Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Stg 3 LS6/6.0L first shot off CNC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004 | 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Reckless
You didn't answer my question Brian Do you have to move the guides to fit a 2.08 or 2.10 valve? Nice work BTW
Sorry, I didn't want to answer it until I had the chance to measure the distance between the valves vs others heads here in the shop, cause I knew that would be the next question.

No, we do not move the guides, there is .060" between the 2.10 intake and the 1.60 exhaust valves, which happens to be more distance then half of the other types of heads (non LSx) that I have in my shop right now.

Thanks for the complement, it has been a long, hard road to finally get this LSx stuff to be where our Ford stuff has been for years, now to achieve 350 on a 4.030" bore

Whats your next combo going to be Reckless??
Old 03-04-2004 | 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I would love to see a set of those TEA heads shrunk down .030, with a big cam(240/248) and high compression(12.5:1). That would be a sick street setup.
Phillip
Send me some LS6 castings and we'll "get er done", you can borrow my piston notching tool.

No *****, no blue chips (my favorite poker saying)

We have a similar combo going together, but the cam is a "little" bigger then that, on a 110 of course, stock shortblock.
Old 03-05-2004 | 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info Brian. Not sure about the next combo. Right now the plan is to go to work at Wheel to Wheel in Detroit and just learn lots over the next year. I am retiring from the USAF this June. Kurt has offered me a position there and I am really excited about it. We will be testing a lot of LS1 cominations up there, and I believe he really wants to focus on forced induction (primarily turbo) applications. I thought he said he bought some heads from TEA for testing also. Eventually, I will have a turbo car for the track. Not sure about the street. Maybe a turbo GTO? Look for some cool stuff to come out of that shop in the months to come
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brian- out of curiosity, what is the intake port volume??

I'm not trying to be insulting or downplay your accomplishment here, but I'm sure that we all realize that seeing those kinds of flow numbers out of a 300cc (for example; I'm NOT saying that your ports are this big) port wouldn't be as impressive as if we were talking about a 230-240cc port. Do you see what I am saying??

The thing about the AFR's (that Tony Mamo touches on occasionally, and few folks on this board seem to pay much heed to) is that they are (supposedly; I don't know anything that you folks don't) HIGH velocity heads. That being said, while the flow numbers on them may not be just super-duper out-of-this-world light-years-ahead of what worked factory castings are capable of, they do seem to be achieving some damned impressive flow numbers in light of the size of the port. Obviously, this means that we're talking about some pretty serious port velocity here.

Your new heads are (obviously) oriented towards the iron block/sleeved block crowd (since it seems that they won't work on a 3.9" bore due to the large intake valve) while the AFR 205's seem more oriented towards the stock LS1 block crowd (read: your new heads would be used on larger displacement motors, and could therefore get away with a larger port).

Like I said... I'm not trying to **** in your Cheerios here, just trying to get all of the relevant inforamtion.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Burnout, the intake runner is less than 230cc High velocity, high flow.....
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Burnout, the intake runner is less than 230cc High velocity, high flow.....
No $#!+?? Now THAT'S impressive.
Old 03-05-2004 | 05:08 PM
Banned

Extreemly impressive.
Looks like TEA is TEAring up the competion.
Old 03-05-2004 | 06:43 PM
Launching!

This port today just flowed 346@.600" as I saw it with my own eyes.
Old 03-05-2004 | 07:02 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Send me some LS6 castings and we'll "get er done", you can borrow my piston notching tool.

No *****, no blue chips (my favorite poker saying)

We have a similar combo going together, but the cam is a "little" bigger then that, on a 110 of course, stock shortblock.
Man, you guys just know who's button to push. Let me see if I can dig up some LS6 heads. Can you guys weld/reshape the chambers also?
Phillip
Old 03-05-2004 | 07:02 PM
Launching!

It seems to me that the porting isnt that critical with these heads... just whack in some fat valves and viola you get high flow numbers. I think it would be interesting to see flow numbers on a completely stock head with the same size (2.1/1.6), hogged out inserts and a 5 angle valve job.

I am thinking of doing the above with 2.05 intake / 1.6 exhaust and home porting (basically just cleaning up the runners).
Old 03-05-2004 | 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BurnOut
Brian- out of curiosity, what is the intake port volume??

I'm not trying to be insulting or downplay your accomplishment here, but I'm sure that we all realize that seeing those kinds of flow numbers out of a 300cc (for example; I'm NOT saying that your ports are this big) port wouldn't be as impressive as if we were talking about a 230-240cc port. Do you see what I am saying??

The thing about the AFR's (that Tony Mamo touches on occasionally, and few folks on this board seem to pay much heed to) is that they are (supposedly; I don't know anything that you folks don't) HIGH velocity heads. That being said, while the flow numbers on them may not be just super-duper out-of-this-world light-years-ahead of what worked factory castings are capable of, they do seem to be achieving some damned impressive flow numbers in light of the size of the port. Obviously, this means that we're talking about some pretty serious port velocity here.

Your new heads are (obviously) oriented towards the iron block/sleeved block crowd (since it seems that they won't work on a 3.9" bore due to the large intake valve) while the AFR 205's seem more oriented towards the stock LS1 block crowd (read: your new heads would be used on larger displacement motors, and could therefore get away with a larger port).

Like I said... I'm not trying to **** in your Cheerios here, just trying to get all of the relevant inforamtion.
Well, shockingly enough, this is not the only CNC program we have. Now I know that AFR may someday have 2 or 3, and thats great, but what this post is about is our latest big bore flow numbers for anyone that may be interested. We have Stg 2, Stg 2.5, Stg 3 ports, 3.90 bore chambers, 4.00 bore chambers, 4.125 bore chambers, forced induction chambers, standard exhaust ports, nitrous exhaust ports, etc., and can do any combination of these ports and chambers for any application.

We just recently competed in a dyno shootout of 200-225 cc Ford heads on a 427 engine that was featured in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. And the CNC ported and hand finished heads that we sent in outpowered all comers, including AFR, even with our heads having 3/4 of point less compression. Not surprising is that our heads SHOULD outpower a head that is simply CNC'd and shipped out the door. If you think that AFR, and I am saying this as an AFR dealer, that anything they make can't be outpowered by a properly CNC ported and hand finished head then you are little lost when it comes to the big world of cylinder head flow and power making. Not to **** in your cherrios of course.
Old 03-05-2004 | 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by c5blkvette
It seems to me that the porting isnt that critical with these heads... just whack in some fat valves and viola you get high flow numbers. I think it would be interesting to see flow numbers on a completely stock head with the same size (2.1/1.6), hogged out inserts and a 5 angle valve job.

I am thinking of doing the above with 2.05 intake / 1.6 exhaust and home porting (basically just cleaning up the runners).
LOL, I say go for it! If you can get it to flow better then 280, then you will be a step above half of the current head porters in the LS1 world, that do it professionally. With that being said, what do you think the chances of you outflowing, for example, some LPE heads that the guy had $2500 in and flowed 270 on my bench??
Old 03-05-2004 | 08:40 PM
Teching In

Brian do you have the small cross section in your new cylinder head? If so then where is it at. If you don't have the cross section on your new head then what about your other ones. Thanks

Donovan
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:16 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

The head package is in the $2000-$2200 range and the new 6.0L castings are $400,
That is an awesome price Brian What exactly is included with the package?
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, shockingly enough, this is not the only CNC program we have. Now I know that AFR may someday have 2 or 3, and thats great, but what this post is about is our latest big bore flow numbers for anyone that may be interested. We have Stg 2, Stg 2.5, Stg 3 ports, 3.90 bore chambers, 4.00 bore chambers, 4.125 bore chambers, forced induction chambers, standard exhaust ports, nitrous exhaust ports, etc., and can do any combination of these ports and chambers for any application.

We just recently competed in a dyno shootout of 200-225 cc Ford heads on a 427 engine that was featured in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. And the CNC ported and hand finished heads that we sent in outpowered all comers, including AFR, even with our heads having 3/4 of point less compression. Not surprising is that our heads SHOULD outpower a head that is simply CNC'd and shipped out the door. If you think that AFR, and I am saying this as an AFR dealer, that anything they make can't be outpowered by a properly CNC ported and hand finished head then you are little lost when it comes to the big world of cylinder head flow and power making. Not to **** in your cherrios of course.
Brian- I understand all of that... the only point that I was making was that comparing these heads to the AFR's (the 205's anyhow) is apples and oranges, as the heads are directed at different applications.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to downplay your accomplishment at all... just trying to find out when would be the right time to use your new head/port.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BurnOut
Brian- I understand all of that... the only point that I was making was that comparing these heads to the AFR's (the 205's anyhow) is apples and oranges, as the heads are directed at different applications.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to downplay your accomplishment at all... just trying to find out when would be the right time to use your new head/port.
The right time would be now

My TEA 2.5 LS6 heads arrived today. All I can is SWEET!!!

I've seen a lot of cylinder heads and the TEA 2.5 LS6 head is a jewel! These are for a 3.9 bore and the 4.125 bore heads little brother so to speak. Peak was 320+ cfm @ .600, I can't remember the other numbers off the top of my head but at highest lift they flowed ~335+ It's late and I'm sleepy or I'd post mroe ifno.

Brian, Brent, Michael & Donna thank you!
Old 03-06-2004 | 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awsome work. Props to Brian, Brent, Mike and the rest of the crew at TEA. Please quit posting stuff like this, I promised my wife I wouldn't spend any more money on my car this year.

Bruce
Old 03-06-2004 | 10:46 PM
Launching!

LOL, I say go for it! If you can get it to flow better then 280, then you will be a step above half of the current head porters in the LS1 world, that do it professionally. With that being said, what do you think the chances of you outflowing, for example, some LPE heads that the guy had $2500 in and flowed 270 on my bench??
I would love to get CNC heads but just cant afford it right now (the new C5 blew the budget)...thats why I am just thinking of cam, big valves (ie. improve the biggest restrictor)...and tidy up the runners while the heads are off. Anyway, I think it is a step in the right direction.
Old 06-24-2004 | 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brian Tooley

Is it possible to set these heads up with a 76cc chamber and if so would the flow numbers be the same, better or worse in your opinion. Also is is my understanding that this is the 6.0 head, not the LS6 head.

I have finished my 427, and do not want to mess with the bottom end again to adjust the compression. Right now I have the LS6 heads with a 73cc chamber. Rod is 6.100 and piston has -20cc dish. CR with gasket is around 9.7 to 1

Thanks
Old 06-24-2004 | 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, these would be pimp on my 427 (4.125" bore).

I need to find some bare LS6 castings.