Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP Stud Torque Procedure.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARP Stud Torque Procedure.

I took off my heads and I have head studs. I had to remove the middle and lower studs to get the heads off. I do not have the instructions for the ARP Head Stud Kit so I don't know how much they should be torqued to...or the sequence. Can anybody tell me how much torque to put the studs in the block is? and how much to torque the bolts afterwards? What is the Maximum torque for both?
Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I took off my heads and I have head studs. I had to remove the middle and lower studs to get the heads off. I do not have the instructions for the ARP Head Stud Kit so I don't know how much they should be torqued to...or the sequence. Can anybody tell me how much torque to put the studs in the block is? and how much to torque the bolts afterwards? What is the Maximum torque for both?
Thanks
I use the sequence from LS1howto.com and tighten them in 3 steps. 25ftlbs, 50ftlbs, and then 65ftlbs. I also use the ARP moly lube on the threads and washers. I put sealant on the threads of the studs that go into the block and hand tightened them with an allan wrench, not really really tight. The smaller studs across the top, I torqued the nuts in two steps, 15ftlbs, and then finally 25ftlbs.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:06 AM

Dude...thanks alot. I was just on ARP's website looking for tech data...all that I had was the LS1 Stud PN 234-4316 (12 Point) but I did not know what size the studs were so I was trying to figure out what the torque was. I will probably use RTV on the studs that go into the block and then moly during reassembly. I guess I could use thread sealer too...any recommendations on where to get the thread sealer..or should I just use locktite?
Thanks again.
Kevin
Old 03-08-2004, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Dude...thanks alot. I was just on ARP's website looking for tech data...all that I had was the LS1 Stud PN 234-4316 (12 Point) but I did not know what size the studs were so I was trying to figure out what the torque was. I will probably use RTV on the studs that go into the block and then moly during reassembly. I guess I could use thread sealer too...any recommendations on where to get the thread sealer..or should I just use locktite?
Thanks again.
Kevin
I just went to the parts store and bought this black "thread sealer" and installed on all the threads that go down in the block. I'd be afraid to use loctite. I also use the same thread sealer on the rocker bolts that go into the intake runners on my heads, the bolts have came loose every time I've taken the rockers off, so it doesn't "harden" like locktite would. I'd be afraid of locktite.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:36 AM

OK I will use Thread Sealer or RTV I was reading the ARP Torque Tech Tips. I will buy some Moly Lube for the outside threads.

Hey great avatar...Dirty Harry was may favorite.