Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam Affordability, Power, Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam Affordability, Power, Fuel Economy

I would like to know what heads/cam combo will give me the most output (in hp and torque) while keeping great fuel economy...with a good price tag. Right now I'm looking at AFR 205 Heads

I'm also looking at a turbo setup, so would flowdome pistons be a good option? Do they work with NA motors as well?

How could I tune my turbo LS1 to get higher mpg?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

1st you are going to need to decide if you want the turbo or not, just so you don't buy a good N/A set up just to finally get a turbo and need different h/c. A4 or M6? is this going to be a daily driver, and what do you mean by good MPG? also on the pistons are you looking at forged or cast? sry to bombard you with questions but it is needed
Old 07-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Launching!

If the turbo can help me with more power when I need it, and better fuel economy when I don't, then yes, I want the turbo. Or twin turbos if that will do better. I'm dropping 800 pounds out of an 2000 M6 Trans am.
Forged pistons. Not Reilly a daily driver, more of a Weekly driver
Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

k, well a good turbo set up can put you above a regular H/C/I set up. highest #'s I have seen on a 5.7 H/C/I was 586hp 590trq to the wheels. depending on the Turbo set up you can reach 600+. Cars with around 500hp don't get good MPG. If you want good performance and a nasty top end a turbo is a good way to go, it can be a little more pricey but if you don't plan to amp up the PSI above about 10 or so you can still retain decent mpg and drive ability. 1st thing though is to get rid of the 10bolt rear. Some people get lucky and have em last but for the most part if you put sticky tires on, a good hard launch will break it. most people go with a 12 bolt or Ford 9" some go with a Dana 60, it is the strongest of the 3 but does weigh a bit more. I hope that helped, if you have more questions feel free to ask.