Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some weird noises in 2nd gear...knock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Some weird noises in 2nd gear...knock?

Ok here goes to start off yesterday i did clean my engine bay though i covered up all electronics w/ exception of the coil packs...today i took the car out for the first time and had no problems till after i had driven about 40 miles i finally went wot for the first time since cleaning the engine bay and in 2nd gear i just heard some weird popping noise maybe 4-5 times from say 4000-6000 rpms and i just got out of it tried again in 2nd gear and same crap...so i went home dusted off the ole' autotap and did a 2nd gear log o2's were in the .940-.980 range and i had one instance of knock retard of 1.5 degrees in second gear but in the past ive passed it off for false knock because i did the ole 100 octane mix w/ the same results...so anyone have an opinion of what it is? No codes for misfires, misc KR, and a/f ratio on the rich side if ya ask me.

thanks for any help

Bill
Old 02-29-2004, 10:20 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a miss?
Did you look at the miss fire logs?
Got the OE wires on it?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I cant pinpoint exactly what it feels like to be honest I didnt check the missfire logs...i thought if i checked dtc's it would come up...ive still got the stock plugs & wires though...guess I'll log missfires and see whats up thanks wrencher hopefully that will pinpoint it.

lata
Bill
Old 03-01-2004, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

did a little more testing this morning...in P revving through the range there were no noises, yet still at the top of 1st and second gear only at wot it would make some odd noises...when at 80% throttle still nothing so im still kinda stumped at this point...no misfires occuring during th runs and KR almost non existant.

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-05-2004, 09:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Still need help w/ this issue more testing using autotap showed very little...had some mild misfires on 6 & 8 but only for the first 5 minutes of just cruising speeds when i got to run it up to 90 nothing so i dont think its a top end misfire problem now...so im kinda stumped maybe bad gas? But wouldnt that show more KR than just 1-2 degrees and like previously stated its believed to be false knock because of previous testing..not sure where else to look guys anyone have a clue? No codes being thrown other than some misc o2 sensor codes that can be attributed to my long tubes w/ no sims or tuning...one thing i noticed is the check gauges thing looked like it wanted to flash out of the corner of my eye but didnt kinda weird and hard to explain but it was just a dim flashing when the action started.

Thanks
Bill