Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam bolts came loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a crack to me! When I first seen the picture and was reading the post I said to myself, what the heck are they talking about when it has a big crack in the lifter bore. You better have somebody look at that. If it is spread open it's a dang crack. And I just noticed something else. The lifter looks like it is cocked in the bore and not straight down. And the roller looks like it is broken off the lifter also. I could be wrong but it looks a little more serious to me than what you think it might be. Good luck and keep us informed.

Last edited by Chicken Coupe; 07-31-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I'm going to pull the intake off and look again in the next couple days. I spoke with a local company that builds engine blocks and they said if the it's smooth then it's a crack and if it's unlevel then it's a casting mark.

From what I understand since the other lifter is completely on the cam lobe it would be hard to see how one lifter would be off the lobe. The photo angle makes it hard to tell and there is really no way of knowing without being there and seeing the block they say. At least this is my understanding from the guy I talked to.

I also hear it can be repaired but I'd assume it would just be easier to get a new block and swap the parts over.

I'm just hoping for the best here.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Restricted User

I wish you luck man
Old 07-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chicken Coupe
Looks like a crack to me! When I first seen the picture and was reading the post I said to myself, what the heck are they talking about when it has a big crack in the lifter bore. You better have somebody look at that. If it is spread open it's a dang crack. And I just noticed something else. The lifter looks like it is cocked in the bore and not straight down. And the roller looks like it is broken off the lifter also. I could be wrong but it looks a little more serious to me than what you think it might be. Good luck and keep us informed.
WTF do you know...................
Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by About2Bite
Yeah I'm going to pull the intake off and look again in the next couple days. I spoke with a local company that builds engine blocks and they said if the it's smooth then it's a crack and if it's unlevel then it's a casting mark.

From what I understand since the other lifter is completely on the cam lobe it would be hard to see how one lifter would be off the lobe. The photo angle makes it hard to tell and there is really no way of knowing without being there and seeing the block they say. At least this is my understanding from the guy I talked to.

I also hear it can be repaired but I'd assume it would just be easier to get a new block and swap the parts over.

I'm just hoping for the best here.
Keep dicking around and you'll make trouble for sure..............
Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by O2Form
Keep dicking around and you'll make trouble for sure..............
How are you so confident the block is fine? I want to think it is but there are a number of people saying it's cracked. I don't remember thinking anything was out of place when I pulled the valley cover off to look the first time.

I plan on taking another look to see what the lifter looks like, if it's on the lobe, which I would think it would be I'll be a little more comfortable retorquing the cam bolts and running the car.

I plan on fixing the problem with the cam and driving it. Just sucks hearing something that I initally though was a simple fix could turn into an expensive nightmare

Trust me I want to think you're right, I've just had multiple people say "yep, it's cracked" which I guess is easy for someone to say who knows nothing about a motor looking at the pics on their computer screen. This is Corvetteforum guys saying it's a cracked block as well as the ones who initally pointed out the flaws.

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it

Originally Posted by z99ls1
I wish you luck man
Thanks I'll have it up and running by the end of the week... And hopefully it stays running
Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ouch. The comp kit comes with new bolts, but yeah i've heard of them breaking off in the cam. That sucks, were you able to get the bolt out?
Ya luckily it didnt snap off all the way in and got it out with just a pair of liers and being real careful at first i thought I stripped the cam out until I pulled the bolt and saw they were ok.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

block's fine

O2form you are correct sir...
Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

That area that looks like a crack is actually the jagged edge of the window, there is not a crack at all on the lifter bore. The lifter is riding completely on the cam lobe just on the edge like the lifter to the left is.

What a relief, now to get this thing all back together so I can enjoy this T-Rex cam!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Hey thats great, I can see how most people woooood mistake that for a problem. In the future just accept my diagnosis and move on, I woooooood never post up info I wasn't 99.9% sure of.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the correct guidance! I got the cam bolts retightened and am now in the process of putting everything back together. Two of the bolts cam out a few threads and the other was barely tight at all.

My recommendation would be to use ARP bolts bc this comp plate wasn't as great as I had anticipated.

Hopefully I can get the majority of the work done tomorrow morning and have it running by the end of Wednesday.

What a pain, I guess it could have been worse though, my motor is still in one piece.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Teching In

My recommendation would be to use ARP bolts bc this comp plate wasn't as great as I had anticipated.
Is that the Comp cams cam bolt retainer plate you are referring to? Didn't work?

Last edited by Warren S; 08-02-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

No it worked, just not as well as I had hoped. If I was going to do it again I'd just buy the ARP bolts and put a good amount of thread locker on them.

The tabs were a pain. Once tightening the bolts you can't get even the thinnest flat head screwdriver under them. If they were pre-bent a little that would have made it 100x nicer.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Well the cam bolts are tightened and the car is back together, just changing the oil now and going to fire her up.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Restricted User

Well the cam bolts are tightened and the car is back together, just changing the oil now and going to fire her up.
Awesome let us know how it goes!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

It's all back together, just took it out for a ride and everything looks good. Oil pressure is there and no check engine light. Now to get the final tune in and see what she's got!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Restricted User

It's all back together, just took it out for a ride and everything looks good. Oil pressure is there and no check engine light. Now to get the final tune in and see what she's got!
Awesome!!!

Quick Reply: Cam bolts came loose