Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my block dead???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my block dead???

Well i went on the dyno today for retouching my tune after the new heads(prc ls6 stage 2.5),morel lifter etc etc.

-First run: i made 1 whp more than with stock head...weird smoke and smell(burn smell),we decide to go to the second run to do some test;
-Second run: at around 4200rpm the dipsick pop up and there was oil all over the place,there was also a lot of pressure/smoke coming out of the valley cover(front and rear),we also saw that i lost nearly 65 whp at 4000rpm from the first run...the car doesnt answer really well to throttle now;
-Third run(test run) at 4000rpm it smoke like hell from the valley cover,dipstick pops again,smoke,smell...everything.

No cooling leak,temp stay right a 190degree,idle fine.I did a test and cancel the catch can and pcv valve so there would be no restriction between the crank case and the air intake but it did the same thing...

So to my mind all the new top end put too much pressure on my block that did suffer from heavy piston slap and now it compress in the base...

What are you tought on that...block is shot???
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

I don't know if the block is shot or not... but after seeing the massive problems after the second run, why did you make a 3rd run?

If i seen the dipstick pop out, oil going everywhere and smoke coming out of the engine at any point... I would be tearing it down to the short block seeing what what the problem was and not making anymore runs until i had a damn good answer for what was going on.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
I don't know if the block is shot or not... but after seeing the massive problems after the second run, why did you make a 3rd run?

If i seen the dipstick pop out, oil going everywhere and smoke coming out of the engine at any point... I would be tearing it down to the short block seeing what what the problem was and not making anymore runs until i had a damn good answer for what was going on.
The 2 last run was some test run not heavy wot run up to 6800rpm. We where 3 guys looking on the engine bay while testing on the dyno.The idea was to locate where exactly was the smoke coming from...not trying to make some power.

I ve just bring back the car to my home(5mins from shop) and the car smoke from the exhaust and run like crap...
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

IMO its time to start looking for a replacment shortblock.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Teching In

In a word: yes.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Broken ringland
Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The 2 last run was some test run not heavy wot run up to 6800rpm.
Honestly, if it was me I wouldn't even have let the car idle after the first run, much less run it to 4000rpm. Really dude? You see smoke and lose oil yet you take the car up to 4000...TWICE? That's probably what did you in, the fact that you ran the engine after it smoked and lost oil.

Time to tear the whole thing down, nothing here indicates a healthy running engine.

Your block (literally) might not be dead, but I bet part of the rotating assembly is thrashed.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like u had alot of crank case pressure maybe?? what does the oil pressure look like ?? u might wanna do a leak down test b4 u start tearing stuff apart might not be as bad as u think .....
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ez money
sounds like u had alot of crank case pressure maybe?? what does the oil pressure look like ?? u might wanna do a leak down test b4 u start tearing stuff apart might not be as bad as u think .....
Oil pump was new,so a good 55psi cold and around 40 psi hot at idle.At wot i would get pass the 65psi mark.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The block has nothing to do with excessive crankcase pressure. A busted ringland allowing pressure to get into the crankcase would certainly cause all his havoc or incorrectly hooked up PCV system if you have one).

If the block is trashed its because you have dug into the cylinder wall(s) beyond what a bore or hone will fix, it isnt because of high pressure in the crankcase.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by remauto1187
The block has nothing to do with excessive crankcase pressure. A busted ringland allowing pressure to get into the crankcase would certainly cause all his havoc or incorrectly hooked up PCV system if you have one).

If the block is trashed its because you have dug into the cylinder wall(s) beyond what a bore or hone will fix, it isnt because of high pressure in the crankcase.

Pretty much sums it up. I would bet your block is rebuildable but you have a ringland busted... prolly #7. wanna see my #7 pics????
Attached Thumbnails Is my block dead???-dscn0182.jpg  
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I agree. Lifted ring land. And probably #7. A compression test will tell for sure.

Quick Reply: Is my block dead???