Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve springs too stiff?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default valve springs too stiff?

Have any you guys ever seen factory pushrods get bent on engine fire up...due to aftermarket valve springs? Sounds kind of far fetched to me...
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't sound right to me either unless someone reved it to 7k lol
Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not because of spring pressure....but if clearance was too tight (install error on camshaft or too much milling, etc) it is not uncommon to see them bent quickly!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Not because of spring pressure....but if clearance was too tight (install error on camshaft or too much milling, etc) it is not uncommon to see them bent quickly!
Does there have to be a piston / valve collision for a PR to get bent?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironembraced
Does there have to be a piston / valve collision for a PR to get bent?
No, the retainer could be crashing into the valve guide...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spring being compressed to coil bind will kill pushrods in a hurry, but this only happens when one hasn't measured installed height and checked the valve lift number. In other words, the installer was an idiot.

Piston-valve impact will also kill a pushrod quickly. Again, idiot installation required for this to happen. Too much cam lobe duration, or too long pushrods, both are avoidable errors.

Valve seized due to valve guide clearance way too tight is rare but could happen.

Rocker trunion binding...maybe?

Basically something has to be interfering with valvetrain motion in order for a pushrod to fail at startup.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio
Spring being compressed to coil bind will kill pushrods in a hurry, but this only happens when one hasn't measured installed height and checked the valve lift number. In other words, the installer was an idiot.

Piston-valve impact will also kill a pushrod quickly. Again, idiot installation required for this to happen. Too much cam lobe duration, or too long pushrods, both are avoidable errors.

Valve seized due to valve guide clearance way too tight is rare but could happen.

Basically something has to be interfering with valvetrain motion in order for a pushrod to fail at startup.

I know it's not valve clearance, my heads have not been milled very much at all and my cam lift is .600.

But as far as the installer being an idiot, you got that part right . Originally the rockers were tightened way too tight, and there was a couple of coilpacks that somehow died during the engine swap.

Man. I could have sworn he told me he forgot to install some of the retainers, I didn't even know what a retainer was until earlier today so I am not completely sure. I know he said he neglected to insert something into the pushrods or springs, I just can't remember what he said it was.

I got the engine basically for free, but it wasn't worth it, because these problems never end.

Last edited by Ironembraced; 08-12-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio

The cam itself shouldn't be an issue (unless it's a tooth off). I called Comp Cams myself and they told me the cam I have was an exellent cam for the LQ4. And the original pushrods were from the factory so that's probably not the issue.

The springs could possibly be the wrong size for the application... maybe?

I am putting my money on a botched install though... just glad the gaskets and head bolts are not coming out of my checkbook.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironembraced
I know it's not valve clearance, my heads have not been milled very much at all and my cam lift is .600.

But as far as the installer being an idiot, you got that part right . Originally the rockers were tightened way too tight, and there was a couple of coilpacks that somehow died during the engine swap.

Man. I could have sworn he told me he forgot to install some of the retainers, I didn't even know what a retainer was until earlier today so I am not completely sure. I know he said he neglected to insert something into the pushrods or springs, I just can't remember what he said it was.

I got the engine basically for free, but it wasn't worth it, because these problems never end.
Ur really letting someone work on ur car that is leaving crusial parts of the motor out? Whoever is working on ur car is ******* stupid if thats the case. If he is forgetting to put the important parts in than im sure he isn't puttint the parts in right that he did put in. Your installer is why your motor is getting trashed. Let them work on it and you might as well buy a new motor.

Quick Reply: valve springs too stiff?