Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afr 205 Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I am stupid for asking this, but why on gods green earth would AFR sell heads "complete" with a valve train that only handles .550 lift??? What other company that sells heads, sells them with such weak springs? What are the retainers like? Are the pushrods even hardened?

Am I the only one wondering this??
Old 03-12-2004 | 10:54 PM
Launching!

.550 is it?
Old 03-12-2004 | 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by H82BBad
the least expensive one.If they made the same amount of tq/hp.What would be the point in choosing the smaller port if power and tq were the same? .
So your price shopping...I hear Wal Mart is having a sale on LS-1 stuff you might want to check it out. My motto, "don't be afraid to buy the best, you will rarely be disappointed". Sometimes that means I have to save a little longer rather than settle for something cheaper. On the power/trq question....Dynos don't always tell the whole story. It has been proven time and time again over the years "bigger is not necessarily better". I'll take the small ports and the wicked acceleration.

Originally Posted by H82BBad
Nice that you point out how not to let some members of our community get Tony down..........with your 2 post count's I can see you are real active at the community functions.
I apologize for my low post count. I've only been here a few days. I guess that makes me a "ROOKIE". I have a new Vette on order so I thought I would look around to find the best Gen 3 LS forum. I am a member of many other forums of varying interests and have all too often seen a manufacturer try to participate and offer up information that would other wise not be available to the forum community...only to be attacked or ridiculed by a select group of "POST ******" that have a hidden agenda or loyalty to a different manufacturer on the same forum. Ultimately the manufacturers go elsewhere and the forum community loses out. I would hate to see that happen here. If I am wrong about "your" intentions then please accept my apology.

Reading once again between the lines of Mr. Mamo's post....I can't see where he has anything to gain by posting comparative results to TEA...one of his "dealers". This would only serve to sour a business relationship that currently exists between them. Sure a company like AFR could make a few more direct sales but ultimately it would violate the whole concept of a distibutor network which benefits both manufacturer and distributor. I prefer a company like TEA or AFR to tell me why I should buy "their" product not why I shouldn't buy their competitors. See the difference?

Magazine shoot out articles are the perfect place for comparative results. Write the editor of your favorite magazine and demand he do a shoot out so that you can see one on one comparatve results. Then you can wait to be spoon fed the results rather than using your brain and making up your own mind. Meanwhile I'll be out breaking the hearts of Cobra owners.

Once again my apologies to those I have offended...but after all aren't these forums all about the sharing of opinions.... information and experiences?

Stepping down from soap box.
Putting on flame retardent suit.
Old 03-12-2004 | 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by haole_boySS
I guess I am stupid for asking this, but why on gods green earth would AFR sell heads "complete" with a valve train that only handles .550 lift??? What other company that sells heads, sells them with such weak springs? What are the retainers like? Are the pushrods even hardened?

Am I the only one wondering this??
Im sure they will do any springs of your choice.
Old 03-12-2004 | 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Why wouldn't he post up the numbers? I am sure TEA wont mind as they are dealer and it will be very easy for them to do these heads as well. Show some numbers to compare to or don't post any numbers at all.
Why post a number if you don't want anyone to compare them? Why say "our head will make 50 more hp than any stage 3 lsx head out there when your head isn't even completed yet?
Now we have a really cool situation here. Both were dyno’ed on the same engine. The TEA head made 540 hp. They made 530 we all know this right? So why not post the numbers under the curve to show us how well they do? Do you remember how bad the AFR lt1 heads sucked?
I am not price shopping here. I simply answered your question if on an engine dyno both heads made the exact same hp and tq curves which one would I choose? The cheapest is what I said because why would you buy the most expensive if they made the exact same hp and tq curves? I am also not downing AFR ls1 heads….how can I ? I have yet to see any hp and tq curves to compare them too?

Where do you work? Sounds like you and Tony are real close I also don't need to be spoon fed articles from mag's As I have found most of them clueless to the real world performance shops/parts. Most (not all) will pimp who ever is paying the most advertising bucks.
We have a great opportunity here to compare them to a stage 2 head on the same short block, on the same dyno, with the same intake and tb, even open headers. The TEA heads used a slightly larger cam so give the nod to them on 10 more hp. We know the peaks show us the area under the curve!!

What size MAF was used on these real world dyno test? Or was it speed density? BTW I sent an email to TEA they do not mind being compared with the AFR heads. Why would they? TEA will sell a ton of worked AFR heads if the proof is in the pudding. Heck he is asking for them now simply because of the deck height. BTW enjoy your Corvette I loved my 99 it was a riot.

Last edited by H82BBad; 03-12-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2004 | 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Tony, if you need a test car, Hook me up. I'll install them within a few days of delivery and post my results. Let me know bro!
Old 03-13-2004 | 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
Tony, if you need a test car, Hook me up. I'll install them within a few days of delivery and post my results. Let me know bro!
lol

yeah let me know if you need a 410ci to test out those 225's on

Quick Reply: Afr 205 Dyno Results