Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

Double check to make sure the seats fit.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lilj, LOL oh believe me i did

ok so i figured i'ld update the thread with some info and pics!

i had a little trouble with figuring out how to measure for pushrods, after a little messing around i found that i hadn't put the rockers/pushrods all the way down in there seat, wiggling while applying a little force to each one sat them down perfectly. it took a consistant 2 1/4- 2 1/2 turn to get the rocker bolt to 22 ft lbs. so my stock 7.400'' pushrods are too long, i ordered a set of 7.350''from scroggin yesterday evening so im hoping thinking they will work. as for everything else its going pretty smooth. i have the springs on the heads and the heads on the car. today i was going to work on the intake manifold (im going to run the ls1 intake until i pass smog then i'll throw the ls6 on) and getting oil and coolant in the car. pretty much i want to have it ready to go so when i get the pushrods all i have to do is check a few and then throw them in and
ima baby the hell out of it for awhile. this will be my first semi-build (i say semi because i didnt put the bottom end together, so thats comforting somewhat, lol) and im a litte nervous.....like the whole things going to crumble to pieces once i start it up or something.........we'll see.

here some pics of what she's looking like so far.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)-my-engine-010.jpg   Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)-my-engine-011.jpg   Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)-my-engine-012.jpg   Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)-my-engine-013.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup make sure your break those springs in properly. Those things should last a while.

Things are looking good. Glad to see someones car is going back together because mine isn't. Atleast I found out my problem though.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Launching!

ok so i have the intake manifold on, and most of the outer assesories are on (the ones that wont get in the way of doing the pushrods anyway)

im running into a little problem though. i just noticed that this car doesnt seem to have some of the AIR system and some of the pcv system connected. im going to rig up a pcv since i know i need a different setup because i changed my valve covers....im not quit sure on how but i'll post on that later........so far i've plugged the brake booster into the back of the intake mani. but i cant find what plugs into the nipple opposite the brake booster nipple. i've been searching online (and then remembered the sticker under the hood) and i've found that its the HVAC vacuum line that connects there....but there isn't anything there??? seems to be a lot of stuff that the previous owner either removed (cause they didnt know what to do with it) or they didnt put it back together correctly after they rebuilt it.

i started a thread in the external section on this matter.

Last edited by ggino85; 10-03-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: cleaned it up, made easier to read.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Launching!

alright.........well i got most of the stuff sorted out... i finished up around 9pm lastnight and i just had to see if she was going to start. if i didnt i wouldve be thinking about it all night and i wouldnt of been able to sleep......anyways i put the key in and she fired up rite away! i was honesty surprised lol.....i only let it run for about a minute.....oil pressure was above 40psi and nothing seemed to be leaking. i shut it down because it was so dark, i couldnt see much.

she sounded like a sewing machine so hopefully its just the lifters not primed up yet. (and not incorrect pushrod lenth).

im going to start her up in a little while and ill post more results..........
Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Launching!

UPDATE....... so she seems to be running good, a little rough but i think the pcm needs to learn fuel trims and what not still (its only had maybe 25 minutes run time). i ran into some small issues after the initial startup, the oil dipstick tube was touching the exhaust manifold, pcv had a small leak and the AIR tube to manifold needed a new gasket. after sorting all those things out i let it idle for ten minutes (probably more like 15) then i took it around the block. it seemed good, it definitely sounds NOT stock. honestly for such a small cam, it sounds pretty crazy. i expected it to be a little more stealthy sounding. im going to try and get a video and post it up soon.

the sewing machine noise seems to have gone away. the only problem im having now is getting the nerve to drive it around more. im still waiting for it to fly apart lol. i think one of my rear tires warped, it went flat while the car was sitting and the car was raised in the front. the tire that went flat was the rear left tire and i think it warped it or somthing with all the wieght from the car on it for so long? (3 months).

im going to try and take it to school monday. we have a smog machine there and i wanna see if the car will pass or fail.....
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's great man. Glad to hear you got it going. Did you heat cycle the springs?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Launching!

thanks lilj! yeah i heat cycled them correctly (i think). i let the car get to operating temp and then shut it down and let it cool off. then run it to operating temp again and let it cool off. i did that about three or four times before i actually took her around the block.....even then i did not take it over 2500 rpm, i pretty much just coasted around the block lol.

i really want to drive it but i still need tags.....its registered, just needs to pass smog. i was going to run it over to this smog shop by my house yesterday but the CEL is on and i cant get it to shut off. im going to have to take it to school tomorrow so i can pull the code, hopefully its nothing big. im going to get that video posted later today.

Quick Reply: Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)