Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 hot cam advance or retard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by be good
how many replies have there been and this is the fist one on topic lol. thank you for asking. the motor is in a Miata and i bought it used off Craigslist. i have no real information about the motor or it's prior life. i do know it's from a 97 corvette. it has the perimeter bolt heads. it doesn't burn any oil or water, and it seems to run fine. i haven't done any tests to it. i have pulled the oil pan and inspected for water or any other clues of miss care. everything to a visual inspection seemed clued to a well cared for motor (i never changed the oil in my del sol. i know what a not cared for engine looks like lol). it is a real hot cam. i bought it from summit racing brand new.

when it was first dynoed it was at 275 (factory tune with ported throttle body, hot cam, shorty headers) after the tune it was at 330. i figured the heads where choking the power being that they are the lowest compression and lowest flowing heads ever made. that's why i was going to upgrade them. i installed the hot cam with the slp double roller timing chain and oil pump. i thought i advanced the cam 1*. after watching a power block episode when they where timing a cam with the same gear set, i think i might have gotten it backwards. so i might be 1* retarded. The bottom end power is not as impressive as my 4500rpm+ pull. i think i might have the cam set to have peak power out side of my rev-limiter.
I don't think 1* of retard is going to make a huge difference either way. The fact is 275 untuned was shockingly low. You did pick up 55 HP with a tune, so it responded to the mods. I'd do a compression test and go from there. It could just be that you have a factory dog, along with the fact that it is a first-year motor.

Maybe some of the folks here will have some ideas.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I don't think 1* of retard is going to make a huge difference either way. The fact is 275 untuned was shockingly low. You did pick up 55 HP with a tune, so it responded to the mods. I'd do a compression test and go from there. It could just be that you have a factory dog, along with the fact that it is a first-year motor.

Maybe some of the folks here will have some ideas.
tank god it's in a miata lol. you wouldn't call it a dog even with 330 hp lol
Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How many degrees of overlap is the hotcam?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

I believe it is -.5
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by be good
tank god it's in a miata lol. you wouldn't call it a dog even with 330 hp lol
No offense was intended...I just meant relatively speaking!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

as some mentioned changing cam would be the best choice, advancing or retarding cam will change powerband, but just a bit, it also depends on your cam powerband, idk very well that cam, but adv/retard would only move powerband like 200rpm per degree, so if u looking for a little more power definitely change it!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy for you.

How many miles do you have on a Hot Cam?
I drove a Hotcammed car for about 25 miles and decided it wasn't worth it since I was spending the money on decent heads. I went to a 227/227 .600/.600 114 cam and I think this would be a decent cam for the OP. I topped it off with a TNT nitrous system.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DETROIT_AREA_00_SS
I drove a Hotcammed car for about 25 miles and decided it wasn't worth it since I was spending the money on decent heads. I went to a 227/227 .600/.600 114 cam and I think this would be a decent cam for the OP. I topped it off with a TNT nitrous system.
25 miles and a boatload of dough really makes you an expert on that cam...Whatever, man.

Just because it made no sense for you doesn't mean that the OP has the same needs.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Launching!

25 miles and a boatload of dough really makes you an expert on that cam...Whatever, man.

Just because it made no sense for you doesn't mean that the OP has the same needs.
The 25 miles I drove compared to my stock cammed car is all that I needed to tell the car needed more cam to make a cam/ head swap worth it. I wasn't after a ***** to the wall race cam, I simply wanted a cam that drove well on the street and produced power without being radical in design or especially hard on my valvetrain. Something that COMPLIMENTED my heads. Since then I have had quite a few (I have lost count, maybe 6-7) different cams with different set-ups over the years in 6-speeds and autos.

Wake up dude! If the guy is spending money on a nice set of heads the hotcam is not a great match. CASE CLOSED and THANKS FOR COMING OUT.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Whatever you say, man. Anyone with the cash can throw big bucks at a motor and make power. Props to you for being able to that. Many of us actually have to do this stuff on a budget and have to learn how to make a combo work. If you only gave it 25 miles before ditching it for something bigger, I doubt you made any effort to make it work.

Talking **** is easy when you have a blank check. Most of us don't live in that world, so we can't always drop $750+ on a cam package. Besides, given a choice between spending extra on a cam package or nice heads, I'll pick the heads every time.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Whatever you say, man. Anyone with the cash can throw big bucks at a motor and make power. Props to you for being able to that. Many of us actually have to do this stuff on a budget and have to learn how to make a combo work. If you only gave it 25 miles before ditching it for something bigger, I doubt you made any effort to make it work.

Talking **** is easy when you have a blank check. Most of us don't live in that world, so we can't always drop $750+ on a cam package. Besides, given a choice between spending extra on a cam package or nice heads, I'll pick the heads every time.
The lobes on the hotcam are just too lazy. It is like wanting to make a muzzled dog bite. You could enhance it with excellent heads and higher ratio rockers, but the expense will not warrant the gain.
Changing cams makes good sense then.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

I have had my Hotcam in since July 2003. For a stock headed car that is basically just a weekend car it has been fun and basically maintenance free. Mine made 381 rwhp/373 rwtq.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
The lobes on the hotcam are just too lazy. It is like wanting to make a muzzled dog bite. You could enhance it with excellent heads and higher ratio rockers, but the expense will not warrant the gain.
Changing cams makes good sense then.
i'm fine with the hot cam.... so quit it. just wondering why my motor is so far down on power compared to other hot can users. i thought it might be the timing.

every one else with a hot cam and good hp numbers (360-380hp).. do you have it timed straight up? ie..0*
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine was straight up. No HP numbers just track numbers I posted.

Quick Reply: ls1 hot cam advance or retard?