Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I switch to synthetic....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The synthetics get better additive packs usually. Most of the time the base stock has a better viscosity index which means less VII's. This means they don't thin at the same rate as conventionals as they age.

Run what you want. No reason to be afraid of synthetic. I usually buy Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. Mobil 1 isn't bad. If you want a little more viscosity I would go with Mobil 1 High Mileage before I did something like go up to the wrong viscosity (like 40 weight or above).

I don't like BP so there is little chance I would go with Castrol.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Do you think they sit back in a big leather chair smoking a tabacco pipe emphasizing on why their so educationaly elite with their Princeton education on motor oils? LOL!
Talk is cheap...especially for someone that has so little knowledge on the subject!!! Your ego's are much bigger than your IQ, on this subject!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not saying royal purple is or isn't a good product, but why does everyone assume that because they advertise it then obviously it's not good? Are we then to assume that every product that is extensively advertised by its manufacturer is inherently a poor product? Then how would we even find out about and use new possibly better products?
Again, I have no experience in this area, just don't think something is bad just because it's advertised. What if all of these other better oils started a massive ad campaign? Would we automatically assume that they changed their formula, their product is now crap, and now the only way to sell it is with marketing? No, they probably just want to get the word out and sell more.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone has claimed a product was bad because of their commercials. However, in 2009 the NAD insisted that they drop their claims about increased power and fuel economy that were not based on any relevant studies, and not supported by EPA testing.

If you want to know more about Royal Purple, or any oil for that matter, try some place like bobistheoilguy and look for used oil analysis and reviews.

Quick Reply: Should I switch to synthetic....