Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about MTI's 2E heads, and Stealth 2 cam?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about MTI's 2E heads, and Stealth 2 cam?????

I figured there is probably going to be a slim chance in hell that someone has the same combo, but I have to ask before I call and bother MTI.

I have a 99' C5 FRC, M6 with 4.10's, different catback.... but otherwise stock. My options consist of spending $5k on a procharger setup, and the tuner has been getting 460rwhp consistently off of a very conservative tune, and low boost. Or the other option is MTI's 2E heads and stealth 2 cam, I know everyone is going to say put in a bigger cam.... I want it to still sound stock and drive like stock... My last car was a pita, and I am not repeating the same mistakes. Has anyone done this package and got 400 rwhp, KEY being here STOCK manifolds and cats? With the parts, install, and tuning... it will be right at $3500. I know the story of stock manifolds to, so I don't need that lecture either.... I am just seeing if anyone else has the same package!?!? I have a few years left of college, and I don't know exactly where I am moving afterwards.... so I would rather not have to mess with reinstalling emission equipment within the next 2-3 years. I am trying to decide whether to spend the extra $1500 for a procharger vs. having maybe 70 hp less and saving money...
Old 03-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98UltraZ
I am trying to decide whether to spend the extra $1500 for a procharger vs. having maybe 70 hp less and saving money...
No help, unfortunately, but this is exactly the decision I'm faced with, except that I'd be going with a Vortech instead

I think my only note would be that getting to 400rwhp is tough on stock manifolds. I believe jmX got very close, but I can't recall if he had a completely stock exhaust, or FLP's and a stock C5 catback. He had a TR227 cam, IIRC, so it wouldn't be as tame as a Stealth II.

Lurking for some input from other folks

-Jake
Old 03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm making 405rwhp with MTI's Stealth I cam & stage 1 LS1 heads, but I have FLP headers, FLP Hi-Flow Cats, X-Pipe, & Z06 Ti mufflers. I have since added an LS6 intake & an air-bridge and have not had it re-tuned, it should pull even higher numbers now.

If you could hear my car, you would not be worried about stock manifolds, exhaust. My car sounds so stock it's freaky and I just passed emissions test here in Houston with this setup.

I don't think you can get much more than 370-380rwhp with what your contemplating. You could follow your path and see how close you get and then add headers/hi-flow cats & catback to get you the rest of the way.

I don't think the stock exhaust on a C5 will ever support 400rwhp NA unless it was a honking bigass cam which you don't want anyway. That's my .02!

Randy
Old 03-03-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sent you a PM
Old 03-03-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input guys!!! I know the stock exhaust is a huge restriction, but if I get headers... LG's are $1500 for the offroad version or $2k for the cat setup, and I will need them anyways for the procharger to put down that much hp also. I am not concerned about being "stock" quiet... I have the borla stinger now, but it is not very loud at all.... If it was only a little louder than now, no big deal at all.... I know it is not much work to change out the exhaust, but I was curious if anyone had made that much hp with stock manifolds.... I have had heads/cam LS1's before in my old f-body's, but I want something that sounds stock and functions like stock....vs. two footing every stop sign, surging, dieing, etc.. Don't get me wrong... I love how cammed cars sound, but I just want mine to sound stock.... but have the extra HP and torque... Looks like either way is going to be around $5k, procharger and tuning, and headers... I guess will be closer to $7k, so I guess it is saving $2k and have 60 hp or so less.... decisions....decisions.......

Thanks for the PM Mike!!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do the supercharger if you got the money
Old 03-03-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe reverse split of the Stealth2 cam requires a VERY good flowing exhaust. That's the whole idea - have an excellent exhaust system & low exhaust duration.

If you want to run stock manifolds, common sense tells me you'd be better off with a traditional split - f.e. Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam or, I don't know.. Cartec 218/222 perhaps?