Sponsored by:

What is needed with Trex Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=QucikSilver;15480398]
Originally Posted by Cosmos
If you call Thunder Racing (the people that designed the cam) and ask for Shane, what I stated is exactly what he will tell you. The Raptor cam you dont have to pull 7400, that one will make power around 6600-6800 and make power earlier, The Trex does not make power until over 4k and stretches to over 7k. Quoting Thunder Racing.
You said you need to spin it to 7.4k to make any kind of power. I know who makes it and I dont need to call Shane. I have this cam in my car with the correct set up so I know how it acts.

For a drag set up I would get the trex with the correct bolts ons. Its makes great power and is awesome for the strip.

Drag set up I would get 3.73s and a 4k or 4.4k stall with the TRex. I would also look into a Victor Jr with the accufab EFI 4 barrel throttle body. One of my best friends has that set up and a TRex and it flat out rips. Not so much under 4k though lol His car is focused on drag racing.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Launching!

I would at least get some 3.73s out back. Yea u DON't need em but it will drive like a dump truck without them.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Cosmos;15480452]
Originally Posted by QucikSilver

You said you need to spin it to 7.4k to make any kind of power. I know who makes it and I dont need to call Shane. I have this cam in my car with the correct set up so I know how it acts.

For a drag set up I would get the trex with the correct bolts ons. Its makes great power and is awesome for the strip.

Drag set up I would get 3.73s and a 4k or 4.4k stall with the TRex. I would also look into a Victor Jr with the accufab EFI 4 barrel throttle body. One of my best friends has that set up and a TRex and it flat out rips. Not so much under 4k though lol His car is focused on drag racing.
We can go back and forth all day long about this. Everyone has their opinion about what works and what doesnt. I personally run a TREX, Th400 with ATI 8" 4400 with 4:30 gears and 27" tall tire. stock cube 11:1 with FAST 78/78. It flys. That is my setup, Cosmo, I am sure your setup works too. You will not find one person on this entire site with a perfectly duplicated setup. So, that being said, just take whatever advice you would like and build YOUR car the way YOU want to.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRockHardman
I'm hooking fine with no suspension life because I'm only running 12.50s with 1.70's 60ft.. I use only hoosier quick time pros... I was happy when I saw my times with only a converter and intake..... the place I go to is one if the best in ny so I think my tune is fine.. I'm not saying there isnt any better out there. and I'm putting on pacesetter long tube and magnaflow exhaust..
That 60' needs work.

Originally Posted by TheRockHardman
I don't think there's no way I can run faster with my setup..
There is improvement to be had in 98% of setups on ls1tech.com.

Are you serious? You dont have to spin the TRex to 7400. It STARTS making power around 3-3.5k With the right set up. And why would he put 4.10s in an auto for a street car?

OP
If you wanna run the TRex it will be very fun on the street but you NEED to have it set up properly. You need gears, at least a 3.8k stall, full bolt ons and I would highley recommend decking the heads and flycutting the pistons to up the compression. These are the mods you WILL need to get the TRex to go like it should. If you just throw it in there with stock gears and a few bolt ons it will not be near its potential and youll probably get pulled on by a 224 lol.

Should be around 242/248 110 LSA
Why would you put 410s in an auto for a street car?..... Why would you put a Trex in a street car?
If you go with a max effort cam, everything has to be max effort. I ran an Ms4 410s and 4400 converter daily for almost 2 years. And I waxed 2 other Ms4 cars asses, hard, because they had more street oriented set ups.
If you want a street car, it is NOT the cam for 95% of people.

Hell, my 226 stock intake car pulled both of those Ms4 cars as well.

Originally Posted by QucikSilver
I am by no means saying that anyone here has to believe me. I have to reason to fudge numbers on a car that has not been setup like that in years. It was not meant to start and he said she said, I call bullshit thread. I was using that as a way of stating that a stock car with bolt ons and a stall can and should run 11's...(anywhere in the 11's).
And I, by no means, am trying to say you were lying. I'm saying something was up with the timers/track/etc where you ran.
It is impossible for a full weight car with that 60' and 1/8 mph with those mods to run those times. Impossible, period.

A bolt on car (full exhaust/3800+ converter/tune/ls6 intake) with a nice converter as long as its average DA with a decent track should run 11.8s-12.1s....... @109-112!!!! Not 120mph and bottom 11s. In that case, all half *** cam only cars should be in the 10s... And ALL H/C cars FULL WEIGHT should be in the 10s. Simply not the case. My car is right on where it should be for its mods.. Next track visit it might be a little above average.. And I'm still not in the 10s with H/C.

You need to stop.

Drag setup... 410s minimum, 28" tire, 4400 converter minimum, etc.... It is a max effort cam, everything must be max effort.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The reason I said 3.73s and a 4k was to keep it some what streetable. Thats as low as I would go in an auto TRex car. If the car is ALL out then I agree with you. My friend has the Trex set ups we are talking about with 4.10s. His car is made for the track but when he does drive it on the street he hates it because of the tall gears. Thats why I brought that up. I think he is around 2.5k or higher at 70 mph with the 4.10s/auto combo.

Hell, my 226 stock intake car pulled both of those Ms4 cars as well
stock gears, stock compression, stock intake cars, why did my MS4 only put down 380 kind of cars lol?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

4.10's and this cam is crap.. at LEAST 4.30's
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

The reason I said 3.73s and a 4k was to keep it some what streetable. Thats as low as I would go in an auto TRex car. If the car is ALL out then I agree with you. My friend has the Trex set ups we are talking about with 4.10s. His car is made for the track but when he does drive it on the street he hates it because of the tall gears. Thats why I brought that up. I think he is around 2.5k or higher at 70 mph with the 4.10s/auto combo.

stock gears, stock compression, stock intake cars, why did my MS4 only put down 380 kind of cars lol?
Trex/donkey Dick cam cars need to be all out or nothing. Period.

What are you saing at the end?
One cars setup....
317 heads
Fast ported 92 setup
Full exhaust cutout
Ms4
3600 converter

Next car
Ms4
Prc stg1 heads
Fast 90 setup
Full exhaust
3600 converter
373s

Not such **** setups now, are they? My car runs good and would pull most h/c cars I run against. And its full weight with a baby 226, its all in the setup. I get out of the hole way better than most and have good mid range, ie 30 rolls. She doesn't start sacking until well over 100mph, then the stock ls6 intake and 226 cam show where its weak spot is.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
What are you saing at the end?
One cars setup....
317 heads
Fast ported 92 setup
Full exhaust cutout
Ms4
3600 converter

Next car
Ms4
Prc stg1 heads
Fast 90 setup
Full exhaust
3600 converter
373s

Not such **** setups now, are they? My car runs good and would pull most h/c cars I run against. And its full weight with a baby 226, its all in the setup. I get out of the hole way better than most and have good mid range, ie 30 rolls. She doesn't start sacking until well over 100mph, then the stock ls6 intake and 226 cam show where its weak spot is.
I never said they were **** set ups. I was just wondering if they had the correct set up to run big cams, most cars on here dont. The first car sounds like it would be a dog if it had stock compression.

WIsh you were around here Id run ya.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

First car is a complete dog, for a few different reasons. I tried to help him but he didn't listen.
Second is an average donkey Dick cam setup.
Like I said, my ms4 car destroyed both of them badly. I put around 3 car lengths on the prc head car, I have a thread about it with crappy quality video. We did three races, the only one with video was the closest race. He made 423rwhp, the other made around 385-390 iirc on a dyno that reads a tad low.

I'm always down for a friendly run! I don't know your setup but if rd a properly setup large cam car, it would easily pull me.. Like I said I'm running full weight and really a budget setup, just thought out well. Everything it has is from a dig..1.4x short time helps me a ton.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is a Trex with 59cc, 5.3 I ported, M6 and 4.30 gears. Its sad most people see big cam cars numbers and times but dont follow the correct steps to take the cam to its potential and then wonderin why there car loses to a true cam only 224 cammed car.

My car put down 416 corrected on a mustang dyno. Im pretty happy considering it has the heavy ls7 clutch and a moser 9 sucking up power. It also has a ls1 intake. lol
Old 10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"I was running 11.20's in a full weight trans am with 3.42 gears, a 3800 stall and true duals with a good tune and I only had a LS1 intake and a stock cam."

i want to know quicksilvers secret did he race in -5000da.
let me see 11.20s
full weight +driver=3700lbs
3.42+3800stall...decent for the power it was making
true duals.....blah not like it makes a whole lot more power
stock ls1 intake,stock cam

makes bout 345locked,weighs 3700lbs and traps 118.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is a Trex with 59cc, 5.3 I ported, M6 and 4.30 gears. Its sad most people see big cam cars numbers and times but dont follow the correct steps to take the cam to its potential and then wonderin why there car loses to a true cam only 224 cammed car.

My car put down 416 corrected on a mustang dyno. Im pretty happy considering it has the heavy ls7 clutch and a moser 9 sucking up power. It also has a ls1 intake. lol
Sounds like a nice setup.. Since you have the heads to help, you should get a nice pick up from a FAST setup.

I would get out on you from a dig (being an a4) and a low roll.. But from a higher roll 30+ you would pull on me.. And start coming back from a dig or low roll around 100 probably. Just from my experience, and this is my opinion!

Would be interesting to see!

Originally Posted by fly pantera
"I was running 11.20's in a full weight trans am with 3.42 gears, a 3800 stall and true duals with a good tune and I only had a LS1 intake and a stock cam."

i want to know quicksilvers secret did he race in -5000da.
let me see 11.20s
full weight +driver=3700lbs
3.42+3800stall...decent for the power it was making
true duals.....blah not like it makes a whole lot more power
stock ls1 intake,stock cam

makes bout 345locked,weighs 3700lbs and traps 118.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

id put a turbo on it , you nailed it

Quick Reply: What is needed with Trex Cam