Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evidence of valve float?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Evidence of valve float?

Are these marks on the spring evidence of valve float or do they look pretty normal?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks normal. The place to look to be sure would be the valve tips.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That just looks like the springs rotating and slowly removing some of the base material.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JS01
That looks normal. The place to look to be sure would be the valve tips.
Agreed, looks normal to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those look like the junk *** springs that failed for me!! never again PAC ......

this will give you valve float and then they want you to buy new springs not even 500 miles or even a year on the POS I have patriot springs this time and new heads thanks to PAC springs that are junk! and they wont even replace them... not like I was even after them for the destroyed head or valves

both sides are cracked from the guide to the roof.

Last edited by 89 formula350; 09-18-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
those look like the junk *** springs that failed for me!! never again PAC ......
That's bad news...I just installed a set this Summer.

What was your measured installed height, and what cam are you running?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I will keep this going since it does apply to the original post asking about valve float

sorry no installed height taken on the original heads, they were by a well known vendor on the site and I never thought of checking the work although no shims or indication of work made to adjust height.

I will say im a little pissed on that end of the deal as well but they worked with me on my next set of heads (although not much but did something) so I wont say the name.

just be aware people make darn sure when you buy heads they provide you with TESTED spring pressures and install height info.

the replacements were just CNC heads that I had a local machine shop install patriot springs in along with my new valves. The local machine shop gave me the tested spring rates, install height and well more info than I really cared to know

the deal is most people (including builders) just drop springs in and run but thats the problem a batch of springs can and often times vary in rates and in the case of my PAC springs were not up to spec. this vendor just dropped them in and as you see my wallet suffered

the cam Isnt anything great its a proven grind that works well on the street... 224/228 .588/.588 114+1
Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

That sucks about the springs. It doesnt surprise me if they werent setup correctly though. I watched some videos on youtube yesterday showing valve float and it is crazy what goes on. I would suggest watching them and it will really open ur eyes if you have never seen it, did mine. I am just lucky i hadnt ran mine very much before learning i need to set up the springs. Thanks for the replys.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yep! had the installer bothered to check the spring rates and installed height none of this would have happened.

now I get to re-tune my car because it was tuned with weak springs and improper spring pressures

notice how the keepers got hammered into the retainer in my picture

Last edited by 89 formula350; 09-18-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

yep! had the installer bothered to check the spring rates and installed height none of this would have happened.

now I get to re-tune my car because it was tuned with weak springs and improper spring pressures
PAC is typically one of those manufacturers that consistently make a quality product. It's hard to believe it was a "junk" PAC beehive spring if your combo is happier with a dual spring, like the Patriots. It sounds more like it was just used in the wrong application.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

There was a batch of defective PAC 1518 springs last year around Fall timeframe, possible your springs were these?

Mine are 1218 and I had them rate-checked before installation, right on the money w/ all 16 both at installed height and minus 0.551" valve lift. LS6 cam.

I also measured installed heights on all 16 prior to installation. It's run two autocrosses and a 4-session road course event without problems.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
PAC is typically one of those manufacturers that consistently make a quality product. It's hard to believe it was a "junk" PAC beehive spring if your combo is happier with a dual spring, like the Patriots. It sounds more like it was just used in the wrong application.
what the heck are you talking about??? go back and read through. I had the springs tested by PAC they are bad but due to the lack of any customer loyalty I went with a different company.

these springs are made for my application no doubt there so I dont know what your trying to say other than increase your post count.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just checked my e-mail and these were 1218's that was confirmed by PAC when I sent them in as they requested
Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the heck are you talking about??? go back and read through. I had the springs tested by PAC they are bad but due to the lack of any customer loyalty I went with a different company.

these springs are made for my application no doubt there so I dont know what your trying to say other than increase your post count.
Are you some kind of dumbass? He's trying to say you most likely used the wrong spring for your application. PAC is one of the best spring manufacturers in the business. Just because you/your builder used the wrong spring for your setup or set them up wrong doesn't mean PAC makes a subpar product. I guarantee you used too weak a spring for whatever lobe you ran or they had your springs set up too far from coil bind and they started surging and caused the springs to lose pressure. Considering you went from a single beehive to a dual spring kit and fixed your problem proves right there that you chose the wrong spring for your combination in the beginning. I'm glad you finally got your deal running but don't blame PAC for something that wasn't their fault.

Last edited by JS01; 09-18-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JS01
Are you some kind of dumbass? He's trying to say you most likely used the wrong spring for your application. PAC is one of the best spring manufacturers in the business. Just because you/your builder used the wrong spring for your setup or set them up wrong doesn't mean PAC makes a subpar product. I guarantee you used too weak a spring for whatever lobe you ran or they had your springs set up too far from coil bind and they started surging and caused the springs to lose pressure. Considering you went from a single beehive to a dual spring kit and fixed your problem proves right there that you chose the wrong spring for your combination in the beginning. I'm glad you finally got your deal running but don't blame PAC for something that wasn't their fault.

I love these guys who step in and toss a guess or two at something that was well looked into on COF

oh well every ones an expert right? got to love the internet

FYI this was not "my choice" the springs were the correct and recommended spring for this cam. its not an agressive cam by any means and was a matched setup.

nice on the pure speculation
Old 09-18-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I love these guys who step in and toss a guess or two at something that was well looked into on COF

oh well every ones an expert right? got to love the internet

FYI this was not "my choice" the springs were the correct and recommended spring for this cam. its not an agressive cam by any means and was a matched setup.

nice on the pure speculation
Regardless of your spring failure or not, PAC is a great spring manufacturer. Calling their springs POS, is pretty drama queen-ish. That's why the others spoke up.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
There was a batch of defective PAC 1518 springs last year around Fall timeframe, possible your springs were these?
That's what I'm thinking since I've not heard of PAC 1518s failing except for the defective batch they had as mentioned. Either that, or the springs where in coil bind for some reason, etc.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you use PAC 1518s or 1218s? What are we looking at in this photo? - left spring vs. right spring? Did you have an actual spring failure or just so called valve float? Sketchy info so far.

So were these PAC springs you used within their new specs? ... doesn't sound like it if you say they were tested and supposedly something was wrong. What are the details beside maybe the wrong springs were used for your setup, etc?

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 09-18-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
That's what I'm thinking since I've not heard of PAC 1518s failing except for the defective batch they had as mentioned. Either that, or the springs where in coil bind for some reason, etc.
Coil bind usually shows up as bent pushrods, broken rockers, or other damage to the valvetrain.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with us, but as far as customer loyalty goes, I offered a set of 1518's to you at AMD price, so there isn't any room to state we did not try to help you. We are very fair and do our best to help everyone out as much as we can.

Quick Reply: Evidence of valve float?