I'm back at the shop.

Also, make sure the ball bearing is the same size as the stock pushrod tip. That bearing appears much too large. The ball end of the stock pushrod I'm using measures out at .3115". I've measured this 10 times and keep getting the same thing. FWIW, I am using a piece of stock GM pushrod .460" long with both lifters. I am getting overall lengths of 2.7650" and 2.7655"

Shane

Last edited by XtraCajunSS; 06-29-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating guessing pushrod length or not measuring for proper length. I'm just saying that LS7 lifters are a DIRECT replacement for ANY roller lifter GM has used in a small block since 1987.

Shane
correct, anything with a d-bar or trays.

Last edited by Havoc40; 06-29-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1-450
I've never worried about any difference between the two because I always measure for pushrod lengths in my engines. Also, never knew that there was a debate regarding that there may have been a difference. Regardless, most people who post information do so in an effort to help. So, if it has been posted that there was or was not a difference, am sure that the poster had good intentions.

"Internet myth" is a term that I don't like, personally. If someone posts something with good intentions & the information is incorrect, eventually, someone else will correct it & the poster will learn from it. There's really not more to it.
I can appreciate your disdain for that term. What I can tell you is that I answer tech calls ALL DAY LONG from my own customers AND many other shop's customers some of them VERY well known in the LS1 community. My specific area of personal interest in performance engine building is focused on all things valvetrain related. Its just what I like to do. I have corrected countless customers mismatched combinations by diagnosis over the phone and most of these problems are caused by incorrect pushrod length and or improper rocker arm or spring choice or setup. I have had customers ask me how I could possibly know what was wrong with their car before I even saw pictures or before they even had the valve covers off. There are hundreds of members here who could attest to that fact. If you call here and ask what pushrod length you will need in almost every instance on an otherwise stock LS engine, I will give you the proper length the first time. Most customers appreciate that fact since they are trying to get the right parts the FIRST time. My experience is invaluable in this regard.

maybe a better term would be internet mis-information.

Shane
Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

I too alway tell everyone you have to measure no matter what anyone says, on PTV, pushrod lenth, or whatever.

We simply must have different lifters somehow. I dont think there would be a .045" tolerance stackup on a lifter.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

That definitely must be the case. I only even went through this whole exercise because I have installed so many of the same cams with LS7 or LS1 lifters and time after time the preload is the same. I got so tired of hearing that the lifters were different I pulled a few and started checking. I have LS1 lifters from multiple engines and of course nearly an unlimited supply of new LS7 lifters to test.

We do check lifter preload on every install here. When we sell a cam package, we give the customer the pushrod that best fits their stated mods and most of the time we are right on. I can hardly remember the last time I used a pushrod shorter than 7.375". In almost every instance on a stock motor with a cam over .600" lift, the 7.425" pushrod is the proper choice.

Thanks for taking the time to setup your measurments perhaps I'll send you a few lifters to check out for yourself. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We simply must have different lifters somehow. I dont think there would be a .045" tolerance stackup on a lifter.
Being new here, I kind of feel obligated to keep contributing to this. I've been in engineering, manufacturing lifters, for about 11 years now. The dimensions that contribute to O.A.L. add up quickly. Things like axle hole locations, pushrod seat thickness, pushrod seat location, clip groove location, etc. etc. etc. Not saying I like what I'm seeing, these numbers are a little excessive IMO. All I was pointing out is that a +/- .025" (.050 total) extended length is common practice on mass production lifters. Aftermarket manufacturers, like myself, can and will hold tighter tolerances, but at a premium. From my observations, these are still intended to be dimensionally the SAME lifter as every other GM roller.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All I can say is Hmmmmmmm.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
I too alway tell everyone you have to measure no matter what anyone says, on PTV, pushrod lenth, or whatever.

I will throw another interest twist to the discussion. I just replaced the lifters in my LQ9. The lifters looked identical meaning they both looked like the LS7 style fully shrouded lifters. When I bolted it all back together, I measured with the Comp Cams 7702-1 checker and found that I now need a shorter pushrod. In fact your measured difference of .0425" looks about right for my situation too.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

i wonder if there is an unspoken difference in production runs....and if there's even anyway to find out. hmmmmmm.

not that it even matters to me, i am using morel link bar lifters, but this is still a question that needs a definative answer.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a picture is worth 1,000 words, how much is a video worth?

LS2 lifters in this video were removed from my cammed LS2 (25,000 miles cammed), and replaced with LS7 lifters when I installed my LS3 heads. They lasted about 45,000 miles before failing, and taking out the cam with it.

I replaced them with Lunati / Morel Street Hydraulic Link Bar lifters, and since I've seen everyone fussing about this, and don't trust anyone, I measured. Found these differences:

LS2 = shortest
LS7 = LS2 + 0.05"
Morel = LS2 + 0.06"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSnKcxx8GWE
Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

The question is: Does the ls7 lifter have a .050" larger plunger travel or not.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
The question is: Does the ls7 lifter have a .050" larger plunger travel or not.
If GM "techs" are dropping those in as a direct replacement, then they would have to have more travel. Unless you really think they actually check pushrod length.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

One would think so. I have just not heard of anyone actually checking.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
One would think so. I have just not heard of anyone actually checking.
I hate to do this, but LOL.

My best friend has been is GM master tech, and has been working at a Pontiac (now Chevy) dealer for 30 years...I owe him a phone call.

I have the original FSMs for my GTO. I haven't looked, but I'll bet you a 12-pack, it doesn't explain anywhere in the book how to check preload.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Don't forget to line bore your rods after using ARP Rod bolts..
Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
We do check lifter preload on every install here. When we sell a cam package, we give the customer the pushrod that best fits their stated mods and most of the time we are right on. I can hardly remember the last time I used a pushrod shorter than 7.375". In almost every instance on a stock motor with a cam over .600" lift, the 7.425" pushrod is the proper choice.
So does this mean my raptr cam kit I ordered has 7.425 pushrods coming with it? Thanks for the time you've put in with all these measurements just to dispell a myth for the lsx community.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed...

Quick Reply: Another internet myth bites the dust... LS7 vs. LS1 lifters