Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket non adjustable rockers with Comp R's....

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JF WS6
That's pretty much what I was asking earlier, and from what I gather the only reason why you'd want to shim is just because you can do it in smaller increments to get it just right. Changing the pushrod length *may* be too drastic as Spectacle Solutions said "most rods only come in .050" increments."

If you could somehow get the exact length of pushrod you needed to get the right preload that would be ok I think. Shimming is cheaper than buying a whole new set of pushrods anyway.
That makes sense I guess. Small amount of shimming shouldn't hurt anything. If I'm not mistaken, you can have custom length PR's made. I know that's a PITA, but still cheaper than adjustable rockers.

Here is another question, are comp R's really neccessary with most springs? I can see 977's, or real high RPM, but I see a lot of big cam cars spinning 7K out there, what do you guys think..

Dan
Old 02-29-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brian@AP-Engineering
Country boy, a true comp R can be identified by the PRESSED in gold cup and the black oxide coating. The regular comp and factory lifters are held in by a c clip . Pictures can be found here : http://compcams.com/Technical/Catalo...ML/282-283.asp

I can take pics of them here at the shop.

Can you illaberate (sp?!) some more on this?! What black oxide coating. Is the retaining clip black or the lifter body? I was at the shop today and was checking out my lifters and the body is the standard grey. I have some pics....
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket non adjustable rockers with Comp R's....-lifter.jpg   aftermarket non adjustable rockers with Comp R's....-lifter-top.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004, 07:28 AM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

In the second pic, is that a c-clip? If so i do not think those are comp r's. They look like regular comps 850-16's to me.

The black oxide outer coating is usually on the oil band area.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:35 AM

Its not really a c clip, I have another pic, but it sucks. It like a one way clip... hard to explain. They were sold to me as Comp Rs.... Sucks there no part numbers on them...
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket non adjustable rockers with Comp R's....-lifter-clip.jpg