Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help lq4 swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help lq4 swap issues

Ok. I just finished an LQ4 swap into my 2002 Trans Am WS6. I'm now having a problem with oil pressure. When I first start it up, everything seems fine. After the engine completely warms up, the oil pressure begins to drop a little. As long as it just sits there at idol, oil pressure will remain steady but a little low. But if I drive it, I start hearing a ticking noise after about 5 min. Once the ticking starts, the oil pressure will drop even more. If I continue to let it run, it will drop to the red line and engine temp begins to climb to over 210 degrees. I know it's not the cam bearings because I just replaced them. I rebuilt this engine and replaced all bearings and seals. The only thing that I can make any sense of is the oil pump. I reused the oil pump out of the old ls1 which only had 86k on it. Is it possible that the oil pump just isn't good enough for the 6.0l LQ4? or could there be something else? Any info would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only experience I have had with oiling issues is in my 2007 2500 GMC work truck with a 6.0L, Pulled into the yard to load up the guys and supplies, started truck and zero oil pressure. truck had 96k on it at the time. No warning signs, At least nothing out of the ordinary. Had a new pump installed and its been running fine, has 122k on it now, was the weirdest thing and a bit inconvenient, but no major damage.

Quick Reply: Help lq4 swap issues