Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It idled good for a bit.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It idled good for a bit.

After no success tuning idle up I got the drill out.I started by opening the hole in the throttle body butterfly 1/16",didn't get but about 50 more RPMs,still wouldn't stay running.Drilled another 1/16",now hole is 1/4',and Idle settled in at about 700-750 rpms. Alright I can live with that,at least till I can get a real tune up,but after a few minutes of driving engine wants to run at 1800 (50 mph) no throttle. This is constant now.When I first start the truck it jumps to 1800 for a few seconds then settles to 700,but any throttle at all and it races to 1800. Has anyone else had this problem ? how did you correct it. Also performance is down, It's hard to believe that that small change in closed air flo could affect so much other than idle.Throttle is closing
all the way,not cracked like fly by wire. Please offer some positive suggestions with the " I told you so"'s
Old 02-27-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote jb weld the hole up, then redrill the hole out. Sounds like the motor was in open loop when you did it and now when in closed loop its not right...let the motor warm up then start the drilling process.

Rich
Old 02-27-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
I vote jb weld the hole up, then redrill the hole out. Sounds like the motor was in open loop when you did it and now when in closed loop its not right...let the motor warm up then start the drilling process.

Rich
Thanks Rich,
I found a junkyard throttlebody that was fly by wire, so it had no hole to begin with,robed the butterfly plate and installed it in my tb. I planned to drill small, and progress till accurate.It worked the best so far without drilling,I'll drive it awhile and see how it works.JB was my plan B.but the factory plate had a hole in it.
The idle adjustments recommended on LS1 tunning seemed backward on mine too, but I'm real slow learning Edit and could have confussed multipliers.