Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Cam install...dot to dot

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need help with Cam install...dot to dot

Just finished installing my cam on my car. Using a Roll Master Double Roller as a timing chain...there is only 1 dot on the Crank Gear and 1 dot on the cam gear, there are 9 groves in the crank gear (4* advance/retard). With both gears lined up DOT to DOT (crank gear is in the middle key way #5) and Pistons #1 and #6 at TDC everything appears to be fine. However, I stuck a pushrod in the intake of #1 and rotated the assembly by hand....what I observed is that #1 is on exhaust and that #6 is on compression...is this right???? I thought maybe that #1 should be on Compression when the gears are lined up dot to dot?????

Thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, this threw me off too. #6 is about to fire when they are lined up, not #1. I kept rotating it and watching the pushrod. I kept thinking something was really wrong.

I am sure you can confirm this throught search.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

??? I'm confused
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
??? I'm confused
I had always thought that when the cam and crank gears are at standard (dot to dot) that #1 cylinder should be ATDC on the Compression Stroke....on the LSx #6 ATDC is on the Compression Stroke and #1 is on Overlap....it was really screwing me up Sunday..but it looks like I did it right.....I guess the GM Engineers made it so as long as you align the timing gears DOT to DOT..even a Monkey or Gorilla like me can't screw it up.