Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye bye ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The squeal you hear in the second vid is the rod bearing spinning. The block is prolly OK but the crank is most likely toast. You can also hear the piston hitting the head.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
The squeal you hear in the second vid is the rod bearing spinning. The block is prolly OK but the crank is most likely toast. You can also hear the piston hitting the head.
Well, at least I finally have a more definite answer.. Good or bad, thanks everyone!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

See my post on your other thread on this subject.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
it makes that noise because of slop as it is my understanding. the piston rod is banging around as the crank moves. Eventually the bearing will come loose, bind against the top bearing and lock the engine down. Could damage the block. best if you stop now, take it apart, maybe the block is still good.
This is exactly what happened to my V6.

OP, swap an LQ9 if you can. Either way, good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would come out ahead by going the junkyard route to get you a used motor. Most places actually will give you a warranty. Your looking at a complete rebuild to fix your motor.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC98Z
You would come out ahead by going the junkyard route to get you a used motor. Most places actually will give you a warranty. Your looking at a complete rebuild to fix your motor.

I picked up my LQ4 for $650. It's not running yet but it looks to be in good condition inside.

A cam swap and you're above stock Ls1 power numbers.

and since you're pulling the ls1, all you gotta carry over is your top end, your windage tray/pickup tube/oil pan, and your flexplate.. few other misc. goodies.. but it should be apparent.

Lq9 is the best route to go, if you can't find one, Lq4 is ok too. Only difference between them is dished/flat top pistons. Lq9 is commonly found in escalades, LQ4 in 3/4 ton trucks. 4s are more common.

use this:

http://www.car-part.com/

that's how I found mine.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
hate to say it but hes right my motor made the EXACT same noise the only way you can save that crank is to take it out and have it turned down you'll have to go with a larger bearings either way a machine shop should really be used for this fix. i said **** it and built my all forged 383 and havent looked back. the only thing about turning down a crank is it makes it thinner(weaker). sorry bro thats an exspensive knock if you keep running the car the bearing and rod will keep eating itself till it fails and punches a nice fist size hole in your block..... SO STOP RUNNING IT just from those two videos you can hear it getting louder in the second video. Ever heard of the death knock (death rattle) thats it bro so if i was you i wold pull it out unless you want a fucked up block too as well as head damage from the piston hitting it..
Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! it turned out to be a rod bearing. On the brink of destruction!!!!

**New parts coming soon!