Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low low low almost no oil pressure on new motor start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low low low almost no oil pressure on new motor start up

just got to firing my forged 370ls motor. with the xfi in the car the tune is way off and wont idle but while i was stabbing at the throttle between 2500 and almost stalling the oil pressure would not go above 18 psi. granted i can get the car to run but i would have thought it would stil produce oil pressure. i know for a fact when i assembled it that i put the barbell in and correct cause i forgot it the first time after putting the cover on and had to do it again. i also know for a fact that the oil pump pickup tube gasket is fine as i checked 4 times and also have the billet brace holding it in. what else could i be looking at here? im lost as to why this fresh motor does not make any oil pressure. clearences on the motor were good and the oil pump is a brand new melling high volume and high pressure one. could the machine shop have messed something up or did i miss something or is it since the car is barely running it cant make any pressure? thanks for any direction on this one.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure the gauge is good? How about the seal on the cam retainer plate
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

replaced the cam retainer plate with a new one on this build. im thinking im gonna pop the back oil galley plug just to check yet again for the barbell then im guessing im gonna take teh front cover off and check the freeze plug to make sure thats in cause i dont remember looking for one when i got it back from machine shop. ill also check the oil pump seal for the 5th time if need be if not one of these things then i dont know at this point.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Double roller timing chain and shined oil pump?.... maybe check fine sure your oil pump shims are in right and the pump bolts are tight.

What a pain man, I hope you find it quick
Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

stock melling pump and ls2 single roller chain. im gonna pop out both galley plugs on the side of the block and double check to make sure the barbell is in the one end and a freeze plug is in the other before i take anything apart. ill know more later tonight
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

CHECK THE FRONT OIL GALLEY PLUG!!! it was missing when my friends motor was rebuilt and took us weeks to figure it out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lley-plug.html
Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

ended up being the front oil galley plug was missing...grabbed one from dealer gonna put it in this weekend