Sponsored by:

Low Oil pressure EPIC pursuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
Erik,

Do you often see issues with the 2, 3, or 4 cam bearing?
My motor is having the exact same issue as the OP but has been in for ~4 years. General inspection shows that the front and rear haven't moved but will need a scope to see the middle ones.

Also, have you ever seen any oil pickup tube clearance issue causing this problem? Lastly, would anything beneath the rear engine cover cause this oil pressure issue?

Thanks for your time...
-Chris
No not really. We have never had a cam bearing issue here so far in about 2000 engines. We do like I said need to sometimes have cams turned down so they have enough clearance.

A lot of time cams are bent in shipping and people don't realize and just bang them in. We put them on a v-block if they feel the slightest bit weird and also do have to get them straightened every once in a while and/or turned down a wee bit.

Depending on how a cam is bent it might be tearing up the middle bearings too though.

If you really check everything and you have adequate clearance and no burrs and the cam goes in and spins nice I have never seen a problem unless the oil holes in the cam bearings aren't lined up or something ridiculous like that.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Erik,
I'll inspect the cam bearings with a scope and even to cam to see if I have any burs or anything.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

I had an oil pressure problem with a junkyard motor I bought. After install it first started with cold idle around 40psi oil pressure, then once it was warm it had around 15psi pressure. It was like this for 2 weeks after install until one day it lost oil pressure after a wide open stretch on the street. Changed the oil and it had around 5psi idle and 10psi at 2500rpms. I changed oil pumps: nothing changed. After letting it run for a minute I changed the oil to find lots of metal shavings. The motor never made any odd noises and idled perfectly normal.

When I tore the motor down I could not get the cam out of the engine. The cam bearing had walked forward and the cam lobe had milled off 1/3 of the cam bearing width. When I pulled the cam the #3 cam bearing came out with it. I have to break it in half to get it off the cam. Here is a pic of the carnage that was once a cam bearing. Oh and the cam that was in the motor I am currently reusing after having the motor rebuilt. I sent it back to comp cams for inspection and they said it was perfect so they micropolished it and sent it back.

Last edited by b_evans06; 09-15-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 AM
9 Second Club

Damn! That sucks! Ive just had too much going on lately to even touch mine. Im going to try and mess with it in the next few days after work if I can get a little spare time.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 AM
9 Second Club

I know its an old thread. But found my issue a few weeks ago. New cam bearing had walked forward. It actually had got into the lifter, since it walked so far. Ill try and get a pic up for yall. Best advice I have for new builds is INSPECT the cam bearings before it goes to the machine shop. If they look good, DONT change them. Mine had only last about 6-8 hours before oil pressure dropped.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man alot of cam bearing issues in here. When I had my motor built I had my machinist install new Clevite cam bearings for me. He's an old SBC guy but he must have done something right. Hate to hear about all these problems though.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, that's a bummer...

why are the cam bearings walking/spinning, are their diemsion(s) incorrect...?

Quick Reply: Low Oil pressure EPIC pursuit