Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivability Issues on 5.3L CANT FIGURE IT OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drivability Issues on 5.3L CANT FIGURE IT OUT!!!

My daily driver...03 GMC Sierra Z71 with the T-code 5.3(non Flex Fuel). It first threw a code that said Injector circuit malfunction, So I replaced the Injectors, after checking the fuses and Putting a noid-light on the injector plugs to make sure hey are pulsing. That made it run a little better, however it still had a bad miss. So I plugged my code reader in again and it shot up the code for mass/air circuit bellow performance standards...so I put a mass air on it. It is still throwing up a random/multiple cylinder miss-fire...I have changed the plugs, thew the coils off of my camaro on there the MSD ones and it changed nothing and pulled boots while it was running and they all arced. I cant figure it out...so far I have replaced and or have tested these parts to make sure they are working...

Changed Mass/Air sensor
Changed Spark Plugs
Tested Coils
Tested Fuel Pressure idles at 50psi and goes to about 70-75psi by 4000rpm in park.
Changed Fuel Filter
Changed Air Filter

It is hesitating to rev up when I give it gas and it slowly and roughly climbes its way up...it has been throwing codes about the cats being below threshold. Is there some thing I'm missing? or haven't checked?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have pretty much covered all the bases. I'd cut the cats out and straight pipe it just to see if its the cats. If so buy new ones before your next smog check if you have them.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
My daily driver...03 GMC Sierra Z71 with the T-code 5.3(non Flex Fuel). It first threw a code that said Injector circuit malfunction, So I replaced the Injectors, after checking the fuses and Putting a noid-light on the injector plugs to make sure hey are pulsing. That made it run a little better, however it still had a bad miss. So I plugged my code reader in again and it shot up the code for mass/air circuit bellow performance standards...so I put a mass air on it. It is still throwing up a random/multiple cylinder miss-fire...I have changed the plugs, thew the coils off of my camaro on there the MSD ones and it changed nothing and pulled boots while it was running and they all arced. I cant figure it out...so far I have replaced and or have tested these parts to make sure they are working...

Changed Mass/Air sensor
Changed Spark Plugs
Tested Coils
Tested Fuel Pressure idles at 50psi and goes to about 70-75psi by 4000rpm in park.
Changed Fuel Filter
Changed Air Filter

It is hesitating to rev up when I give it gas and it slowly and roughly climbes its way up...it has been throwing codes about the cats being below threshold. Is there some thing I'm missing? or haven't checked?
Check for a vacuum leak. And, is this a Drive by wire motor? Remove the front o2 sensors also and check to make sure the cats are not stopped up. Engines are air pumps. If it cant get the exhaust out as fast as it comes in it will cause excessive back pressure and will throw a maf code and wont
run for crap. Just remove them O2's and see if it revs up better. You may even have to break the exhaust loose a little before the cats and try it. You'll probably find your problem.

Last edited by Chicken Coupe; 07-30-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I'll Check the Cats now then.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

The last time I had a 5.3 drive me nuts I had all fueling data within paramaters and still could not get it to run right, it ended up being bad gas, I hadn't seen someone get bad gas in so many years that I ended up chasing my *** for 2 days on that truck.

If you think you have a vaccum leak that will be real easy to tell by watching the STFT. Does your scanner have data stream capability?

And I am completely pulling this out of my ***, but have you checked the crank sensor? If it is freaking out then so will your spark/fuel. I would give the wiring a good look over. You may even pick up a crank sensor and try it, if it doesn't help, clean it and take it back. Try disconnecting the cam sensor and see if it will run without signal, it can also cause ignition and fueling events to go haywire. I used to diag MAF sensors by seeing if the engine ran better with them disconnected. If the sensor is sending a incorrect signal it will cause the engine to run worse than no signal, this is because if the signal is missing the PCM will substitute a value in its place based off of other data.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-30-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

I took the O2's out before the cats and it runs like a raped ape! Thanks Guys!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Good deal . Now you know what it will take to fix it.