Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Valve Train Noise Sucks! I challenge the aftermarket.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
I think the whole lifter preload issue has been beaten to death here.
The only reason I am beating on this topic, and I suspect some others too, is that I have replaced my stock LQ9 lifters with new LS7 lifters and tried just about every preload imaginable and the noise is very bad. I literally have a pushrod collection in .025" increments from 7.325" to 7.4" and they are all nearly equally noisy. I have good oil pressure 25-30 at idle gradually climbing to 70+ at high rpm.

I am currently replacing my Comp Cams XR275H12 cam with a EPS/LXL cam. I am hoping against hope that it will be better. Geoff sent me some 7.425" pushrods to complete my collection. Although with the taller height of my LS7 lifters, this will put preload in the .130"+ range on my stock short-block and un-milled LS6 heads.

To give you an idea of how loud it is, when I drive by a building or a car in traffic, I can hear lifters/valve train noise above the sound of anything else from my car. It sounds terrible and it is so annoying to me that I sound deadened my floor and firewall to keep it out and I can still hear it coming through at times.

If this new cam does not work, I have an offer to try some new lifters. I really don't want to pull the heads again and I don't have a lot of time for that right now, but it is the only next move I can think of if the cam does not quiet this thing down.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried different combinations, and nothing has helped.
The entire car is soundproofed with quality materials. Add a rear induction hood scoop and the noise is even louder.
Not complaining, just reporting the facts.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
You are saying you have seen that much variation within one batch?
No, not in one batch. Seen that over a couple year period and many parts.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

After the install of my EPS/LXL cam from my previous Comp (XE or XER or something along those lines) and installing the factory style foam strips to my Fast intake my noise is virtually gone. It's still there, but no where near as bad. It's more the sound of the valves closing as Shane pointed out but I do have some sewing machine noise.

I am running 7.4 pushrods on Vortec 350 roller lifters with 799 heads milled .010" and FelPro stock thickness gaskets. If I did it right, I am just shy of 2 turns under 0 lash so I would really like to try some shorter pushrods.

I have a pushrod length tool so once I get some free time I am going to measure and see what it thinks I need.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
My point is, most everyone here has forgotten a couple of the biggest factors which contribute to noise: valvespring choice/setup and the natural harmonics of that particular setup.

Thanks,
Shane
You are forgetting maybe the most important factor...and that is lobe design.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Havoc40
No, not in one batch. Seen that over a couple year period and many parts.
I have a question about the taller LS7 lifters you have inspected. Did you find that the plunger sweep area is longer? Or is the bottom of the lifter travel taller in conjunction with the height?

Last edited by speedtigger; 11-19-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortec rollers

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
After the install of my EPS/LXL cam from my previous Comp (XE or XER or something along those lines) and installing the factory style foam strips to my Fast intake my noise is virtually gone. It's still there, but no where near as bad. It's more the sound of the valves closing as Shane pointed out but I do have some sewing machine noise.

I am running 7.4 pushrods on Vortec 350 roller lifters with 799 heads milled .010" and FelPro stock thickness gaskets. If I did it right, I am just shy of 2 turns under 0 lash so I would really like to try some shorter pushrods.

I have a pushrod length tool so once I get some free time I am going to measure and see what it thinks I need.
Haven't heard of the vortec roller lifter swap, what's the benefit?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have a question about the taller LS7 lifters you have inspected. Did you find that the plunger sweep area is longer? Or is the bottom of the lifter travel taller in conjunction with the height?
LS7 lifters are 'NOT' taller!!!!!

I had sewing machine when I went cam only & stayed with 7.4 pushrods....As has been stated..'attention to detail'. Now with shaved heads, higher comp, different cam etc etc & better attention to detail, & a Fast intake I have a relatively quiet valve train.

edit: Just noticed you listed comp trunion upgrade. Just maybe you need adj r/rockers to get your valve train quiet, good quality shaft mounted Jessels.

Last edited by ls1 1990 VN; 01-02-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
LS7 lifters are 'NOT' taller!!!!!
LOL. Here we go again.

I appreciate that your statement is based on your personal experience, but there are others with a different experience including many very reputable sources that have measured and photo documented their findings. If you search you can find the other threads.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you mean this thread, then yes...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...+lifter+length
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rdkonkel
Haven't heard of the vortec roller lifter swap, what's the benefit?
My lifters were trash, engine was torn apart, and my dad had an almost brand new set of Vortec lifters in the shop so we could re-assemble immediately instead of 3 days later.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Speedtrigger, I understand what you're saying. I have two short stories about some of my cars. I did a cam swap in my '97 Corvette using a Comp 228/230 588/592 on 112 LSA
This thing was dead quiet, I remember guys telling me to buy new lifters, but I didn't because my car only had 30k miles. Of course it wasn't fast enough, I swapped on a set of 5.3 heads and broke down and bought the Caddy lifters. Guess what? Noisy valve train. Preload and pushrod size were correct.

Next boring story, I have a 2002 WS6 with 14k miles. The valve train isn't nearly as quiet as the 99 106k mile WS6 I just bought. I remember thinking, man I bet this thing is going to have lifter noise. Nope, not a single sound comes from the higher mile engine, it has long tube headers too.

Back to the Vette, I'm not sure what specific change accounts for the noise, but I can tell you it sure wasn't the camshaft. I don't remember the lobe profile though. Either way the same cam was in the car.

This has me wondering when the lifter design changed.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is stock w/headers,, sounds like a diesal powered sewing machine till it warms up
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Got some more miles on the new setup so to chime back in with my EPS 230/238, high end of tolerable preload, FAST90mm, longtubes, and older Vortec 350 lifters mine is nearly silent when warmed.

I do have a slight noise that seems to get louder based on load coming from the passenger side of the engine, I can only hear it if the windows are up and the radio is off. It could be an exhaust leak I haven't checked yet. Could also be one of the lifters making a little noise.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
mine is stock w/headers,, sounds like a diesal powered sewing machine till it warms up
Hmm, noisy '02 what year did the GM lifter style change? Did it change?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

i haven't read all this thread but i can vouch for the eps cam once i sorted my **** up with the oil pump its as quiet as before i tounched it and sounds the bollocks i would rekomend a esp cam all day long
Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Teching In

In my opinion, changing lifter preload is not going to get rid of the noise unless your way off. As it has been stated here over and over again, its the ramp rate of the lobe that makes the sewing machine noise. I beat my head aginst the wall with mine measureing and remeasuring my lifter preload, buying three sets of push rods, and hours of research, and guess what? I still have valvetrain noise. My cam has a XE-R lobe so it's noisey and always will be. The only way I'm going to get rid of the noise is to swap the Cam.

Last edited by Tooldude; 01-08-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tooldude
In my opinion, changing lifter preload is not going to get rid of the noise unless your way off. As it has been stated here over and over again, its the ramp rate of the lobe that makes the sewing machine noise. I beat my head aginst the wall with mine measureing and remeasuring my lifter preload, buying three sets of push rods, and hours of research, and guess what? I still have valvetrain noise. My cam has a XE-R lobe so it's noisey and always will be. The only way I'm going to get rid of the noise is to swap the Cam.
I lot of truth in that statement.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Many great answers in this thread. From what I have learned in many years of working on this particular engine family, is that valvetrain noise is such a "common" thing in where stock parts have been replaced with aftermarket parts. What OIL PUMP is in your engine?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JPH
Many great answers in this thread. From what I have learned in many years of working on this particular engine family, is that valvetrain noise is such a "common" thing in where stock parts have been replaced with aftermarket parts. What OIL PUMP is in your engine?
Stock

Quick Reply: LS Valve Train Noise Sucks! I challenge the aftermarket.