Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 blew - need short block - what is my best option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want something similar to your get a ls1 short block or if you want more power go 370
Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Ah, now you're talking! Up to now, I've been (somewhat clumsily) attempting to get to a Lingenfelter vs. the rest comparison. If they have an excellent reputation, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

I don't think I'll have a real warranty, but risks are reduced with a brand new blueprinted block with brand new forged rods and pistons.

Still, if someone has a deal on a low-mile used LS1/6 block, I'm all ears!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Teching In

sebdavid, did you go with the Lingenfelter and if you did are you happy with it?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nwsquire
sebdavid, did you go with the Lingenfelter and if you did are you happy with it?
I did. I'm happy with it now, but initially it was a pain.

When it was first installed (remember, it was a complete short block, brand new, blueprinted and with forged rotating assembly already in it), we were getting huge blowby, enough to pop the oil dipstick out the crankcase pressure was so high.

After investigating a few things, and trying a few fixes without success, the shop did a leakdown test (after I asked...) and one cylinder was waaay out of spec. Rings were changed and since then, blowby has been reasonable.

I have had a lot of oil analysis done by Blackstone and now that everything is settled, wear seems very good. I am getting low oil pressure according to the OEM gauge, however. I have a high-volume pump and getting a steady 30-40psi under WOT throttle depending on heat. Oil temp goes up to about 240-250 and that's when pressure dips to the 30-35 range. I'm a bit concerned and we'll look into that.

With the bolt-ons and a very conservative tune, it's making 410whp.

It's worth noting that the shop was left to foot the bill for the work + parts when they had to redo the rings. I certainly wasn't going to pay for it, and Lingenfelter didn't stand behind their product, telling us it was a problem of installation (couldn't be as just bolt-ons went on the engine) or break-in (I followed a strict break-in procedure). They were not up to their reputation, nor was their product. It's all in the past now but I would not do business with them again, and I don't think the shop will, either.

Apparently it wasn't like that "in the old days" when John Lingenfelter was still around.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you boned the "very reputable" shop that was taking care of you? Nice.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Selling my cammed ls1 motor that makes 400 at the wheels if you're interested.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy thread revival Batman!!!

But maybe OP you should have gone with TSP. It seems it was blatantly obvious that the "premium" price you paid for the Lingenfelter reputation and warranty wasn't worth it, nor was the shortblock blueprinted and all that jazz that TSP does on every block.

I'm willing to bet that Lingenfelter only does a quality inspection on a batch of blocks.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

i would hunt down another used ls6 shortblock and reuse your crank just have it cleaned up and inspected and throw some forged rods of your choice in and some 11:1 pistons with valve reliefs of your choice. just my .02 though. im in the process of rebuilding my ls1 shortblock with a manley 383 11:1 stroker
Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
So you boned the "very reputable" shop that was taking care of you? Nice.
I'm not sure what you mean. Following their advice, I paid good money for a new block and had them do all the work from day one. Are you saying I should be responsible when something goes wrong through no fault of my own? It's not like I over revved the engine or didn't follow break-in procedure!

Having spent many thousands of dollars with them, not mentioning the time to drive all the way there (6 hours) and back several times, I'd like to think I'm a pretty good customer, in fact.

Lingenfelter in this case should be held responsible as they are the ones who provided the short block with rotating assembly, including the loose/faulty rings. The shop was pretty angry at them...
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
But maybe OP you should have gone with TSP. It seems it was blatantly obvious that the "premium" price you paid for the Lingenfelter reputation and warranty wasn't worth it, nor was the shortblock blueprinted and all that jazz that TSP does on every block.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but you're right. And there was in fact no warranty from Lingenfelter, the shop covered it. After a lot of trial and error, back-and-forth, traveling and expenses for everybody including myself.

Quick Reply: LS6 blew - need short block - what is my best option?