Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASA Cam or LS Hot Cam for 5.3L LS Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

There's a lot to be said for the GM cams, IMO. They're not much cheaper than an aftermarket cam, so I don't think cost is a big deal. They're generally low lift, and are easy on the valve train; and work well with stock heads and springs. Other cams make more power, but the trade off is in durability.

In the crate engines, the ASA engine makes more HP and TQ than the others, and the only change I know if is the cam. Change the cam, make 25 HP.

The ASA cam makes power in the mid and upper range, and makes for good throttle response - or so They say. But it's really designed for a 6.0L engine. As said above, putting it in a smaller displacement engine will make it seem like a bigger cam. It will move the power band up a little higher, and accentuate the loss of low end power.

The first thing to do is measure chamber volume, piston deck heights, and quench height. From that, calculate static compression. Then calculate dynamic compression ratio's with both cams. With just that info, pick the cam that gives you the appropriate DCR.

I like to use Desk Top Dyno. It requires a lot more information; but you can compare one cam against another. Computer modeling allows you to build multiple engines and see which one you like best.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 chevy

Thanks for the link. Problem is, this is a budget upgrade. I acquired the cam threw a horse trade deal. So I'm not gonna hav no more than cost of TC, an retuning which I can hav done cheap also. I originally considered the 212/218 low lift cam, which shows good number's for these motors, but the asa cam is what I stumbled on

Quick Reply: ASA Cam or LS Hot Cam for 5.3L LS Motor