Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dam my dealership said the same thing
Old 03-17-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the late '80's I worked at a Cadillac dealership, and we replaced a bazillion HT4100 engines. The HT4100 V-8 was reknowned to have intake gasket failures that caused water & coolant to get into the crankcase, which in turn caused bearing failure.

If GM wants to retain their loyal customers, they should step up to the plate, and do what ever it takes to correct the problem. (ie, HT4100 V-8)
Old 03-18-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
i contacted the firm via email and they sent me a reply asking for any correspondance with the dealerships and any info about both of my cars. I know the SS wouldnt get **** covered because it has been modified to much, but the suburban has a CAI and thats it.

But how in the heck am I supposed to get any corresponance when the dealership just tells me "its normal" and hangs up?
Go into the dealer. Ask to speak to the service manager. Have him listen to the problem. Have it documented and take a copy of that documentation. I would also attempt to contact 3-4 more dealers and have them listen to it. You need a paper trail. Remember here-say has no revelance in court. You need evidence and you need a paper trail to give the lawyers something to go with. They also need that service managers or whatevers name and signature on that sheet to give a name for them to go back to. IE call a witness, "This is your name and signature, correct Mr. Smith"? I hope this helps some, BTW good luck with the SS on getting it done also.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I have contacted the law firm and will participate inthe suit even though my car does not suffer from piston slap.

Since the suit claims that all owners have suffered becasue the resale value has declined I have decided to participate.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have a sound clip can anyone host it?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
...Since the suit claims that all owners have suffered becasue the resale value has declined I have decided to participate...
Typical litigious bullshit. Here we have certain people with a ligitimate piston slap issued and then we have others trying to take advantage. Typical, typical.

If your engine ain't slapping you'll get fair market value.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I have it in my 02, and it doesn't go away after it is warmed up but it doesn't sound that bad.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:17 PM
org
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
I'd like to punch that lawyer dead in his face.

Yes, there are SOME, and a very small percentage of motors with legit issues out there.

<ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ALL THAT AND PEOPLE ARE READY TO BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS OVER A LITTLE NOISE????>

GM is not feeding anyone anything. The customer feeds GM.

<So go ahead, show GM how much you all appreciate them building an affordable 350hp car that ran low 13's/high 12's stock, could be had for around $20,000, gets great gas milege, handled nice, and was extremely reliable. >

GM doesn't care about appreciation. They care about dollars...which is not unexpected, nor is it bad. They are a business. They will continue to produce performance cars if they are what the customer wants. They MIGHT be a bit more careful and quicker to fix problems that appear.

<It's ******* lawyers like this that just kill any prospects of manufacturers even bringing such products to market ever again. So in a few years, when there is still no Camaro, Firebird, or other affordable RWD V8 sport coupe on dealer floors, that lawyer and all of his clients can pat themselves on the back then go sit in a corner and cry that GM won't make any cool cars anymore, and wonder why.
Again, GM will build what sells. If there's a market for RWD performance cars, GM will build them. If they don't, someone else will, and they know it. Not trying to start a flamefest, but when you pay $40,000 for a vehicle and instead of supporting it, GM changes the definition of "normal" to avoid expense, and over a period of YEARS does nothing to eliminate future problems, you have to wonder who's biting who.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
My opinion is that a some slap when cold is definitely no biggy. Even a tiny bit of slap when warm is no biggy. But VERY noticable slap when fully warm should be fixed by the dealer. I mean, if it's really that bad then your engine is not going to last as long as it should normally.

I bet that wipes out 99.9% of the people who complain of piston slap.
Not for the truck engines. I have seen and heard countless truck engines specially 6.0's that knock(not tick) like ****.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

my 2000 ta with 38k miles does it at startup. i always let it warm up before i drive it but cold weather makes it louder. if i drive it cold with no warm up it gets louder as i push the pedal down to get up to speed. bone stock motor, no n20 yet and it hasnt been driven hard. i use mobil 1 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

Last edited by kev93z; 03-24-2004 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh, this is what you guys are talking about

Quick Reply: GM Lawsuit on "Pistonslap"